Shadowrun: Hong Kong

Empire²

Insider
Hello chummers! As a lot of you probably know, the new Shadowrun game came out today!

Having played through the entirety of Shadowrun: Returns recently and having only just sunk my teeth into Shadowrun: Dragonfall, I was quite excited for this game, and I figured there would be some like-minded people here that would want to share their experience or thoughts on the game!

Right now I just finished the Prologue, and am at the point where the game opens up. While it's too early to really judge the game thoroughly, I've got some first impressions for those of you that have played it or are, perhaps, planning to pick it up:

All the Shadowrun games have been critically acclaimed for how well designed they are. The art style is gorgeous, the locales are interesting and all have a unique vibe to them and the sound design is pretty brilliant. What sets Shadowrun: Hong Kong apart, though, is the atmosphere. The environments are distinctly foreign and the way the chinese customs are translated into the Shadowrun universe really make you feel like you're stepping into a really interesting and unexplored world. Perhaps that's a bit of culture shock I get from being European, but it's definitely a strong suit in the game.

Since I haven't played much of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, I can't really say what's changed between the two games, but a revamped Matrix system with combat being (at times) optional and some interesting hacking interfaces tells me that there's quite a bit of fresh air for the people who did play Dragonfall.

Like in the other Shadowrun games, the story has already taken some interesting turns and I can't wait for it to completely blow me away like Shadowrun Returns did towards the end.

How about you? Have you picked it up yet? Why/Why not? Are you enjoying it so far?

ZaratanCho

Insider
Yes, started it as well. I have barely started but its great so far(sitting in the sewers). As far as combat it looks largely the same, all the same skills too. Would have been nice to get some more new ones. I don't get along very well with X% chance to hit rng combat haha. Seems to be slightly more polished, will see whats changed in the matrix. Don't play it for the combat anyway, its basically just there, its ok.

Music, dialogues and atmosphere has been great so far and the story is promising but will have to see.

Empire²

Insider
That's definitely how I feel; I'm along for the ride as far as the story is concerned moreso than the combat! And I have to say I argue a fair bit with the RNG as well :p

Empire²

Insider
Dragonfall was awesome I bet Hong Kong is even better!
That's not the word around town, unfortunately :p

It's pretty unanimous for people that it's better than Returns, but not quite as good as Dragonfall was.

Also, a small update to my thoughts on the game:

I really like the way that the moral ambiguity of some of the choices you make add to the feeling of freedom and to the notion that things aren't always black & white. I've found more interesting environments and lore about the world and, more specifically, Hong Kong that I feel pretty invested in what's going on!

zhuliks

Insider
I got the game and must say I like it a lot. Cyberpunk and asian culture work really well together.
What I wanted to share with you isnt my ipressions however, since I first heard about Walled City mystery I had this feeling that its something i heard or felt before, so i used google search with keywords (that amazingly always finds whatever you are looking for if defined righ, like "dudududun song") and found that old animation.

Its the only english one with meh quality, but still gives me chills.

Empire²

Insider
I got the game and must say I like it a lot. Cyberpunk and asian culture work really well together.
What I wanted to share with you isnt my ipressions however, since I first heard about Walled City mystery I had this feeling that its something i heard or felt before, so i used google search with keywords (that amazingly always finds whatever you are looking for if defined righ, like "dudududun song") and found that old animation.

Its the only english one with meh quality, but still gives me chills.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I've put 16 hours into it split between two characters, and feel like I'm nearing the end with one of them. The plot of the game only gets more and more ties to chinese mythology and the likes, which is very cool. I tend to start a new game with a different character so I get the full experience when they're all done, which has been a learning experience considering I rarely use drones, magic or do decking.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.