So How Can I Beat This?

Elaxter

Insider
I've been playing for a month and I can't even pass the first level. Every time something tragic happens to my character. I get past the first locked door (the one that leads to the room with a bunch of chairs) and I clear the first room. But after that, all that can go wrong does: I trip, or I get too courageous, or I get smashed in the face, or something equally as adventure killing. I can't seem to get past the first level, even with a bunch of sweet gear.

Can anyone spare some tips? No spoilers please.

Thank you in advance.

Pilluminati

Insider
Try not to fight, and if you do, stay out of range and dash forward and use the overhead then dash back to safety, repeat. Extremely effective against the zombies. Don't fight in bad places, if you're in a bad place with an enemy you can run to a door and wait in front of it so the enemy has to fight at the door where he can't swing easily. If you are in a fight and low health, run and recover you health (stamina) back and fight them again if you really want to. Close doors behind you so other enemies don't come. Use a shield if you really suck, jk, it offers you a lot of protection so you have more room for error. Last but not least, practice fighting in arena mode which I'm sure you've already heard a hundred times. Practising with one handers is prolly more beneficial for the campaign mode though.

Zotis

I've been playing the beta since the 23rd of March and been following it (lightly, I might add) since 2012, so don't tell me what I don't understand.
I know you disagreed with me about the nature of combat in this game, but in all sincerity I would implore you to try a less aggressive approach. Try simply walking past some zombies without making them angry. Try trapping some zombies in rooms. Try actually running away sometimes.

Sorry for being a dick earlier.

ShaolinG

I've been playing for a month and I can't even pass the first level. Every time something tragic happens to my character. I get past the first locked door (the one that leads to the room with a bunch of chairs) and I clear the first room. But after that, all that can go wrong does: I trip, or I get too courageous, or I get smashed in the face, or something equally as adventure killing. I can't seem to get past the first level, even with a bunch of sweet gear.

Can anyone spare some tips? No spoilers please.

Thank you in advance.
Well, there is a lot of tactics to survive)
1. In my 1st try, I was smashed by 1st crazy enemy) so I went to arena and spent few hours to learn combat system. Now, single enemy is not a problem, and I'm trying to avoid fighting with more at same time.
2. In the second try I decided to avoid fights as much as I can, so I kill only about 5 enemies and died on 2nd floor because of sudden fight with 2 enemies)
3. If you don't want to fight, you can just run & close doors behind you. Also you can trap chasing enemies in rooms.
4. I heard that if you quit game, it will remove enemy's hostility.
5. Remember places with items. Before fighting a single enemy you can aready have some light armored clothing, machete and shield or two handed metal stick.

Elaxter

Insider
I have absolutely no problems manipulating the camera or my character whatsoever. I can do all the basic movements without need of workarounds.

Murf

Wish I had some decent tips for you, but if you are getting past the first(well 2nd for me cuz I grab the
sword
and the
Leather Vest
if I need to) and then falling onto hard times even with sweet gear, it can only be the combat I think, not an expert by any means for sure but I can't think of what else it might be. If ya want, add me on steam, next time you and I are on together I play so ya can see what I do and ask questions or I'll watch you play and see if I notice anything. Honestly can't think of what it might be except just getting your ass whooped, which happens to me all the time. :)

I would suggest practicing in the arena for a few hrs, at least until you complete the novice arena. It will really Healy you to learn evasion and blocking properly, and then you will find the zombies so easy cuz they don't block or parry, u just avoid their blows or block it and decimate them. I kill zombies in abt 3 strikes usually,they leave themselves wide open. 2 is more difficult but I have my tactics for handling more than 1.also like most said don't play aggressively with the undead, some are passive, u don't need to kill them all. If you find 2 is aggressive lead it away from the rest, don't attack it yet or they will all attack you.

Bobob

I would also suggest training more, and from what you say you should be more careful. Remember that in the first level no one blocks so you can be more defensive. Also I think that not killing enemies is avoiding the issue.

NachoDawg

I simple dont believe every enemy is worth fighting. Dont get caught up in killing the dead for loot's sake. You'll get sweeter loot later than what the pre-chair room part of the level can ever offer with its few random contents.

If it really is the fighting that get you and no amount of arena training helps with the under then try using long weapons and fighting in areas with light. You can drop the torch on the ground as a tactical move to light up dark places you need to fight in

Murf

I simple dont believe every enemy is worth fighting. Dont get caught up in killing the dead for loot's sake. You'll get sweeter loot later than what the pre-chair room part of the level can ever offer with its few random contents.
I think in the past I would have agreed with you, but with the RNG algorithm Madoc created, you have to look at it as a risk vs reward situation. Finding a gambeson in the first re-chest can mean the difference in succeeding barely, or succeeding with all your health intact. Not mention finding that sweet spiked club. Hell, even finding the leather vest without having to deal with Mr Hooky Hookerson is nice.

Interesting. I take opportunities to trap enemies in useless rooms when I can, but I honestly find it less risky to kill every enemy I encounter almost immediately. It helps prevent any chance of a double-team and you won't have to live with the slight fear that a guy you let slip by earlier is going to encounter you again. Plus there's no better practice than actually fighting in the dungeon. I went from playing uber cautiously to rampaging on every one I see, immediately switching from torch to shield and attacking. Multiple enemies at once isn't even a big deal anymore. Weirdly enough, playing the dungeon a lot has made me rusty in the arena...

Practice and confidence will do wonders for you. Try fighting defensively. Even though a fight may be strung out, it'll be worth it when you defeat your opponent relatively unscathed, and now have 1 less enemy to worry about as you explore all the nooks and crannies. But this is all coming from a guy who hasn't made it to the portal yet... I did make it to level 3 yesterday though ^_^

NachoDawg

I think in the past I would have agreed with you, but with the RNG algorithm Madoc created, you have to look at it as a risk vs reward situation. Finding a gambeson in the first re-chest can mean the difference in succeeding barely, or succeeding with all your health intact. Not mention finding that sweet spiked club. Hell, even finding the leather vest without having to deal with Mr Hooky Hookerson is nice.
Must be how I play, I guess. I basically speed run lvl1, and Im not trying to brag but I dont bother picking up the leather stuff unless it's for some estethic reason. Im sure it can very helpfull to those that do take the 1st level seriously, but all I need from the first level is the torch and bill. Everything else is found let and right.

And about finding a gambison in lvl 1

the red 2hander guy at the end of lvl1 has the best cloth stuff you can currently fine. Defeat him and you're golden. Thats why I picking up the billhook earlier

Murf

@Zotis i walked past all the enemies, backwards :cool:
That still work? Haven't tried i t lately, but when i go out of combat mode into explore mode to switch weapons and such, they are still all aggro-y towards me, not like the previous version where they would stop coming.

Zotis

They are more aggressive if you previously triggered their agro, but any zombies who's agro you've never triggered before can be walked past. I've noticed three different levels of agro. There are three different ranges they will look at you, and if you linger too long or get too close they will start attacking you. But many zombies you can literally bump into and they still won't agro.

@Parco Folgore Why backwards? For the lol's?

Murf

There are some that won't attack unless ya turn your back on them, some ya just have to be near them and they will aggro on you.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.