Stop the camera from auto-adjusting vertically

NachoDawg

When your character walks behind a wall, the camera will automatically tilt to a top-down view so you can see your character. Then, when you leave the wall, the camera will pane down to where it was.

The panning-down phase is the problem part.

You can't hold the mouse-wheel and do the camera adjustment yourself. You have to wait for the camera to adjust itself at its own pace. I find this very frustrating, even though it's a minor thing. The player controls the camera in every other instance, but suddenly, because you cut a corner too sharp, you lose your camera-control privledges and the game holds your hand. You can neither prevent it or just do the panning yourself.

Anyone else feeling this, or am I just looking for things to criticize? :p

zhuliks

Insider
You can use mmb to adjust it to more top view and it wont go back down when you leave far enough from the wall. I dont see a problem here at all, its done to prevent clipping and black wall completely blocking your view.

You are not just looking, but desperately digging for ridiculous things to criticize :rolleyes:

NachoDawg

You can use mmb to adjust it to more top view and it wont go back down when you leave far enough from the wall. I dont see a problem here at all, its done to prevent clipping and black wall completely blocking your view.

You are not just looking, but desperately digging for ridiculous things to criticize :rolleyes:
I think you are misunderstanding. I want the camera to not move at all. Or if it "has" to go to a top-down view to avoid clipping (what clips?) or blackwall then I want to re-adjust afterwards in my own time. There's nothing more frustrating than wanting to do a quick camera adjustment for combat purposes only to find I have 100% control of horizontal panning but vertical panning is hostage to the system under the pretense of being helpful. Spinning the camera in a top-down view is next to not useful at all unless I'm maybe orienting to my compass or something.

Or is there maybe some battle advantage to having top-down view that I should just get used to taking advantage of? :p

zhuliks

Insider
But if camera doesnt autoadjust your half screen will be blocked with black wall.

P.S.: clipping is when 1 3d objectt goes through another in unrealistic and unplanned manner, including camera peekin inside walls and other objects.

NachoDawg

And if the camera auto-adjusts then I have to fight with it every time i cut a corner - which is frustrating enough for me to make this thread.

It would be better to have my character hidden behind a wall until i correct it, because that game behavior is at least a direct result of my input and I can expect it.

I asked what is it that clips from showing a black wall, not what clipping itself means

Rebind manual camera adjustment to key such as "V"

Also, I'd recommend learning how to fight opponents from all camera angles.

NachoDawg

@Orlacktherof I didn't like your suggestion with V, but that could be due to muscle memory and all that. And it doesn't prevent the camera from doing what I'm describing.

And fully top-down has an acutal disadvantage. It's harder to judge height, which means it's harder to judge whether to rely on a block or dodge. The simpler solution still looks to me like is to not have the camera force redundant features or me

@Orlacktherof I didn't like your suggestion with V, but that could be due to muscle memory and all that. And it doesn't prevent the camera from doing what I'm describing.

And fully top-down has an acutal disadvantage. It's harder to judge height, which means it's harder to judge whether to rely on a block or dodge. The simpler solution still looks to me like is to not have the camera force redundant features or me
I suppose you're right.

Whether to block or dodge... Just don't get into a corner to being with and just dodge everything.

Fawz

Insider
Yeah I really don't like it when the camera pans to look down on the scene when my character is close to a wall. It's annoying that walls don't auto-hide when they block vision, but I'd still prefer to not have the camera pan to look down automatically.

Mowglia

An option to simply disable the automatic tilting would be great. If my character disappears behind a wall I'm perfectly capable of panning/tilting the camera myself.

What would also be nice is a keyboard "lock camera tilt" button, so we can lock the tilt (to say 45 degrees or whatever) to prevent accidental nudges to tilt while shifting the camera around a lot (without having to visit the options menu). Sometimes I want to keep the tilt locked, other times I don't, so a rapid way to change it would be good.

The best thing would be to just make the wall transparent like in 99,9% of games with isometric view and stop the camera from moving

That could be very, very broken and I believe the devs have already spoken upon this.
I can't think of one thing that might get broken by this. Maybe enlighten me with an example? Also a link to the devs discussion would be nice.

I can't think of isometric game that does NOT do this. So if it is that broken why would everyone else do it?

NachoDawg

I think it might be immersion breaking to have transparant or invisible walls, shelfs and bookcases'n such

but i'm not an authority. Just thinking out loud

I can't think of one thing that might get broken by this. Maybe enlighten me with an example? Also a link to the devs discussion would be nice.

I can't think of isometric game that does NOT do this. So if it is that broken why would everyone else do it?
By broken, I don't necessarily mean game breaking, but here's some things that might happen. The game might end up rendering more walls than needed invisible, It's immersion breaking, or perhaps it's just not feasible to turn every single wall into many pieces just so you can see through them. The game renders stuff beyond what we can see lit or in the current room aswell, we might end up seeing things we weren't supposed to encounter yet.

Murf

Here ya go, I just did a search for walls with Madoc as the author, then fading walls, with Madoc as the author. He hasn't spoken on it in a while but stated it is not very doable. Don't know if he has anything else to add. @Madoc ?

http://www.baremettle.com/forums/index.php?search/6964760/&q=fading walls&o=date&c[user][0]=5

The camera is quite awkward, especially in tight spaces. I can't say we're particularly happy with how it's working but we haven't really found a better solution yet. Fading walls is unfortunately very problematic for a number of reasons, it's also not something that can be easily done with complex 3D renderings. The current solution has the advantage of working under many completely different conditions, something that is more useful when dealing with other types of environments. At the very least we hope to improve it, suggestions are welcome.
Right here

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.