Postponement

Sandalwood

Insider
i guess i'm a little sad, that we don't get the alpha as a christmas present but i trust that you do what is best and fully understand that you want to take a little timout around that time of the year :D

What we weren't prepared for when we set our release date is the difficulties we would encounter in the Kickstarter campaign and the level of quality people were demanding on every front. We assumed that as an indie team trying to do things differently some things would be forgiven. This critical response has driven us to achieve higher quality standards than we were originally aiming for and this has been very time consuminge
wow! not every dev would take feedback so serious. you make me even prouder to have backed this game right from the beginning, but please don't stress yourself tooo much ^^

Psychomorph

Insider
We hope that you can forgive us for this delay
I pretty much counted on a postponement to be honest. Was just waiting when you'd make it official, ghehe.

It is simply the nature of things that a small indie dev needs more time and more effort to do what was initially planned, especially with such a critical community like us. Can't fight fate.

I count with at least a year of delay.

Slvrbuu

Insider
I can respect your decision. I'd rather play a polished, fleshed out game then a buggy, quickly finished one. Hopefully you get more contributors between then and now to help with the costs of delaying it longer. Good luck! :D

You guys (as in Baremettle) should probably update some stuff on this website. The date of release on the contributions page for example needs to be adjusted.

pareod

Insider
Question: I have yet to back the game, due to financial priorities; however, I intent to buy the $60 beta access pack, and I was wondering if the prelude will eventually be available to all players?

Fawz

Insider
Question: I have yet to back the game, due to financial priorities; however, I intent to buy the $60 beta access pack, and I was wondering if the prelude will eventually be available to all players?
From the posts by BM here on the forums and the Kickstarter update #25 post, here's what I gathered

Prelude: (Prologue set a few years before the main game and lacking features full release will contain)
Alpha - February 2014 - Only available to Alpha tier backers
Beta - March~April 2014 - Only available to Beta and Alpha tier backers
Final - May~June 2014 - Available to all Backers

Full Release:
Alpha - TBD (2014/2015) - Only available to Alpha tier backers
Beta - TBD (2014/2015) - Only available to Beta and Alpha tier backers
Final - TBD (2014/2015) - Available to all Backers

There's still some time until all of this, so the details are bound to change. If people have the same rewards I don't think there's going to be any differentiation between those who backed the game through Kickstarter and people who backed through the website.

Huatim

Insider
From the posts by BM here on the forums and the Kickstarter update #25 post, here's what I gathered

Prelude: (Prologue set a few years before the main game and lacking features full release will contain)
Alpha - February 2014 - Only available to Alpha tier backers
Beta - March~April 2014 - Only available to Beta and Alpha tier backers
Final - May~June 2014 - Available to all Backers

Full Release:
Alpha - TBD (2014/2015) - Only available to Alpha tier backers
Beta - TBD (2014/2015) - Only available to Beta and Alpha tier backers
Final - TBD (2014/2015) - Available to all Backers

There's still some time until all of this, so the details are bound to change. If people have the same rewards I don't think there's going to be any differentiation between those who backed the game through Kickstarter and people who backed through the website.
Contributionsd page info
The Sui Generis prelude has a planned release date of May 2014. 2 months earlier alpha version? It's sure? :)

Sui Generis has a release date TBC.

Ouch "We're going to take our first and only holiday over Christmas to visit friends and family and we plan to release an alpha version of the prelude in February" it's true ^^

Last edited:

Shellshock

Insider
No worries, guys - I only speak on my behalf now, but I would rather wait and have a finished product that appeals to both you and me instead of something unfinished that gets slowly patched into the state it was supposed to be in in the first place.

Also, happy holidays :)

Rev

Insider
I can wait for the full game. Just want to test out the engine and bludgeon my mate over LAN. I know they have said it's not optimised for internet use but me and my friend have both got high speed internet, should be fine over hamachi? What you guys reckon?

Brendan

Developer
I can wait for the full game. Just want to test out the engine and bludgeon my mate over LAN. I know they have said it's not optimised for internet use but me and my friend have both got high speed internet, should be fine over hamachi? What you guys reckon?
Providing an option for internet play isn't the problem; TCP/IP is the same WAN or LAN, it's just the fact that your latency and/or bandwidth will probably be insufficient. The speed of light is too slow :( Gief quantum entanglement :p What's your ping to each other and upstream bandwidths?

