New weapons suggestions and ideas thread

After enough playing of Exanima, you will of had encountered every weapon and probably used every weapon. Even more playing and you'll start getting quite competent at using them. And then I get bored of how generic the weapons are. Mostly just your average knight weaponry and so on. With the world of Sui Generis coming, The whole world will have big things coming. I've been thinking if perhaps there is a merchant of some kind that travels a "silk road" type trail bringing new and exotic things to the part of the world you can mess around with.

So, a list of suggestions and ideas compiled here for new weapons and things. This doesn't have to be added, but ideas are nice to be put down somewhere atleast, right?

The list:

Guandao/"The blade of Guan Yu(關羽)
Should act similarly to the Bill, but has better reach and can slash
The four major weapons of China
Dao/刀/Sword-knife
A medium sized Chinese sword that works much like a Cleaver. Single edged, effective at slashing and chopping. Light to medium weight. Should be able to use well with a shield. Usually has a tassel on the end to dazzle opponents to distract them

Jian/捡/Sword
A double-edged Chinese sword with a length in-between 45-80cm/18-31" depending on make. Medium weight.
It's a strong versatile weapon that probably would be impossible to animate to display true skill. Shields should somehow make the weapon harder to use or wield to it's greatest effect. Usually has a tassel on the end to dazzle opponents to distract them

Gun/棍/Rod/staff
*insert picture of long rod*
I'm not sure how to describe this or how it will work. If staffs get implemented, maybe like that.

Qiang/枪/Spear
It's a spear. Usually with a piece of fabric on the end to dazzle opponents. Should work similarly to spears when they get implemented into the game.

Assorted gunpowder weapons and things to cause explosions would be cool aswell

African and Middle-eastern weapons

Khopesh/Sickle-sword
An sword of Egyptian design. The sword should do well in chopping and acting similar to a hatchet, but is a sword.
(I would add say scimitar but it seems to come too recently in history to fit in this game's fantasy time era sense thing.)Looking closer at the Bardiche, it appears that the design of the one in-game matches up with 16th century design.
Scimitar

The basis for most Middle-Eastern sword designs. Long, curved blade ideal for slashing. Perhaps variants for it would be a Sashmir with a longer blade, or a Pulwar that is thinner and smaller.

European weapons
So far we have a few swords and things from here, but we need more. I think.

Zweihänder/Two-hander
An even longer, heavier, and slower version of the current Two-hander swords. Should be used like an axe almost.
Flame-bladed sword(Variant of above)
Deals mostly red damage due to it's wavy blade that causes more bleeding and how it can saw.

Falchion
A machete like short-sword that should do the same job, but better.

Shashka/Сэшхуэ/Шашка
A Cossack sword, it is an in-between of a saber and sword. Slashing, and thrusting are it's strong points.

Pointy-nugget/Mosin Nagant w/ bayonet/Винтовка Мосина
A long rifle with a long bayonet on the end. Works like a spear or javelin. enough said.

Flail(-mace?)
These already appear to be confirmed, but the one seen in the trailer is too large to wield. I have no idea how these things work so...

Goedendag/???/Good-day(direct dutch translation)
Some kind of spear/club thing. This is more of an anti-cavalry weapon. Probably is going to be useful against animals that charge at you.(please have bears or something to fight)

Ahlspiess/Awl-pike
A long spike on a long stick, seems to be a prison guard weapon. Should be effective in stabbing someone through a cage.
When I get to it, there will be pictures. As of right now, I'm going to bed.

