Nudity

BrecMadak

Insider
In everyday life we see injustice punishments, wars, crime against humanity, being exposed to defamation, jugglery, lies, and every kind of a ton worser filth we get quiet ! But when nudity matters every kind of people overracts for the sake of pretentiousness, which is the silliest thing that mankind should be ashemed in the first place.
You can now continue discussing how nudity is bad for one's health (!)

Infidel

Insider
I hope there's a remote village in this game where the occupants are divided into two zealous groups; one that wears iron underpants riveted on so they can never be removed and another that doesn't want to wear them.

After some dialogue in which the Cult of the Iron Pants insists everyone must wear their symbols of virtue a fight could break out where both sides viscerally slaughter each other. During the fight arms, legs and heads are removed until finally, standing knee deep in body parts, blood, guts and gore a lone survivor stands with sunlight glinting off his armoured unmentionables to proudly proclaim...

"This town has been made safe for our children."

Kaizer0002

Insider
I don't care one way or another about nudity itself in gaming. What only matters is the developer's aim when it is utilized. Putting ESRB/PEGI ratings aside (since they're only required if you want to put the game on shelves), the two considerations that come primarily to mind: intended audience and artistic purpose.

Intended audience would break down first into demographics and geography, bla bla appealing to ages groups and cultures. Taken more personally, some people refuse to play a game outright if it contains certain elements. As an example, Tera. I never paid much interest to begin with because of the whole women in skimpy outfits nonsense, but a friend brought it to my attention that one of the races are a group of things that look like children but can dress just as scantily. It disgusts him when people claim that things are fine because they might look like 8 year olds but they're really 30 or whatever.

Which brings me to artistic purpose in a meandering sort of a way. We can point to plenty of examples where it was done because they wanted silly fun (Saints Row 3), shock value (GTA 4), narrative (Witcher 2), realism (Sims), or.. whatever (Witcher 1). It has to be considered because for whatever the reason, it will be noticed. Now, the reasoning people keep bringing up for Sui Generis is fun vs realism, because it's perfectly reasonable for a murder to take the underwear off your corpse or for your character to want to be completely naked for whatever reason.

Since violence is the popular equivalent, I have a fun story that doesn't include Postal or Manhunt. There was a title people don't bring up very often whose name escapes me, but it was in that era when every developer was churning out WWII shooters, I think before ragdoll physics. One group of developers were very proud that they had created realistic damage on corpses to the point of seeing the bones and muscles and organs beneath. Seeing as it didn't catch on, you probably know where this story is going. You could argue it was an achievement of modeling but it was portrayed as just another fun WWII game, not as one about harsh realities and horrors of war. They would show it off by blowing chunks out of corpses in game. Giblets are still fine, mind you (Fallout 3, Doom, etc.) because it's meant as unrealistic fun.

I'd reason that a part of why people want Sui Generis to have nudity is we want them to have every asset available to create a compelling world and trust them to use it responsibly. If they can't conceive of any reason to have it included, why bother cutting out a portion of the market who might be dissuaded just because of a bit of nudity.

Edit: Upon research, I think the game I was thinking of was Soldier of Fortune.

exhAustad

Insider
Edit: Upon research, I think the game I was thinking of was Soldier of Fortune.
Yes, that was actually a fun game (I'm not weird for liking blood and gore am I?). It was on the news several times here in Norway, where they talked about how games makes stone cold killers out of children who play them.

And about nudity; I don't want it to be added "just because". But I also don't want it to be removed/hidden because their "afraid" of it.
So what I mean is that if they, somewhere along the storyline, they see that nudity might be "natural" to the story, I'd say they should go for it!

MrIdontKnow

Insider
Yes, that was actually a fun game (I'm not weird for liking blood and gore am I?). It was on the news several times here in Norway, where they talked about how games makes stone cold killers out of children who play them.

And about nudity; I don't want it to be added "just because". But I also don't want it to be removed/hidden because their "afraid" of it.
So what I mean is that if they, somewhere along the storyline, they see that nudity might be "natural" to the story, I'd say they should go for it!

I love Gore and Blood games, I'm not weird, I just keep people in the basement.

Hanskrsg

Insider
I vote for not hiding/censoring the nudity they have already created on the models. Let us choose if we want to use undergarments or not, some people go commando you know ;). The only good TES game had a zillion clothes choices and nudity. Added to the rpg feel for me.

Ickorus

Insider
I'm not bothered by it but I don't think they plan on having full nudity in the game because it isn't really necessary and could bump the age rating of the game up meaning a smaller audience.

If it was up to me I would let players take underwear off in-game but have a censor appear when such happens (so extra flavor can be added for when your character is stark naked) and then have a file in the game files that can be removed to take away the censor, that way the age rating stays the same and people who really really want nudity in the game won't feel left out.

Fawz

Insider
If it's not a central them to the game, which it isn't, nudity doesn't bring enough (if any) positive elements to counter the assured backlash it'll be getting. Be it a bad ESRB rating, bad press that focuses on that aspect or a community that builds around that and messes up the game's focus.

It really isn't worth it, and for those who want nudity for the sake of nudity then just look into moding the game. It's been done with tons of games and is a great middle ground solution.

Parco

Agree with fawz, just being able to strip down the the underwear is enough, nudity isnt the reason were gonna play this game, but im quite sure once the alpha comes out someone is gonna make a nudity mod and im gonna be one of the first to try it :p
but looking how bloody and gory this game will be im sure the age rating will stay around 16+ or 18+ or something and adding a few nipples shouldnt change that, but no matter what ESRB rating 12 year old kids will still be playing it because their parents have no clue what a computer is and have no idea what their kid is doing on it.

