Non-Human Races

CrazySwayze

Supporter
Hi,

you said that there will be other races but not something like orcs and elves more like "monster-races" .. i cant imagine that you can play a "monster" just like the human race. Will you be able to play as normal as a human? Or will NPCs react completely different when you interact with em?

Humblerbee

Insider
Hi,

you said that there will be other races but not something like orcs and elves more like "monster-races" .. i cant imagine that you can play a "monster" just like the human race. Will you be able to play as normal as a human? Or will NPCs react completely different when you interact with em?
Insofar as I understand, these other races are dramatically different from standard humans, and will not be playable, I believe the main character must be human. Though it would be very cool to play as these other races, I can see why they decided to make the player human.

Brendan

Developer
Insofar as I understand, these other races are dramatically different from standard humans, and will not be playable, I believe the main character must be human. Though it would be very cool to play as these other races, I can see why they decided to make the player human.
You're right there, Humblerbee.

ah ok then it makes sense ! I thought they were talking about playable races
Mind control, CrazySwayze ;)

Humblerbee

Insider
I am curious, and you obviously don't have to tell me anything if it would spoil the game in any way shape or form, but what are these other races like? Humanity is in the feudal, dark-age era insofar as I can tell from the brief bits we've seen, how advanced are these other races? It's been said that they have cultures completely alien to those of humans, but in what ways? Do they speak, do they have any written languages? Do they have any social structure? Do they live in buildings, do they even have buildings? Can they use and manipulate tools as humans can? How intelligent are they?

Yosepi

Hey, not sure about anything else but I assume the game will have a modding community which will make every race playable, albeit probably not as realistically as the devs would. So you might have to wait some time but if you're desperate I'm sure you will be able to play the other races eventually

Venom

I truly am amazed with the progress of the game, but seeing humans as the only available race is truly disappointing to me. Actually, not to me only. Earlier I asked my brother if he would every play any RPG in which you could only have one form or play as a single race and he IMMEDIATELY said a rough "No. Not at all!" He always preferred using whichever race represented a human with extraordinary height and strength, usually represented in games as Nords or Giants.

Modern RPGS have at least more than one race or more than one form, which usually comes with character progression. What I mean by race is obvious, but with forms I mean some type of powerful or weak state of the character in which the physical appearance and abilities of the character are more appealing and powerful in all aspects or just deteriorating and negative for the character's progression. Even if character forms are mechanics usually used in many side-scrollers, Beat-'em'ups and hack n' slash types of games, I still see it quite necessary and misused in most games of this specific genre.

i'm still sure most will agree with me when I say that various races, even without special abilities of any kind for each one, are a good reason to gain a larger audience since then players can immerse themselves even more into the gameplay and feel closer to their character. I, for example, refuse to play most RPGS as a human since I prefer anything with animal or monstrous traits, such as: orcs, draconians, argonians, lycans, etc. I know quite well that funds are tight and that this idea is not required at all, but if I do not speak them I fear I will have false hopes.

Best luck to all the devs and this marvelous project!

CrazySwayze

Supporter
If it just doesnt fit in their concept then it is fine with me. As long as there are no races where you would think "why couldnt I play as this race?". And they said that other races will be more like "monsters" so not playable at all cause you cant speak to any villager as a bad ass demon right?

So as long as there are no races which you actually could play then its ok with me for having just the human race.

Venom

And they said that other races will be more like "monsters" so not playable at all cause you cant speak to any villager as a bad ass demon right?
I understand this, but it also limits the fact that this is a fantasy world. Most games with more than one race as intelligent as humans include amiable interaction and conflicting thoughts between them in a single scenario. I'd like to provide an example:

An orc is not necessarily some blood-thirsty monstrosity, but is usually regarded as a natural-born killer ready for combat at any moment and placing pride over survival any time. Orcs could then be stereotyped as mercenaries or murderers when all of them are really not. This does not deprive them of their interaction with humans at all since some would still be known to be kind and helpful to society, maybe working as monster hunters themselves to save towns. This is very much a game based on valid intentions, but since the core of the story of the game has not been revealed, which is why I personally think that this project is being funded so slowly, then I seriously don't know what to think about this kind of approach.