Last edited:

Nynuc

Insider
I want to see a sword thats kinda in between the two handed and one handed. That you can weild with two hands.

dzelziic

I think there is no need for us to think about weapon adding. At least not some chinese culture swords and stuff like that. The weapons You find in Exanima dungeons feels like they should be there, they FIT there. If I would be exploring dungeon like that and I would find some Khopesh/Sickle-sword I would be dissapointed, better to think of something that would fit in the game and not ruin the games atmosphere.
For the Sui Generis I agree, they could add some rare exotic weapon. (It could be bought from merchants, who trade in overseas weapons, or they could be found with some small percentage in some container, but not lying around in some farmers joke of a house)
There is no need for us to think about that because I think the - developers clearly see already what needs to be added and what would fit in the game, and what would ruin the atmosphere. Somehow i think that they have played most of the popular dungeon crawlers like diablo and so on, so they already know a lot of various weapons from these games.

Ideas are nice to be put somewhere yeah, but I could just copy and paste here all of the past dungeon crawlers weapon list. It would be almost the same thing...

-Tim-

Insider
I think there is no need for us to think about weapon adding. At least not some chinese culture swords and stuff like that. The weapons You find in Exanima dungeons feels like they should be there, they FIT there. If I would be exploring dungeon like that and I would find some Khopesh/Sickle-sword I would be dissapointed, better to think of something that would fit in the game and not ruin the games atmosphere.
Why do you feel the particular weapons you have found in Exanima so far fit there and Khopesh/Sickle-swords wouldn't? Why would they not fit the atmosphere?

NachoDawg

Why do you feel the particular weapons you have found in Exanima so far fit there and Khopesh/Sickle-swords wouldn't? Why would they not fit the atmosphere?
A western low-fantasy medieval non-specific era culture. Germanic or Angelo-saxon names and western european expressions in design. The weapons don't just fit the athmosphere but the atmosphere fits the weapons :p

dzelziic

In the dungeon You can find rooms whith wood debris so wooden stick with nails fits. So does fit all the other improvised - found it in the corner weapons like metal bars (because there are metal cages and prison like cells) and so on. Suffice to say that all the other weapons like rusty sword and battle axe feels like they fit too. If in the game would be sickle swords I would find it a bit strange. It is not all about culture weapons, think about When these weapons where usen in history, what time line ? How much hundreds or tousands of years before christ ?
If they just poure all kinds of weapons in one dungeon from different coultures and different time lines, then I would find it a little bit strange. And for me at least it would ruin the atmosphere of the game ^^

-Tim-

Insider
This game, as far as I know, does not take place in Europe, or the West, or the Middle Ages. This is a different world, with different history, different cultural developments and maybe even different laws of nature. Why limit the creative aspects of the game's culture and technology to what we know and are familiar with?

dzelziic

True, but have you no limits in mind ? Items would feel out of place. And you are saying - that you dont care ? More is better for you even if more is not always better ?

Bullethead

that class of weapon is usually called 'bastards sword' usable as 2h and 1h
At least, that's what it was called in English up until say 100 years ago. It had other names in other languages at that time. If you go back to when it was pretty much the standard weapon of the upper classes (1300s-1500s), because of its ubiquity it was usually just called a "sword". And today, folks in the historical medieval fencing circles call it a "longsword". Google up some "longsword fencing" videos to see it in all its glory.

These swords were intended primarily for 2-handed use, at least according to the contemporary fencing treatises, and that's how they're used today. They're not something you use exclusively in 1 hand (so you can also have a shield) unless you're a giant. 1-handed use was for special moves of short duration within a broader context of extended 2-handed swordplay. This is all because these weapons were invented when armor got good enough that you no longer needed a shield, so your left hand now needed something to do, and you needed a bigger weapon anyway to defeat the armor.

So from a game functionality standpoint, the existing 2-handed sword is essentially this "longsword" or "bastard sword". The game version is bit longer than the average "longsword", more like what folks today call a "great sword", yet smaller than the monstrous "zweihanders" (which were specialized battlefield weapons, not things carried for self-defense). Thus, to incorporate the "long-bastard" into the game, all you really need is a slightly shorter 2H model. Make it slightly faster, give it more cut and less impact, and voila.

