Real world physics...

sean archer

Insider
I was just wondering, as impressive as the physics are with combat, I noticed that the knight in full plate armor didn't seem to be hindered to badly; either when he ran, or getting up after being pounded by the morning star from hell. I know there needs to be a balance between game-play and how close your physics is to real world, but will that Night eventually have to struggle to get up off the floor?(seeing that full plate armor should weigh in around 30kgs) The fact that someone is running around in full plate sorta detracts from any realism....

BigT2themax

Insider
I'm guessing they haven't implemented the wieght of the armor yet, or you'll be able to get better armor skills so heavier armors don't affect you very much.

However, I do think it'd be nice to have equipped items hinder you and put you off balance in certain ways, if it's heavy and you're not used to it. That way you couldn't wear a helmet made of granite without falling over unless you put some serious work into neck strength training. In an ideal world, the weight of all the items you're carrying (excluding your equipment) would be implemented by having a bag you carry around with your stuff in it, but I think one of the developers said no to that? Not sure.

In any case, yeah, that'd be neat. Obviously it should be possible to get skilled in armor and not be too affected by it, because otherwise nobody'd wear armor as it would get annoying to walk around.

Thing is I don't think a knight from back in the day would go around all day every day wearing full plate & would surely only travel in plate if on a horse. It all depends how real BM wants the game to be. Personally I feel the more realistic the better since we are trying to get away from generic. Therefore I would like to see full plate armour restrict agility & stamina considerably regardless of the players experience wearing it. Likewise owning a horse & a home with somewhere store armour should be a requirement of using plate armour purely for practical reasons.

Merlkir

Insider
It's entirely possible to run in armour. Skip to about 35:20 here:

I do get it, the image of an adventurer never taking his armour off is rather...wrong. ;)

sean archer

Insider
We'll I agree that you can run in full plate, but not the distances that the Night is running in game?

Cool clip by the way, very informative :)

Tony

Insider
We'll I agree that you can run in full plate, but not the distances that the Night is running in game?

Cool clip by the way, very informative :)
Considering that modern day soldiers are capable of functioning, marching long distances and engaging in combat with heavier gear than a fully armored knight I don't see any problem with people doing it in Sui Generis.

Considering that modern day soldiers are capable of functioning, marching long distances and engaging in combat with heavier gear than a fully armored knight I don't see any problem with people doing it in Sui Generis.
In all fairness, the modern soldier isn't in a tin can.

walltar

Insider
Nor he does fight with sword.

I think that running and marching are two separate things. But we must be realistic ... you can't have game where caracter only walks. I would bite of my leg walking somewhere.... i tried to walk in skyrim for a while and i failed, it was so boring. So i think there will be running in plate.

Tony

Insider
Obviously. But how does this relate to anything? Someone wearing a full suit of plate armor was capable of sitting down, standing up, mounting a horse, doing a cartwheel, sprinting and if it was a well made suit they had a full range of motion. You could even say that a soldier in full plate was less hindered than a modern day soldier since their armor was pretty evenly distributed over the entire body instead of having almost all the weight being supported by the upper body (which is the case of the modern day soldier).

I think that running and marching are two separate things. But we must be realistic ... you can't have game where caracter only walks. I would bite of my leg walking somewhere.... i tried to walk in skyrim for a while and i failed, it was so boring. So i think there will be running in plate.
Ok, and what makes you think running and sprinting in plate weren't possible? A double time march is about the same pace as jogging. Modern day soldiers are wearing more weight that is less evenly distributed than someone in a suit of armor and while training they are forced on long distance double time marches while fully geared.

walltar

Insider
Ok, and what makes you think running and sprinting in plate weren't possible? A double time march is about the same pace as jogging. Modern day soldiers are wearing more weight that is less evenly distributed than someone in a suit of armor and while training they are forced on long distance double time marches while fully geared.
Never said it isn't possible ... I am just saying that you can march longer distances than sprint ... I don't know how long you can run in armor RL but in RPG you have to be able to run all the time or it will become realy annoying. So really debates about how long you can run in armour are for no use. I think that all you can do is place some max speed multiplier on plate.

And one thing ... i think you are generaly speaking about good custom made armour ... in rpg games you mostly loot some second hand armour or buy something generic from store ... they have it in stock when you come. If you use such armour it could be harder to run and so.

Tony

Insider
Never said it isn't possible ... I am just saying that you can march longer distances than sprint ... I don't know how long you can run in armor RL but in RPG you have to be able to run all the time or it will become realy annoying. So really debates about how long you can run in armour are for no use. I think that all you can do is place some max speed multiplier on plate.

And one thing ... i think you are generaly speaking about good custom made armour ... in rpg games you mostly loot some second hand armour or buy something generic from store ... they have it in stock when you come. If you use such armour it could be harder to run and so.
Well, if they want to make the game feel realistic they should take real stamina into consideration. In my opinion they should make it possible to jog long distances while fully armored (this simulates a long distance double time march). They should also add the ability to sprint a very short distance (how far should be determined by how much weight you are carrying and how strong your character is).

acrimoneyius

Insider
I think a nice compromise between realistic and fun would be to have movement speed/stamina run out more quickly while engaged in combat, but not so much while just traveling.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.