Romance

Oona

Insider
I like deep character interaction in RPGs. The main character acts, certain NPC react and a relationship forms. That can be friendship, hate, something in between, and it can be love. (If the sexual acts are shown explicitly or not isn't that important to me.)
Of course it is not a trivial thing to model something as complex as human realtionships in video games, but in my opinion it can be done well enough. Existing games have shown that.
But a role-playing-game that ignores things like this, just doesn't feel right to me. I don't want NPCs (especially companions) to be empty shells who just swing axes, throw fireballs or carry your stuff. I want to have an illusion of a real world with real characters.
I agree! But what games are you referring too? I think up to now the only rpg that successfully attempted to humanize and create believeable relationships between the characters is Dragon Age Origins.

Aarius

I agree! But what games are you referring too? I think up to now the only rpg that successfully attempted to humanize and create believeable relationships between the characters is Dragon Age Origins.
Once there were masterpieces called Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment...
I agree with Morrandir. Every game needs relationships with NPC. This creates special and memorizable characters. For example: Morte from Planescape and Anders from Dragon Age series.

Fawz

Insider
I think romance as we know it from other RPGs would be a bit far fetched considering other games usually take the approach of dating sim or collect the sex sequences. What I do see happening and very much working for this game is building relationships with NPCs. I think this was already mentioned before, but earning trust with NPCs and building a relationship based on events sounds pretty good to me.

pdedinski

Supporter
I do agree.. any decent party-based rpg should have as deep character interactions as possible, romances or not. Having believeable party members and taking care of their whims is half the fun in an RPG.

Scarecrow

Insider
Well seeing that in this game your companions can actually die (Unlike every single other game out there. Almost.), i really hope you can form relationships with your companions. It makes keeping them alive or losing them that much more meaningful. It doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic relationship either (All tough im up for that too, if done well). I think it's somewhat important for rpg's that you can form some sort of bond with your companions, also for the sake of immersion... Oh the immerzzzion.

Sorry for offensive language, but PLEASE, no stupid Bioware romance system! I hate Bioware companionship system. It's boring, it's tiresome, they CTRL-C - CTRL-V this system from game to game, and begginings of this system we seen back in SW: KOTOR. No, please, only not Bioware!
Create your own original system, if it's a choice of most part of community, but not Bioware rotten system.
What about me, i think that trite love system worse than her absence. But even interesting and original companionship system, how i think, its one of the latest goals for team.

The problem with bioware-type romance story is that it require very detailed, scripted story design, while SG has a freeform story. This is where you can accidently roll a boulder off a cliff to kill the main antagonist in the beginning of the game before any story happen. Think of what happen if you accidently kill a possible romance character or other characters that may relate to the romance subplot. What if you accidently kill their pet? What if that random bandit you found was actually their family?

Not to mention the world doesn't revolve around a main character in SG. What if there are other love rivals? What if the romance character just simply doesn't like you because of the look that you choose in your character design? Maybe they don't like an oldman/woman or maybe they just find your life choice of being an adventurer is not something they want.

The relationship system here has to be both simple enough to be implement logically, but also complex and dynamic enough to truly represent the nature of an openworld RPG. And that is a difficult task to surmount.

Empire²

Insider
I'm too tired to read everyone's thoughts on the topic, but here's my two cents anyways.

In a lot of games, Romance/Relationships tend to work with some sort of merit system. Do someone a favour or respond with the "right" answer in a conversation and you'll earn points. Enough points and you'll pass the threshold which unlocks, well, romance. As easy as that would be, it's not exactly how it works in real life.

When you create a player character, especially in an RPG, it's a blank slate which you fill out yourself with a backstory, certain characteristics, aspirations and interests. Having your character be an empty canvas is fantastic, because it allows you to place yourself in your characters shoes as it were to enhance your overall gameplay experience.

I'm fairly certain that Anime culture invented a concept where a "blank slate", if you will, allows the viewer/reader/player to "become" the main character, and panders to them in a way where the entire universe you're immersing yourself in is catering to you. A good example are Japanese dating sims. The player character is usually incredibly vague and non-descriptive, which makes people mentally fill out their character's personality with their own. In a story like that, a good example being Katawa Shoujo (Which is fantastic, by the way), every single girl, without fail, seems to fall for this guy who has literally no characteristics of his own, but has a persona projected upon them by the person playing.

I don't think that's the way to go. Skyrim made the same mistake of making every NPC that is marriageable also interested in you, after certain prerequisites. Some people are out of your reach. Some people just think you're a weirdo, a slob or a madman. This means that every NPC would be different. And since the flexibility of the world (presumably) allows players to be so incredibly different in their approach, I think a solid romance system is not in the cards for Sui Generis. Besides that, I don't think there's a lot of obvious practicalities to it, but perhaps that's just me.

Also, if it's romance you're after, I'm available...

ZaratanCho

Insider
Well it works that way in a lot of games because they can't make a more complex system or "ai"(or don't care to for obvious reasons). The so called ai in Skyrim is really bad in general can't expect much from marriage options etc. If there will ever be anything 'romancy' in SG it clearly will not be like the usual in other games because of the ai(like not having an actual companion system) and other things.