Fawz

Insider
Are you serious? Did you not hear about the hot coffee thing with SA? Or all the bad press they got in a lot of news places for the sexual themes? Sex in games is still a super touchy subject. With all their vast resources and Rockstar still took some major hits. For a small developer like Bare Mettle it really isn't worth taking the risk.

My point though is what would nudity bring to make the game better? Will that aspect actually be used for the game? And is it worth including Nudity retail for those benefits at the risk of the other negative aspects?

Oona

Insider
I don't think the game will get bad press for including nudity. The bad press for GTA didn't exactly come from the nudity either.

I do think that if they include it though they'll stir up things in the internet and get more publicity. But not bad press. We'll probably get a lot of articles in game sites like "Nudity in games: Yes or no? Bare Mettle says yes!" :p

cosmo bozo

Insider
Are you serious? Did you not hear about the hot coffee thing with SA? Or all the bad press they got in a lot of news places for the sexual themes? Sex in games is still a super touchy subject. With all their vast resources and Rockstar still took some major hits. For a small developer like Bare Mettle it really isn't worth taking the risk.

My point though is what would nudity bring to make the game better? Will that aspect actually be used for the game? And is it worth including Nudity retail for those benefits at the risk of the other negative aspects?
GTA outsold just about everything except call of duty (which incidentally, had bad press)....and it's had bad press ever since GTA1, I think all the spluttering MPs and moral campaigners did it the world of good...it's not the morally outraged who actually buys games after all...
anyway, loads of games have had nudity, it's no big thing, and I don't care either way, but if i had to vote in a poll, I'd vote to include it.

Kale

Insider
Bad press does sell copies. It's really just press that gets the name out there, and when it's something like nudity, it'll probably be talked about. Not to mention the people who'll be interested in said nudity, and people who are curious.

The hot coffee controversy was really more about the act of sex, I think. But look at where we are now. GoW is an extremely high selling game and people, game sites and reviewers even play it up like it's so awesome.

That said, my stance on this hasn't changed. It doesn't do anything for the game. Unless there is a scene where you are burn and the clothes with you, yet for some reason the cotton underwear you are wearing is still intact.

If there is nudity, have it in full, no censor blobs or inartistic leaf placed ungracefully. (Though, it might be humorous to see some placed in an artful way to obstruct view.) If not, then not.

BigT2themax

Insider
Wow, this argument has been going on for a while now, huh? Even if it's been slow. Funny how much of an argument this has spawned.

Anyways. In my opinion, I'd say no. There's no point, really. Unless the player stumbles across some sort of nudist colony or something like that (which is unlikely), there's no reason for any character (player OR NPC) to go around naked. The thought of people running around naked in the game just removes any kind of seriousness about the setting, even more so than playing a really silly looking character that wears clothes would. Yes, it'd even be sillier than a person with dwarfism riding a warsheep into battle would be.

And, about the bad press... There probably wouldn't be any real controversy about it. Some people would get offended, but they'd most likely just realise that it's just a character that removed all their equipment, and that's it. More likely, some people would likely poke fun at the fact that, in a serious, gritty game setting like this, you can go adventuring in your birthday suit.

Also related to the press controversy, the 'hot coffee' controversy hit rockstar so badly because they only removed the sex-related things fairly close to the game's release, I believe, so they could only remove it by quickly adding in a few lines of code that made it impossible to access these things. The ESRB would have given the game a more mature age rating if it was in there, and when someone hacked the game and realised that the sex stuff was still in there, then everyone went mental because the content was technically still in the game. The fact that Rockstar released the game with the controversial stuff still in it (hidden very deeply, mind you) was what caused the backlash.

That said, my stance on this hasn't changed. It doesn't do anything for the game. Unless there is a scene where you are burn and the clothes with you, yet for some reason the cotton underwear you are wearing is still intact.
To be fair, if you got burned up and all your clothes were burnt away, the devs would probably just place a bunch of 'burnt skin' textures on your character instead of just having their underwear be fireproof.

I still don't get why so many of you want to walk around naked in this game. There's no point, and in my opinion, it would really detract from the game's general feel if it were possible to do that.

Prasse

Insider
I feel like this discussion has been up for... umm discussion before :p. And just to add to the thread i´d like to once again state that i would like BM to go full frontal with this one. It´s dark, it´s realistic, give us naked elfs.
If not for me then do it for the children!

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I feel like this discussion has been up for... umm discussion before :p. And just to add to the thread i´d like to once again state that i would like BM to go full frontal with this one. It´s dark, it´s realistic, give us naked elfs.
If not for me then do it for the children!
Do it for the children lmao, daddy, what's that?

BigT2themax

Insider
Well, if it's done tastefully, I suppose it could be okay in cutscenes or situations where it would make sense, maybe give it a bit of a game of thrones vibe? That's the only thing I can think of that did nudity in a way that didn't make things seem silly or anything.

What I don't really want is for the devs to devote time and energy to modeling unmentionable parts and making NPCs react to naked characters just so people can run around naked for the sake of being silly. Although, people would probably make a mod that lets you take off your underwear too, so whatever. People can do that if they want.

Worse still would be for the devs to put nudity in the game because people just want to see naked elves. There's a whole internet of naked pictures out there. I'm sure you're capable of using a search engine. :p

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.