Quick video showing difference between pugilism in 6.4.x and 6.5.x

dennisftw

Made a thread in feedback about why I feel pugilism felt like it was downgraded in the recent patch but couldn't really explain it properly so heres a video I made showing the difference the 2 versions. In the video you would notice that none of the hits made in 6.5.x could really match the impact those in the previous version had.

6.5.x starts at around 2min mark

MrApophos

I understand what you mean about the "feel" - but I have to say IMO it looks better now? Less flying blood on punches, less momentum transfered. I like it. Looks like real fisticuffs now.

Pc Genie

I will attempt not to sound like I'm copying MrApophos' homework, but I also feel like it's more realistic.

A human punch (even if very well executed) should not send everybody falling down with spurts of blood every single time as far as I can tell. Sure, it is extremely hard to get any significant stagger or bleed from a single punching attack, but I feel that it makes more sense.

You know what would make Exanima take a giant leap in fun and realism combined? Wrestling. People should be punishing each other for getting in cuddle distance by throwing each other about or even doing takedowns (with physics difficulty akin to all the rest of Exanima's combat). I fear we may never see that however as it is a great technical difficulty, so we've probably not seen the end of combative snuggle buddies.

Axel198

A well executed jab not knocking somebody unconscious with blood everywhere is one thing, but delivering a lunging flying haymaker straight into their unguarded nose most definitely should.
Punches, especially punches one is not prepared for, are bloody brutal. And under no circumstances should a punch like that cause someone to fold and flail all over the place like a towel but still remain on their feet and throw a swing immediately.
I understand the changes in the unarmed combat, but there is definitely significantly less satisfaction. It is still possible to get those solid punches, but it is incredibly difficult and feels more like RNG than anything else.

I think something that would definitely improve it though would be nonlethal impact damage with the back or sides of the head and the ground dictated by force of impact. The other day I hit someone with the pole in Arena and they flipped and SMASHED their head into the ground. it literally hit first, bounced off, and then their legs hit the ground. There was no sound effect. There was no additional damage.

Considering the difficulty in knocking someone down with a punch, perhaps having them be able to smack the back of their head on the ground with a blood decal and some damage dependent on force of impact would bring some of that satisfaction back. Though I can't determine how difficult that would be.

And yes, need more wrasslin'.

dennisftw

A human punch (even if very well executed) should not send everybody falling down with spurts of blood every single time as far as I can tell. Sure, it is extremely hard to get any significant stagger or bleed from a single punching attack, but I feel that it makes more sense.
The punches im throwing in the video would elicit the same reactions if someone got hit by them irl, I do boxing and I can tell you that if someone got hit those punches shown in 6.4.x with that big of a weight difference they would drop even harder but just with slightly less blood. Like axel said the punches were thrown with the full bodyweight behind them not to mention my character is max height and on steroids. I'm only showing highlights in the video a normal hit would not drop someone like that, the main problem is that in 6.4.x even though its not too difficult it still took skill and accuracy to get those punches whereas now it feels like im just getting lucky with hits every now and then.

But you know what would make it even more realistic than wrestling? Having fists instead of karate chop hands, I would also like to be able to jab which could be tied to the thrust button

Last edited:

MrApophos

I don't wish to derail this thread, but:

"they flipped and SMASHED their head into the ground. it literally hit first, bounced off, and then their legs hit the ground. There was no sound effect. There was no additional damage."

Is fall damage to be implimented? I've been sent flying clear across the arena, smashed into walls, landed upside down, and my character has made noises to reflect this, but I haven't seen any additional damage?

dennisftw

I don't wish to derail this thread, but:

"they flipped and SMASHED their head into the ground. it literally hit first, bounced off, and then their legs hit the ground. There was no sound effect. There was no additional damage."

Is fall damage to be implimented? I've been sent flying clear across the arena, smashed into walls, landed upside down, and my character has made noises to reflect this, but I haven't seen any additional damage?
Definitely hasnt been implemented been thrown around all over the place when fighting ogre never been hurt, I do wish we could get a sandbox mode with editor. Not sure if you've played overgrowth but in that game you could change the force of your hits so they would send enemies flying, would love to do that in exanima.

Tony

Insider
Fall damage was implemented in early builds then later disabled since it was causing too many issues. It'll likely be enabled again when Madoc has time to work on it.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.