Postponement

Fawz

Insider
That sounds great, I really like this plan. Having something playable that will not spoil the main game and wont set back development too much is fantastic! I can't wait for February :D

Taking more time for the final product because of an increase in quality expectation is another good thing. Despite there being plans for a constant stream of free updates to be made to the base game, the level of quality the game is in on day 1 is very important. Really glad you guys are willing to take as much time as you need. Keep it up!

Pilluminati

Insider
This is great news. I know exactly how it can be when trying to code on a deadline, you end up making decisions that just work but might not be optimal in the long run which in the end becomes a mess. Please, take your time. Write some beautiful, decoupled & modular code!

Rob

Absolutely perfect.

As others have already said, I'm really glad we're getting a prelude (AKA demo) rather than a broken / cut down version of the final game. Really don't want to spoil the final game by playing it early!

Plus I suppose there's no reason that the prelude can't be distributed for free once the final game is released - it would act like a demo, and would likely result in many more sales!

I'm certainly glad that the focus is on quality rather than speed. Bide your time. That's always my mantra. However, I'm always pleasantly astonished just how much of the community share that sentiment. I think that goes to show what a loyal fanbase Sui Generis has gained, and how much respect and trust we have for the devs and their ability to produce.

As said in the update:
What we weren't prepared for when we set our release date is the difficulties we would encounter in the Kickstarter campaign and the level of quality people were demanding on every front. We assumed that as an indie team trying to do things differently some things would be forgiven. This critical response has driven us to achieve higher quality standards than we were originally aiming for
It's true that a lower standard of quality would often be forgiven for a small indie team, but again I think the community really believe in the project, and the ability of the devs to create something truly beautiful.

When you want more and better we wholeheartedly agree, this for us is the game, not just a game.
The current plan sounds great, and I'm not sure that the negative/apologetic tone of the update "postponement" is required - we're fully in support of this move!!!

Many thanks for the update, and for giving us an anticipated time schedule!!!

Fresh

Insider
Sad in a way, because it's the only game I'm actually looking forward to. Atleast I can expect a playable demo/alpha in not too long. To be honest I think the developers are taking too much in. I mean, they shouldn't take every feedback seriously in my opinion - like the suggestions for naval combat and complicated NPC reaction systems towards nudity and other things.

Many games (both released and in development) have feedback options, but in 95% of the cases the developers don't take them seriously in my experience. I'm not saying you shouldn't take any feedback, but this game is still your own vision, this is your project. It's this vision that made us want to contribute in the first place. I hope you don't wander off too much into community daydreams and keep the eyes on the road.

Happy holidays!

Rob

To be honest I think the developers are taking too much in. I mean, they shouldn't take every feedback seriously in my opinion - like the suggestions for naval combat and complicated NPC reaction systems towards nudity and other things.
I see what you're saying, but I really don't think there's any concern of that here. The devs are not sheep. They won't put something in just because people in the community want it. Certainly naval combat won't be in consideration. And complicated NPC reaction systems towards nudity etc. will not be built in as exceptions - if they are there then it will be because that's in keeping with the way they've made the game.

Many games (both released and in development) have feedback options, but in 95% of the cases the developers don't take them seriously in my experience. I'm not saying you shouldn't take any feedback, but this game is still your own vision, this is your project. It's this vision that made us want to contribute in the first place. I hope you don't wander off too much into community daydreams and keep the eyes on the road.
I think we should be grateful that BM are enthusiastic to listen to us, rather than just take our money and then not care what we think. The important thing is that they listen to our comments, and take it on board. I don't believe BM are in danger of wandering off into community daydreams - they seem way too focused and professional for that. Whether or not they implement our suggestions will be due to whether or not they like our suggestions and believe they are suitable and in fitting with their visions for the game.

If you look at the recent vids, you will see that few of the suggestions made in the forum have been implemented. Some of them have, but not that many. BM are still making the game they want to make. And they are letting us help them make it.

I can see where your concern is coming from, but I don't think you need to be worried about that.

Scarecrow

Insider
Sounds good to me, I too think its a good thing you are taking your time and releasing the game you really want it to be, and not something that is unfinished. No problems folks!

Great to know approximately when we'll be getting the Alpha version, and it sounds like a really cool idea. Can't wait for it! Also, happy holidays! You deserve the R&R.