Beyre

Insider
No worries at all guys! I'm more interested in the experiment than in the full game anyway, and trying to please everyone never gets anything cool done... There are a lot of people who support this game to give you the freedom to develop your vision (and see what comes out of it)! But I must say, when I first read the kickstarter I was exited, because I could really understand what you wanted to create: game that is not really "made for you" like for example skyrim, but a harsh environment that exists and has you dropped into it. I hoped that on the insider forum there would be more discussion about the idea behind the game and the intentions of the creators: more like the philosophy of the game, the reasons why you are making this, the feeling you want to convey to the player... But I guess this really hard to convey. Anyhow, the thing you guys are making is unique, has never been done before and you should trust in your original intentions... My guess is the world will follow :)

Rev

Insider
Providing an option for internet play isn't the problem; TCP/IP is the same WAN or LAN, it's just the fact that your latency and/or bandwidth will probably be insufficient. The speed of light is too slow :( Gief quantum entanglement :p What's your ping to each other and upstream bandwidths?
I pinged him the other day over Hamachi and came up 12-14ms...

Brendan

Developer
I pinged him the other day over Hamachi and came up 12-14ms...
Nice! That's about as good as it gets latency wise on a consumer connection. First hop ping (basically the time it takes to get to the internet and back) on a fast path DSL line is typically ~10ms, interleaved DSL lines (interleaving is an ISP setting on DSL lines to reduce errors and you can often get them to turn it off) and cable connections (in the UK at least) are slower, typically ~20-40ms. Distance/route obviously then adds to that, but within a small EU country it's usually negligible. Bandwidth may become a concern for full on multiplayer but for 1v1 duelling it realistically won't be.

Don't want to make any promises, but in your case at least, it *should* actually work fine :)

666jet

Insider
Nice! That's about as good as it gets latency wise on a consumer connection. :)

Are you guys planning in the long run I know probably not on full release but maybe in the future have a dedicated server client as the clan I'm currently in has a server with a nice connection 500-600 download and upload

Brendan

Developer
Will the prelude be released by the end of February? :rolleyes:
The first alpha version of the prelude, that is still the plan yes :eek:

Since announcing the postponement we've been working on a number of features and improvements, things that are very important but we weren't comfortable dedicating time to until now. Most of these will make it into the prelude. Right now our biggest concern is turning what we have into an actual distributable game which is a lot of work in itself...

The very first alpha is going to be basic, it likely won't resemble a feature complete game or the final prelude but it will at least give you something to try. It will also be a good base for development and once we get it out you can expect to see some fairly rapid progression :)

Komuflage

Insider
The first alpha version of the prelude, that is still the plan yes :eek:

Since announcing the postponement we've been working on a number of features and improvements, things that are very important but we weren't comfortable dedicating time to until now. Most of these will make it into the prelude. Right now our biggest concern is turning what we have into an actual distributable game which is a lot of work in itself...

The very first alpha is going to be basic, it likely won't resemble a feature complete game or the final prelude but it will at least give you something to try. It will also be a good base for development and once we get it out you can expect to see some fairly rapid progression :)
Thanks for the reply, however I noticed now afterwards that I formulated my sentence a bit wrong. My bad.

What I meant to ask was whatever the prelude alpha is going to be released in early or late February :oops:
I know the Complete version of it will be released later, as stated in the first post in this topic.

Rev

Insider
I have paid for the digital alpha package, £40 for two copies and access to alpha and beta. But I would pay that again just for the prelude. I can honestly say, as a person that spends way too much money on video games, a steam library that is compliled of some gems... But 75% of them have a combined game time of 57mins. I do not think I will ever get bored of the physics system alone in Sui Generis. I just want to pick up a pitchfork and dance around a ogre poking him in the kneecaps or bring down a two handed sword on someones collarbone and watch his body buckle under the sheer force.

Some people beleive Jesus Christ is their saviour, but mine is you guys at Sui Generis creating dreams....

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.