Status Update

I started at that tier and glad that I did, though it would be nice to know if they think there will be anything ready by the end of the month. I would prefer, personally it be late rather than not ready for user feedback.

From my perspective offering as much support to the project as I can and being part of that internal community has made it well worth the financial contribution. I am very excited for every aspect of this project and anticipate every update no matter how trivial with great enthusiasm.

Personally, having tinkered with combat behavior and other aspects of development, this project blows everything out of the water and means a great deal to me as they continue to solve many of the headaches of main stream physics engines. I cannot offer the team enough praise so I will just stop there, keep on being awesome Bare Mettle!!

~Xalbrus aka Deapri

Last edited:

nikko0803

Insider
I started at that tier and glad that I did, though it would be nice to know if they think there will be anything ready by the end of the month. I would prefer, personally it be late rather than not ready for user feedback.

~Xalbrus aka Deapri
I think the majority of everyone here, if not all, would prefer it to be ready than given early and not up to their standards; no one is asking them to release it before it is ready. Bare Mettle has always been open and honest about delays/postponements, it's reasonable to assume that if there was a problem/delay, they would've made an announcement, so I think we're looking good for an update soon unless something goes wrong e.g. the internet gains sentience and fights against humanity

Ageni

Insider
I understand, that they have a lot of work to make this game perfect, but it would be nice to make some status/update atleast something. It's more than month from last update.

Also some new video could satisfy.

Thanks!

@nikko0803: I feel you may have taken what I meant as emphasis a bit too matter-of-fact. I have yet to have any of my own projects meet a criteria of reasonable time, though in most cases I don't know something is going to be late until it is, sometimes things go awry. I was attempting at the time to focus more on what I felt was important in response to your previous post not to question the team. The quote you present I feel takes that out of context however I hope you did not feel I was speaking for the community, that was not my intent.

The post also was not intended in any way to pressure Bare Mettle for an update either as that would be a waste of their time and they will provide us with information relative to the work when they are ready as they always have. I retain full faith in the project and the progress being made here, still, in my opinion remains revolutionary within the gaming community as a whole. Every piece of information shared is a bit of the puzzle which is astounding from so many perspectives. I would like to reiterate that all of my posts are based on my personal perspective and that I intend in no way to be speaking on behalf of anyone else.

If this is what it seemed I was doing, then I apologize to you and the community as a whole.

~Xalbrus aka Deapri

Madoc

Project Lead
We have a habit of getting immersed in the work and not giving frequent updates, we then end up at the point where small updates would just undermine all the work we've been doing so we wait until we have something more substantial we can show. I personally also tend to get something to 90% completion and then move on to the next biggest thing that might pose a serious challenge rather than do that last 10% which I already know I can handle without problems.

We could talk to you about what we're doing but it's not always easy to make it sound interesting or convey the implications of what we've accomplished, a picture really is worth a thousand words. It seems more productive to just get on with the work and then show you what we've done.

We still plan on releasing a development video but in order to make that video we need most of the same things in working order. We're mostly dealing with technical issues, before the prelude we focused mostly on outdoor environments and small indoor environments, the first "level" of the prelude features almost 10000 meshes, almost 100 shadow casting dynamic lights and quite a few characters, all in a single environment. This requires some major engine features to really be finalised and this is always a bit of a bottleneck for us as we're making all our own technology and with just one programmer.

If we had enough ready to show you or an accurate release date to give you we would, but with complex things figuring out how long they would take pretty much amounts to actually doing them. I'm afraid all I can give you right now is as soon as possible and that we are working as hard as we possibly can.

Scarecrow

Insider
I have fate in you guys, as i know pretty much everyone on the forums also has. It is totally understandable why you can't give as frequent updates as we and you would like, and knowing that you dedicate so much time and passion into the game is great. Even statements like this helps a lot though, as they are kind of small updates themselves as to why and what is going on.

Keep up the great work Bare Mettle, and thanks for making the game!

lvk

Insider
While I do like the mentality of the development team and how you get real work done instead of lengthy community-oriented blog posts, I think you overestimate how difficult it is to get us all excited, even with technical details. You could mention something about how you're trying to get raytraced lighting to perform well with many objects in any given single ray's path, and I think we'd still be all over it.

A good example would've been the Spout development forum threads while it was still under active development (Spout being a generic voxel game framework that planned on supporting game modes as plugins). It was pretty much all technical discussion, and I'd never been more excited. It's a slightly different case, since being open about every technical detail was key to the project, but those updates kept people hanging around the forums.

Of course it's a lot more fun to work on the challenges than to write about them, but if something technically difficult is accomplished you're particularly proud of, feel free to share! Even if nobody understands the implications (myself included), and even if the post's only a line or three, it's a sign of life from the development team, and that on its own is exciting for everyone involved. It's a sign our favourite dev team is breaking new ground and overcoming challenges previously thought insurmountable (or at least unprofitable).

As I've posted on the same subject multiple times in the past, I'll make this the last post on the matter and include a tl;dr summarizing all of the previous posts:

tl;dr Back-end tech updates are welcome and exciting, too! Very exciting. Even if difficult to comprehend at times, it makes people feel more involved in the ground-breaking (in the literal sense of the word) that is SG and its development.