Tony

Insider
Having a "play anything you want" option works well in games where story isn't important. They've already stated that the story is important. This limits some of the options they can give a player in order to not sacrifice (and make the story weaker) in order to accommodate a million different options that a player might choose.

Venom

Having a "play anything you want" option works well in games where story isn't important. They've already stated that the story is important. This limits some of the options they can give a player in order to not sacrifice (and make the story weaker) in order to accommodate a million different options that a player might choose.

Is the premise behind the entire game not freedom? Anyone can start in poverty and it would be even more believable if you were of another race between humans. Like I said, absolutely nothing has been revealed about the core of the story other than the main character being a poor villager in the beginning which is why I keep blindly speculating instead of making concrete ideas which could prove to be true later in development. Can race truly be such a conflict in a world filled with so many different types of creatures with astounding intellect? Could the story be completely affected simply by the color of the skin, the broadness of the back and the size of teeth, if not fangs?

Tony

Insider
Well, a few things we do know:

1. Thaumaturgy is a part of your character
2. They've said other races will be treated as "monster races"

Perhaps only humans can use thaumaturgy? And if the other races are considered to be monster races it wouldn't really make much sense having a monster be a "poor villager" (which you start out as).

Venom

If ALL other races will be merely treated as horrific beings then I guess it would make sense to only use humans. Limiting thaumaturgy to humans is absurd, though. No enemy casters or magicians? It's just wrong unless the character truly is the special snowflake of the entire world.

Robert

Insider
I'm guessing that these other races will be different enough to warrant the need for only humans to be playable. The ability to play an Orc or Elf might be simple enough in a world where they are essentially just humans with a few different attributes. But in a world where what appears to be and "Elf" to the local villagers, is actually just a disguise for an Eldridge creature with thousands of years and a large amount of knowledge under its belt, you can't really play as that creature if you are taking everything into account. That creature is capable of making decisions based on wisdom and experience that you are incapable of given your short time in this world. Same for an ogre. It might be really strong, but also stupid. By the nature of the creature you wouldn't be able to communicate with anything other than other ogres...which would probably just involve a lot of head bashing and gross ogre sex. And nobody wants to see that.

It is likely the manner in which these other creatures think and react which will distinguish them. Simply putting you in their body would mean you would still act as yourself. You wouldn't be that character, kind of ruining the idea. But as a human you already know how to behave. Run away when things are hitting you and chat up the bar maids, right?

Robert

Insider
Also, if mod support is added, it might be possible to play another race. You'd just start out with a different story, in a different place. You'd be presented with options that relate to that race.

I'm really just thinking of multiplayer where you would play as the elf and swan around the forest while humans wander around killing and doing their thing. You might have to feed them, or stop them from burning down your forest, or just sit around and think a lot. Whatever elves do.

Tony

Insider
If ALL other races will be merely treated as horrific beings then I guess it would make sense to only use humans. Limiting thaumaturgy to humans is absurd, though. No enemy casters or magicians? It's just wrong unless the character truly is the special snowflake of the entire world.
Why wouldn't you be able to fight other thaumaturgists? They've already stated that you WILL have the option of killing other thaumaturgists and absorbing some of their power. I suppose if you find this idea to be absurd that is your personal opinion but I do not agree with it ;)

Valvar

I'm hoping that with a modkit it will be possible to change the game so that you can play as other races. Of course I'm interested in the storyline, but for me the charm in this game lies more in the open world and the modding possibilities. I can definitely see why playing as anything but human would not work with a storyline, but I would also like to play a sandbox RPG where I can chose to be a dark elf hunting villagers or an orc warrior without thaumaturgy. Obviously, this would be hard if not impossible to incorporate into a story-driven game, but with mod tools it doesn't seem too unrealistic.

Tony

Insider
@Valvar: I agree that it would be nice to see a modkit eventually released. Mods add more value to a game and usually extend a games lifespan. But I'm also very interested in seeing how they introduce the "morally gray" sides of the story and game world. Very few games are geared toward a mature audience, with morally gray and tough decisions. The Witcher games are the only ones that come to mind that have done this successfully (there might be others, but even so they are rare and far between).

PS: I'm having troubles dealing with just how amazing those glasses are in your avatar! :p

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.