Telekinesis on people

Oona

Insider
I'm curious if we will be able to use telekinesis on people. Tele is an ability in the elder scrolls games as well but you cant use it on people, and it would be a shame not to use it in Sui with the amazing physics!

It wouldn't be as controlled (due to increased weight and their resistance) so I think the result would be similar to the push power demonstrated in the video, except with a bit more subtlety.

Joe Moore

Insider
The answer is yes. The Combat Explained, Mostly shows this - about 1 minute in. There's also an actual combat sequence where one character pushes the other into a table. Pretty sweet.

It's also in the pre-alpha combat video about the 1:10 mark.

It doesn't look like a fine control, more like a punch.

Tony

Insider
The answer is yes. The Combat Explained, Mostly shows this - about 1 minute in. There's also an actual combat sequence where one character pushes the other into a table. Pretty sweet.

It's also in the pre-alpha combat video about the 1:10 mark.

It doesn't look like a fine control, more like a punch.
I believe they were using the "force" aspect of thaumaturgy in the videos, not telekinesis. The basic use of force is just that: a wave of force emitted from your character on outwards. Telekinesis would allow you to be much more precise than just knocking someone over with a wave of force. Instead of knocking them over it would (theoretically) be possible to lift their helmet off of their head and then smash them in the face with it. Or to lift their weapon up and make your enemies stab themselves.

I believe they were using the "force" aspect of thaumaturgy in the videos, not telekinesis. The basic use of force is just that: a wave of force emitted from your character on outwards. Telekinesis would allow you to be much more precise than just knocking someone over with a wave of force. Instead of knocking them over it would (theoretically) be possible to lift their helmet off of their head and then smash them in the face with it. Or to lift their weapon up and make your enemies stab themselves.
That's not actual telekinesis of a person. It's just telekinesis of objects that they happen to be wearing. Overall, I'm not sure if this is worth implementing because it would be overly complicated to develop and use.

Tony

Insider
That's not actual telekinesis of a person. It's just telekinesis of objects that they happen to be wearing. Overall, I'm not sure if this is worth implementing because it would be overly complicated to develop and use.
Yes, I understand that I did not give examples of using telekinesis on a person. I was trying to give examples of how telekinesis and force would work differently in the game. I could have said "you can knock someone on their ass with telekinesis" but then people would ask "ok, so how is that different from using the force aspect of thaumaturgy shown in the videos?".

And I think it would be rather simple to use. Whatever you aim the mouse cursor at while holding down the right mouse button is what you will focus the telekinesis on. Drag the mouse where you want to move the item. Release right mouse button when you're done.

Yes, I understand that I did not give examples of using telekinesis on a person. I was trying to give examples of how telekinesis and force would work differently in the game. I could have said "you can knock someone on their ass with telekinesis" but then people would ask "ok, so how is that different from using the force aspect of thaumaturgy shown in the videos?".
Is the difference between force and telekinesis on people big enough that TK on people should be implemented? That's my question. My first post mentions what the effects of it would be and I don't think they're that different (mostly just push/pull/immobilize).

Tony

Insider
Is the difference between force and telekinesis on people big enough that TK on people should be implemented? That's my question. My first post mentions what the effects of it would be and I don't think they're that different (mostly just push/pull/immobilize).
I suppose it depends on how creative you wish to be. And it also depends on how precisely we will be able to control force. Can force be focused into a small area/location or is it generally only used for actions that don't require as much precision? Also, can force be used to push and pull in a fluent manner? Or can it only push one way and then have to pull as a separate command?

Joe Moore

Insider
Well to me there is no difference between this "force" and that "telekinesis". The result is the same, the character is moving the object with the power of their mind.

If the main difference is subtlety then I don't think it is worth implementing because (partially as a result of the view) I don't think the aiming is precise enough. Also, using the system might be too complicated for practical purposes.

Well to me there is no difference between this "force" and that "telekinesis". The result is the same, the character is moving the object with the power of their mind.
But there is no control with force (as far as the videos showed). Also, what if you had the ability to create a wind that forced opponents backwards, would that be telekinesis? Because I think by your definition it would be.

Tony

Insider
I think it should be implemented simply because I'd like to do things like make one guard punch another guard in the face. This would be almost impossible to do using force (I doubt force will be refined enough to focus just on the guard's hand in such a way that it would cause him to hit someone else). Telekinesis would allow much finer, more precise actions. You could make someone push someone else off of a cliff (making it look like it was intentional by using their arms instead of just using force and knocking one body into the other).

Joe Moore

Insider
But there is no control with force (as far as the videos showed). Also, what if you had the ability to create a wind that forced opponents backwards, would that be telekinesis? Because I think by your definition it would be.
I guess it's really all semantics, or special effects. :)

Joe Moore

Insider
I think it should be implemented simply because I'd like to do things like make one guard punch another guard in the face. This would be almost impossible to do using force (I doubt force will be refined enough to focus just on the guard's hand in such a way that it would cause him to hit someone else). Telekinesis would allow much finer, more precise actions. You could make someone push someone else off of a cliff (making it look like it was intentional by using their arms instead of just using force and knocking one body into the other).
Depends on any special effects. So if you use your ability on one person to move their arms to push another; and the glowing effect happens around the arms, then not quite what's intended?

Then you'd want to use mind control, assuming there's no visible effect.

Although this would be awesome, I would be surprised if even BME could implement this effectively. How do you get this to happen? I think the iso view would limit accuracy. Also, is there a way to make this happen simply and practically? The last thing you want to be doing in the middle of a fight is struggling with the controls.

Oona

Insider
If you are able to tele people, I don't think you would be able to target specific limbs to move, probably just bring them off the ground and float them to wherever you want them, like off a cliff, or lift them high enough and then let them loose so they fall and break their neck, or in a fire pit.

Wow, just realized I sound like a sadist. I'm really not...

Tony

Insider
Although this would be awesome, I would be surprised if even BME could implement this effectively. How do you get this to happen? I think the iso view would limit accuracy. Also, is there a way to make this happen simply and practically? The last thing you want to be doing in the middle of a fight is struggling with the controls.
I wasn't thinking of doing these things in the middle of a fight. I was thinking of doing it to cause distractions or to put blame on someone else... in other words: to be devious. It would be very simple to use telekinesis. I already described it once a few posts up but I'll copy and paste in case you missed it:

And I think it would be rather simple to use. Whatever you aim the mouse cursor at while holding down the right mouse button is what you will focus the telekinesis on. Drag the mouse where you want to move the item. Release right mouse button when you're done.
You can rotate the camera left/right and you can zoom the camera in and out to aim at precisely what you want... I see no problems with using telekinesis in the aforementioned ways.

Tony

Insider
If you are able to tele people, I don't think you would be able to target specific limbs to move, probably just bring them off the ground and float them to wherever you want them, like off a cliff, or lift them high enough and then let them loose so they fall and break their neck, or in a fire pit.

Wow, just realized I sound like a sadist. I'm really not...
Why should we be limited to using it in such a way? This really would limit our options :(

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.