Nynuc

Insider
At least, that's what it was called in English up until say 100 years ago. It had other names in other languages at that time. If you go back to when it was pretty much the standard weapon of the upper classes (1300s-1500s), because of its ubiquity it was usually just called a "sword". And today, folks in the historical medieval fencing circles call it a "longsword". Google up some "longsword fencing" videos to see it in all its glory.

These swords were intended primarily for 2-handed use, at least according to the contemporary fencing treatises, and that's how they're used today. They're not something you use exclusively in 1 hand (so you can also have a shield) unless you're a giant. 1-handed use was for special moves of short duration within a broader context of extended 2-handed swordplay. This is all because these weapons were invented when armor got good enough that you no longer needed a shield, so your left hand now needed something to do, and you needed a bigger weapon anyway to defeat the armor.

So from a game functionality standpoint, the existing 2-handed sword is essentially this "longsword" or "bastard sword". The game version is bit longer than the average "longsword", more like what folks today call a "great sword", yet smaller than the monstrous "zweihanders" (which were specialized battlefield weapons, not things carried for self-defense). Thus, to incorporate the "long-bastard" into the game, all you really need is a slightly shorter 2H model. Make it slightly faster, give it more cut and less impact, and voila.
although it would be cool to see some new animations.

Iscandar

Let me create a fiction that would make sense for eastern weapons in this game. If there's going to be a foreign type of weapon, it ought to be singular, hard to find, theme fitting, and unique of its kind.

Say that some merchant vessel is shipwrecked in the middle of nowhere in a hard to find location. You go there, but are attacked by other looters trying scavenging for goods. You fend of the plundering scoundrels and go aboard the ship, and find nothing. You begin to walk out disappointed, but what's this? There are some boards under your feet that feel oddly displaced and make a different sound from the others. You realize that there's empty space underneath - a smuggler's compartment! You can't seem to lift it as there's something weighing it down. You look around the ship for some kind of clue. In the captain's cabin, there are assorted books, logs, and notes. You find a note with an unusual diagram. A puzzle commences. You do the puzzle, and the compartment opens, revealing a treasure room. In the center is an unusual plated suit of armor (guy in the middle) along with a curved sword (scimitar).

I'd stick to Eastern European type weapons, with Byzantine and maybe Middle Eastern being as far as it goes. Far eastern type armor and weapons would look really out of place, while Eastern European armor and weapons would be just strange enough to be considered foreign, but not displeasing to the general aesthetic. We already have lamellar armor and bardiches, so it's clear that it works.

Don Kanaille

Insider
It´s pretty hard to draw a line between longswords, bastard swords, greatswords and the like. But a good indicator is the lenght of the handle: If it is long enough so both of your hands can grip it comfortably, even with some space in between, it´s probably a greatsword; if the handle is shorter and the second hand would more likely grab the pommel than the grip itself, it´s probably a longsword/bastard sword.
As others said, the last category was also mainly used two-handed. The main advantage probably is that you can let go with your second hand during a swing or thrust if you like to get som extra reach; but you´d put that hand back on as soon as you retract the sword.

Regarding the topic, I´m a big fan of the "Langes Messer" (long knife), a weapon popular in late medieval Europe. It is basically a single-edged sword constructed like a really long knife and with additional parrying elements at the crossbar. It was a popular self-defense weapon for common people as it would bypass laws restricting sword use to noblemen.
And then there is the "Großes Messer" (great knife), the same basic idea as a weapon of war, typically slightly curved, with more oomph behind it and more focus on cutting power.

Oh, and I would love if a spear-shield combo would be possible. A super-popular setup throughout history with lots of potential.

Last edited:

ezazenyem

Here are my suggestions:
- Godendag
goedendag1.gif
-Ahlspiess
ahlspiess.png
-Estoc

These weapons are also from the European medieval period so they could fit in the world.
Also, check this picture out, according to this, the same weapon types could have wide variety forms and usage.
medieval weapons.jpg

Attachments

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.