Running improvements and combat controls

Asbo

Like many other above love how it's looking and again the first thing which stood out for me which AW8 mentioned...stole my thunder!!! was the lack of footprints.

Tom

Insider
Good God, not a couple of days after Da Video, now we get another one improving the running and explaining the controls!

Those two minutes were the icing on the cake of the first video. I mean wow, that made everything so much clear, and complicated - in a good way. Can't wait to get the alpha and spend the first hour swinging like a happy idiot :D

Also, that footwork, especially with the sword... blew me away.

Thank you, Bare Mettle! You guys rock.

BrecMadak

Insider
Nice improvement, totally worthy explanation along with how controls are working !

In addition to Subhu Man's interesting and enthuastic approach for a moment this part of video came to my mind, I'd like to share with you and discuss it how true would it be to consider for bladed weapons. The point in that movement the heel of your foot raises (also your hips turn a little horizontally to ground) according to from which side you deliver the blow (speaking exclusively for thrusting attacks here) I'm asking this since in thrusting attacks character's foot stands still on the ground, thus it feels like it has no punch behind it. I've read some comments in youtube regarding this matter so found it worthy to mention/ask that how close my thought for this issue is viable for sword fights ?

(He was my ex-muay thai teacher in gym; sorry couldn't find a more appropriate and english video but you will get what I mean by visually.)
Watch it only 0:58-1:05

I need to summon @Elric von Rabenfels to get confirmation about this thought though, pity that I run out of that scroll :(

Last edited:

ShaunRemo

Insider
The control system is far better than I expected, I previously thought attacks were calculated by the computer rather than player controlled which is great!

The fact the player can throw their weight into a battle is going to lead to some truly realistic and brutal fights as well as larger enemies automatically becoming a greater threat and not just because they have more hit points.

The control system is far better than I expected, I previously thought attacks were calculated by the computer rather than player controlled which is great!

The fact the player can throw their weight into a battle is going to lead to some truly realistic and brutal fights as well as larger enemies automatically becoming a greater threat and not just because they have more hit points.
I'm with you on this one. Previously, I was a bit worried because I thought the combat was going to be quite indirect or passive (similar to how blocking and parrying currently is), so the new video is great news!

I've been revisiting M&B recently, and SG is starting to sound like Warband on steroids! :D

ruminator

I think animations actually look really good, as far as combat and tripping over chairs and all that. My only complaint is that she looks a bit too hunched over while she runs, though I suppose carrying a mace might do that. Also, is this a game where the player character is constantly running everywhere?

Looks great. I was wondering how the combat worked, even with all of it we've seen so far. It's much more involved than it seemed earlier, which is great. I look forward to getting my ass kicked an innumerable amount of times while trying to get it down.

And all the animations look great I think, EXCEPT that damn running animation, which by how you described it does seem like it would be a pain to get working right. Hopefully the industry will more more towards procedural animation in general and these kinks can be ironed out.

kiario

Insider
Nice improvements. Some observations :)
1. Need foot prints in the sand and dust/debri from ground when feets are moving in the sand.
2. Combat animations seem a little slow.

Great music.
BR Anders

BigT2themax

Insider
Man, seeing how the combat actually works is brilliant!

As for any complaints about animations, I think I (and most other people) could ignore it once we're actually playing and focusing on the game rather than the animations. The way I see it, I can just play the game as a fun physics combat game rather than an ultra-realistic life simulator, and I'd rather play the former anyways.

To be honest, if the characters and environment all looked cartoony or abstract, but the physics were the same, nobody would complain about the animations at all.

Can't wait for the alpha! It's looking like it's gonna be awesome!

Also, is this a game where the player character is constantly running everywhere?
I think that's up to you. You can see the single arrow is used when the character is walking, and the double arrow is used when running. I'm fairly certain that there will not be any cases where one or the other would be imposed (for instance, you can only walk indoors). If for any reason (roleplaying, tactical etc) you wanted to walk, you will be able to. At least, as far as I know.

ruminator

Aside from a few nitpicky complaints about running animation and whatnot, this really does look amazing. Physics-based character animation is something I've always dreamed about, and now I finally get to see it. I'm curious if this engine (or at least physics implementation) could be extended to other genres/game types someday. A skyrim-like game would be much cooler this way...

Looking forward to playing it. And honestly, I think combat looks fantastic the way it is. Heavy and cumbersome weapons look heavy and cumbersome. Very cool!

Tony

Insider
Physics-based character animation is something I've always dreamed about, and now I finally get to see it. I'm curious if this engine (or at least physics implementation) could be extended to other genres/game types someday. A skyrim-like game would be much cooler this way...
Sui Generis will be a similar type of game as Skyrim... as in a free-roaming, open RPG. Only Sui Generis will be more advanced in almost every way ;)

I'm sure Sui Generis will have better RPG elements than Skyrim. Since they're not using voice acting they're not limited to what they can record for one. And like Tony said, the tech in this game is a million times more advanced than anything in Skyrim. I think it would be pretty cool to see a third person (as in camera behind) or first person game on this engine at some point but I think what they're doing here is great.

BigT2themax

Insider
While we're on the subject of using the engine for other things, has Bare Mettle come up with a cool name for the engine yet? You know, something akin to 'havoc' or 'unreal engine' or 'source' or something like that. Maybe you could call it 'Generis' and leave it at that, that sounds pretty slick. Or 'Gen-engine' or something.

Anyways, I also hope to see this engine used in a variety of games and settings. They'd have to be action games or adventure games or RPGs or something, though. I don't think it'd be very easy to apply it to other games.

But hey, why don't we wait until Sui Generis comes out before thinking about other games, eh?

(Gah, this post took three times longer to write than it should have, my keyboard isn't reading all my button presses!)

According to Wikipedia, Sui Generis means "of its own kind" so that name for an engine would be pretty cool. It's Latin, so I'm not sure if there's really a word in Latin you could use for "engine" but the "Sui Generis Engine" something like that sounds cool.

Parco

..., or use 2 handed weapons. also if the shield is heavy you might move a little slower, aka your agility is lowered.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.