On the other hand it is surely not just you, but it is also not me ;d "Obvious practicalities" can differ a lot from me to you, for example. Taking that in slight consideration only adding things that have obvious practicalities to you(or to the ones creating the game/product) will likely make for a shallow experience to some people even though the majority tends to not leave the shallow area much, so most developers don't include a lot of content and content that most people will not experience or just not care for. If you are creating a world you will have to be intelligent and able to truly understand things from very many different perspectives in order for said world to possess a reasonable amount of depth. In games though you need tech and BM seem to have the technical capabilities to go a long way ;d

I can't recall a romance system that i have really liked in a game, i was ok with one i guess. Not to mention sex scenes, i don't think a sex scene that i will not have to avert my eyes from or skip will ever exist but there are reasons for that, it could exist in theory ;d

Despite everything though i am all for something to be included in SG. Nothing too serious i guess, something relatively simple might work surprisingly well. Just the ai being able to develop a particular liking to you, wanting to travel with you all the time, wanting to protect your life things like that(obviously things will depend of individual character). That way potentially a connection can be somewhat naturally simulated for whoever wants speculate, kind of. ;d

Still don't really know much about the AI in SG though, how complex is it how hard is it to add to it. Can't say what is relatively simple to add or not. If it is close to what i imagine some things similar to what i said might be added anyway at some point.

On a side not i don't like using the term AI while describing characters behaviour in games considering actual AI. Seems like SG might be a lot more worthy of using AI when talking about it. Hope that the first prelude release is not too far away ;d

Edit: Btw I went to see what that game you mentioned is all about, but lost any interest when i read there are sex scenes ;D I probably wouldn't have tried it anyway but who knows. And pretty good point about dating sims and non descriptive characters. This is the reason i liked Mark Meers voice acting a lot more than the female one in Mass effect. 'Everyone' likes and praises the female voice over because it is more expressive, emotional and over the top, which i dislike ;d

Last edited:

Empire²

Insider
Still don't really know much about the AI in SG though, how complex is it how hard is it to add to it. Can't say what is relatively simple to add or not. If it is close to what i imagine some things similar to what i said might be added anyway at some point.
That's the major issue. At this point we can only speculate on the dynamism of the world and NPCs, because I'm fairly certain that there isn't a whole lot of information around about it, besides what was given to us what now seems like ages ago.

Edit: Btw I went to see what that game you mentioned is all about, but lost any interest when i read there are sex scenes ;D I probably wouldn't have tried it anyway but who knows. And pretty good point about dating sims and non descriptive characters. This is the reason i liked Mark Meers voice acting a lot more than the female one in Mass effect. 'Everyone' likes and praises the female voice over because it is more expressive, emotional and over the top, which i dislike ;d
Yeah, it's got some "interesting" erotic scenes to say the least. But it's also like taking a wrecking ball made of feels to the face, though. I'm fairly certain there's an option to turn the erotic scenes off though, so if you like well-written Anime/Manga that might be something for you :p

Arborus

Insider
i kinda liked the subtle "romance" in neverwinter nights. although i understand that's heaviliy scripted, i liked the way you could choose to do it or not and i liked the way the "courting" often mentioned relevant situations or even current situations that. I also liked the way the characters were a bit broken souls which gave them that more character.

i sort of liked the vampire girl character in skyrim because your character and her have a deep history and it kinda made sense to romance her (obviously bethesda disagreed)

if SG is going to have a romance system i think they they should not make everyone courtable but choose a few female/male characters and work them out in depth.

i wonder if you could have your spouse wonder around in your hideout/house or have her follow you during questing (which would be quite risky since she won't be reboren when killed)

Parco

if romance is gonna be in the game then i hope it will be possible hit on anyone, then im gonna make my character the biggest player in rpg history :D
i dont think it will be necessary to have a in depth story for romance to happen, for someone to fall in love with someone doesnt require a grand scheme, just randomly meeting someone by a lake can be enough to set of a spark.

Scarecrow

Insider
Imagine erotic scenes in Sui Generis with these physics. Oh man that would probably make for one hell of a comedy act.

That aside, I'm actually leaning more towards not doing romance at this point. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that you're able to bond with characters in games as I've stated earlier in this thread, but I think it might require quite a bit of time to be done properly. Having it there half-assed isn't going to please anyone, and I think it's better for them to focus on other stuff.

If they have an idea on how to do this properly and efficiently, then by all means let's have it! But if not, then it shouldn't be just rushed into the game imo. It could probably be added at a later date as well though, after initial release.

Oona

Insider
I think the way romance could work in SG is through body language and text, not literal acts of romance (like rag dolls colliding into each other).

Say you're playing as this adventurer dude, and there's some spark between him and a warrior chick he met in town. If she happens to join you in one of your adventurers, and she feels the same way, perhaps she'll walk closer to you than ordinary companions would. Perhaps if you stop moving, she'll place her hand on your shoulder, or maybe even touch hands. If danger is near, you'll see her stance becomes fiercer because she has more to lose than just gold.

To me, that's how romance could sorta work in the world of SG. A combo of "romantic" body language & some flirty dialogue options, and that would definitely be infinitely better than whatever Skyrim served us. :p

Crayfish

Insider
If you do add romance as some sort of feature of the game please make some of the characters either homosexual or bisexual. This would be a great service to bringing computer games in to the 21st century. You already do a very admirable job by giving female characters practical armour options.

If you do add romance as some sort of feature of the game please make some of the characters either homosexual or bisexual. This would be a great service to bringing computer games in to the 21st century. You already do a very admirable job by giving female characters practical armour options.
As I'm bisexual myself, I would absolutely love some LGBT+ representation. :)

If romance options are planned at all, that is.
Don't force it... don't do it "just for the sake of it", but if romance is not very strictly woven into the story, please leave some room for LGBT+ relationships, alrite?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.