Talking about your Kickstarter

Dorag

----------------
Preface
-------------------​
Hello Baremettle, please read through this as I've put some good information here to help you all.
I'd like to contribute my small part with these really easy steps on how to pass on your views and concepts clearly to the backers in a next Kickstarter, and I ask that you read it regardless of whether or not you're going to have another go at it.
---------------
How to
---------------

First of all the pitch video is the most important part of your KS, It's your first (and possibly last) chance to either gain or lose a backer, with these simple steps you'll be able to raise the efficiency and the influence effects of your Kickstarter video/description on potential backers.

1. Make a list of subjects that you need to explain and bring forth to the potential backers in your Kickstarter video/description

2. Set the subjects in a list of priorities ranging from the most important subjects you need to explain, to the least

3. Think of a short description (aligned with a good portion of related video footage) that describes each and every subject in the list you've created from top to bottom the best you can to make sure you forward your views to the backers properly.

4. Put all the descriptions together by order to make a fine steady flow of logically placed information that keeps the backer interested and goes over each major field of necessary information for the potential backer.
-------------------------------
Personal comments
-------------------------------

First of all I'm a big fan of your game and I agree with all of your views completely while I understand the hardships of making a game and that not everything can be implemented, but my heart is with you.

In this Kickstarter you expected people to understand your concepts and point of view but the first 7 minutes of the pitch video is footage showing the engine and It's physics, playing around with tables and talking about the engine, you're making a game not just an engine, and this is where the Pitch video and the Kickstarter as a whole failed, as it could've gotten so much more of It's starting goal if you'd just make a better Pitch video and description concentrating on the game/your views too.
------------------------​
Conclusion
------------------------​
Sitting down and making a list will really ease the burden of making a Pitch video or writing a description, it is the very foundation of every informatory act to put down a list of the information you need to explain, and it will give you some serious guidelines that will majorly help you in your efforts to make a successful campaign that will get the recognition and funding it truly deserves.

Please take my advice seriously, I wish you best of luck with your future projects in hope that you'll take my suggestion into account.
Thanks for reading, Dorag.

Rob

I personally really liked the Kickstarter pitch video. However, I can also appreciate that I'm not a typical person.

Obviously, if there is to be a second campaign, it would have to be different to the first one. Whether your existing pitch video is good or not, it wouldn't go down very if you just regurgitated the same info/videos for a second campaign.

I think that Dorag makes some good points, and has some good ideas for future marketing videos (whether as a new pitch in a new campaign, or as a new update/replacement video in the existing campaign). For sure, the first few minutes should be marketing-heavy, really trying to draw the viewer's interest, and saying more about the ideas behind the game's as a whole - vision, gameplay, etc. (note that all of this content is already written, and can be gathered by reading the developers' posts in this forum).

The more techy stuff (the engine, sky, lighting, details, speed of development due to programming tools etc.) is important, but should be said in the latter half once you've already grabbed the viewer's attention, not at the beginning when the viewer isn't yet convinced. In this first campaign, you've already got Us, the people who are interested in the details of the tech, on board. Now you need to appeal to a wider, more fickle, audience.

Additionally, I think it would be foolish not to acknowledge the recent success of Star Citizen. You might say that that's different, because Chris Roberts is a superstar, and they've already got loads of facilities, resources and a more polished product. True. However, I think that a major part of the success is that they also had a very cleverly assembled effective pitch video, e.g. one example is how they pulled on the heart-strings of Star Wars fans. You should try to draw parallels with Sui Generis. For example, I guess LOTR is probably the closest "big thing" for an RPG (but that's just an example, which may not be relevant - I don't want to put ideas in your heads!). But the general idea is applicable - try to find some inspiration that is both common to your vision and to the masses of people out there, in order to maximise the number of gamers that will be drawn in and feel an intimate connection with Sui Generis.

In summary, study the Star Citizen pitch video (and subsequent updates). Take from it what you can... merge it with what you have... and hopefully the whole will be greater than the sum of the two parts.

P.S. I hope this is seen as constructive, not patronising! I think you're doing a great job... this is just my two cents.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.