I like most of you think this is a great idea. The one concern I have really is the fact that we won't really be able to provide feedback on stuff that's largely incomplete with the prelude. By that I mean, we won't be able to get involved with big features being implemented. We'll get combat and items and enemies. But beyond that, not much else. And since they've already spent such a long time on these mechanics, we can probably only help with balance. Which is good, but it would still be nice to be able to help more. Unless of course if the prelude is updated with new mechanics, or if we get a parallel alpha of the actual game.

But please don't misunderstand, I think this is great news.

Rob

I like most of you think this is a great idea. The one concern I have really is the fact that we won't really be able to provide feedback on stuff that's largely incomplete with the prelude. By that I mean, we won't be able to get involved with big features being implemented. We'll get combat and items and enemies. But beyond that, not much else. And since they've already spent such a long time on these mechanics, we can probably only help with balance. Which is good, but it would still be nice to be able to help more. Unless of course if the prelude is updated with new mechanics, or if we get a parallel alpha of the actual game.

Hmmm... I can see what you're thinking, but I don't think that's how I read the update. Sure, we won't be able to provide feedback on the final map and the final story, but we should be able to provide feedback on everything else, right? As fundamental improvements are made throughout the development process, these improvements will propagate through both the prelude and the final game.

What sort of feedback were you hoping to provide that you won't be able to via a prelude? I'm sure that if you vocalize your concerns explicitly BM will take that into consideration.

Komuflage

Insider

Nothing is stopping them from beta testing both the prelude and the "real" game. (like you mention in the last sentence) That way we can help get the prelude in shape for it's Public release, and after that we'll help get the final version into shape.

lvk

Insider
@Komuflage They are going to. Most probably the prelude is the alpha, and the actual game is the beta. If it follows the traditional alpha/beta scheme, the beta will be feature-complete and will be a phase exclusively for finding and fixing bugs before the actual release.

My real concern is that we won't be able to have much input on the roleplaying aspects much from the prelude. In that things like dialogue systems and NPC behaviour will be somewhat limited in functionality in the prelude. I think that's where we'll be most helpful. Because I'm sure someone said "AI is only as smart as it's developer", and how smart would the "developer" be if there 500 people giving him ideas. Adding new ways of thinking to the AI in this game is probably what makes the AI better, like the ability to scheme, or the ability to empathize or work out when to deceive. And as I read this update I started to think this stuff won't be in the prelude. If they do parallel development and testing then I'm very happy. But I don't want to miss an alpha of the game while they do beta for the prelude.

I'm very happy that the prelude will be so closed off though, should add a lot to the mystery surrounding this game. Especially if it is in-fact just the underworld and a lot of combat. Little things like passages from books and snippets of dialogue could hint at the outside worlds perception of things and the falsehoods that people may have lead themselves to believe. Leaving the opportunity of discovery up to the player in the actual game. I think it would be really cool if the underworld was different, or somewhat larger in the actual game though, because I know I'm gonna play the hell out of this prelude.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Yeah, sounds great! Thanks for the clarification Brendan!

As we continue work on the main game we will also be adding completed features to the prelude.
So I suppose that general game features such as dialogue systems and NPC behaviour can just pop up in the prelude as and when they are implemented, right?
Then the alpha>beta>release of full game will literally just be testing the map & RPG elements of the final game (and any final bugs that pop up), since the underlying systems will have already been tested during the prelude phase.

BigT2themax

Insider
You know, I was actually wondering when people were going to start talking about the schedules and deadlines for the game. It is SO awesome to see you guys be so professional about it and just come up and address the issue with such honesty and transparency.

This news about the postponement isn't at all unexpected or dissapointing, to be honest. Seeing the time fly by, I kinda figured it'd happen sooner or later. But with the scope of this game being so amazing, it's definitely going to be worth it, I'm sure of it. :)

Keep at it, Bare Mettle! You're destined for great things! You guys rock!

hannes77

Insider
Im so excited to hear about the alpha release of the pre-launch game in feb. I Cant wait. Im glad you guys are taking your time. Im by far the most excited for this game out of everything that im w8ting for. You guys are awesum and have really inspired me. youre awesum !!!!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.