..... only one programmer? With all you have accomplished thus far and the rigging nightmare the physics based animations must be that is... well beyond amazing, Deific in comparison. I am awestruck, and from the implications mentioned in the past for other developments and stabilizing even on low end systems a larger number of active character models... I cannot help but be truly inspired by the level of accomplishment shown here. I for one having worked with modding and working to make those mods retain the sustainable balance with a games original intended system requirements remain tremendously enthusiastic of the project.

As lvk said simple things give a heartbeat to the community, as hearing from you guys means a great deal to me, even if it is off topic, the teams proven level of epic will I hope in the future raise the bar of quality across the gaming community with this production. As I have been reminded from time to time in my own projects, I hope you all are able to take time to relax as well as charging the line as it is with the project.

My very best to the team of Bare Mettle may your imagination know no bounds.

~Xalbrus aka Deapri

Ageni

Insider
We have a habit of getting immersed in the work and not giving frequent updates, we then end up at the point where small updates would just undermine all the work we've been doing so we wait until we have something more substantial we can show. I personally also tend to get something to 90% completion and then move on to the next biggest thing that might pose a serious challenge rather than do that last 10% which I already know I can handle without problems.

We could talk to you about what we're doing but it's not always easy to make it sound interesting or convey the implications of what we've accomplished, a picture really is worth a thousand words. It seems more productive to just get on with the work and then show you what we've done.

We still plan on releasing a development video but in order to make that video we need most of the same things in working order. We're mostly dealing with technical issues, before the prelude we focused mostly on outdoor environments and small indoor environments, the first "level" of the prelude features almost 10000 meshes, almost 100 shadow casting dynamic lights and quite a few characters, all in a single environment. This requires some major engine features to really be finalised and this is always a bit of a bottleneck for us as we're making all our own technology and with just one programmer.

If we had enough ready to show you or an accurate release date to give you we would, but with complex things figuring out how long they would take pretty much amounts to actually doing them. I'm afraid all I can give you right now is as soon as possible and that we are working as hard as we possibly can.
That's what I am talking about - even this info is make me OK again. I know you are working hard to make sure everything will be ready !

Thanks !

Zodd

Insider
Cheers for the update - to echo what Ivk touched on, even technical details without pretty pictures would be great! I loved the early Castle Story dev diaries because they discussed a lot of the technical stuff. Whilst some people will have no idea what you are talking about, other people will find it interesting and others will find it inspiring (eg. other hobbiest/indie devs)

I am not saying share the source code, but a bit of a description about areas that stump you initially and how you overcome them would, to me at least, be as interesting if not more interesting than a few extra pictures (although they are GREAT too!!!)

Regardless - keep up the good work, amazing effort!

Crayfish

Insider
I'm afraid all I can give you right now is as soon as possible and that we are working as hard as we possibly can.
Just little updates like this post are all that's needed to let us know you're still alive and well. Good luck with all those little "final 10%" jobs. Thanks for keeping us posted here.

Sneil

Insider
Great update. Personally, I am cringing at the "I personally also tend to get something to 90% completion and then move on to the next biggest thing that might pose a serious challenge rather than do that last 10%" comment.

I am the same way when it comes to this, and half the time that 10% gets left in limbo for far too long and sometimes I end up dreading having to go back to them, which delays things or just sometimes it never gets finished. I personally have learned just to finish the bloody 10% then and there as opposed to leave them to collect dust, later dreading having to get back to them. Hopefully you're not like me. So, in case you happen to be like me, just finish the measly 10% then move on and I'll be happy very happy.:p But, judging from the work you've already been able to release, I'm confident it will all end up being done eventually anyway.:cool:

Madoc

Project Lead
Even communicating technical details requires some continuity and context, and therefore time which unfortunately I really don't have enough of. I do enjoy posting details on the forums and updates in general but it's not often quick and simple to do, doing updates usually takes some effort and requires a shift in focus.

@Sneil: I don't leave the last 10% out of lazyness, it's a matter of dismissing some final steps as trivial when I've got things I still need to determine the feasibility of or can't quantify yet. I work incessantly to eliminate anything that's still nagging at me.

On a more positive note, we are still finding developing the game rewarding and exciting and we're absolutely thrilled with the way it's turning out. We're getting there with the prelude and the combat has improved dramatically since the last alpha, both in terms of gameplay and looks.

turtleman155

Insider
when i found this game when i was surfing through endless amounts of 'unimaginative' projects when i stumbled upon sui generis i thought why does it have a latin name intrigued i decide to look at the kickstarter page and watched the video. about five times in a row. I thought it was so simple to make the combat in games more realistic by adding physics in the place of animations because thats how it works. normally making games more realistic makes them either a lot more tedious or more boring but this was just GREAT and after playing the alpha i still think this is great and have utmost faith in the team to deliver the final product of this amazing concept combined with innovative new rpg elements and the thaumaturgy there is so much potential in that and in the project in general :D

sorry if its long but a note of faith to you guys. great job so far and looking forward to further updates:)

Out of interest, how significant is...
Finally we've been bringing into action some plans to improve character physics performance so as to support more active characters at once. Some early tests show that we may be able to support significantly more characters than we originally thought and this has some pretty significant implications for the game.
What is the most characters we are likely to see in the game now? And I assume when you talk about implications to the game you are referring to the scale of battles and populated areas, but I'm also intrigued to know if this makes wildlife and mounts more viable?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.