Thoughts and Ideas General

PapaHet

So that access is given only for the money? And I meant to put at least one version of the alpha version to share. And then there's the question: Do the developers of the distribution of at least one demo to share?

Tony

Insider
I think wearing a full helmet should reduce vision and hearing somewhat. And open helmets that still cover the ears should reduce sound only.

It would both be realistic and give you a small reason to not equip one, especially if you are sneaking around and listening for enemies.
The sound part I can understand but how would they reduce vision considering the game isn't first person perspective? Dimming the edges of the screen would just be awkward and not make much sense considering your view is from above and you could still see yourself.

Last edited:

roaala

Insider
Well, they are already controlling how far you see when it comes to open and closed doors, and whether they have a hole in them or not.

Maybe they could narrow your field of view, like a cone of sight, or make everything 2 meters behind you dark or out of focus.

Tony

Insider
Well, they are already controlling how far you see when it comes to open and closed doors, and whether they have a hole in them or not.

Maybe they could narrow your field of view, like a cone of sight, or make everything 2 meters behind you dark or out of focus.
Again, this would be awkward. Putting a helmet on my head would obscure my vision in a very specific way (depending on the design of the helmet). Not being able to see behind you wouldn't make sense because if that was the case your character should never be able to see behind them (no eyes on the back of your head). Obviously the game is not even attempting to only show what your character can see from their eyes since you can, indeed, see behind you.

The darkening of rooms makes sense since you are only seeing what is in your current vicinity. It's not attempting to show what your character is seeing from their actual eyes but limiting vision to areas which are not visible due to walls/doors.

I guess what I'm saying is that restricting vision due to helmets isn't consistent. If they're going to restrict vision based upon what you can actually see from your eyes it should be consistent, not only sometimes accurate and sometimes not. The devs are against adding mechanics that shout "hey, this is a game mechanic!" which breaks immersion. I can't think of any way to consistently block vision in a logical way that doesn't feel like a game mechanic there just for the sake of it.

Putting first person perspective restrictions on a game that is using a third person perspective wouldn't work well.

Last edited:

roaala

Insider
Not being able to see through doors and walls could very well be seen as a first person perspective restriction, so they are arguably already thinking about that.

The restrictions are not accurate, but some of them are already there, so adding one more when wearing a full helmet wouldn't feel inconsistent to me at least.

In the game you can see behind you and around corners, so removing or limiting something like that when a helmet is on could be like loosing some peripheral vision in real life.

Maybe there are better ways to do this, but I think it would feel weird to sneak around in a full helmet. And as far as I know your footsteps are louder when wearing heavy armor in the game, so hiding and searching for threats in a cave or a dungeon with a plate helmet on wouldn't be very realistic or consistent.

Minq

Insider
Mmm. I don't like extra artificial restrictions. Maybe add a bonus to ranged accuracy when not using helmets, or something.

On another note, I'd like to see Zombies be more zombie-like in their animations. Dragging weapons and using bare hands to attack. It'd make them very different from fighting regular humans. Just a thought.

Vaihuite

Insider
Hi, idea,
what are you thinking for: destructible/degraduable wooden shields

so if it possible it will be very intersting in arena combat, and metal shield will be more efective naturaly.

Last edited:

Ruusunpuna

Insider
I agree completely and I believe that this combat engine in the context of a competitive multiplayer tournament has the potential to be an amazing spectator event. The depth of the combat appears to be such that players will emerge that amaze us with how good they have become at it. It really needs a multiplayer arena mode for that to happen though.
This is really something I've imagined and find very exciting. With today's popularity of E-sports and spectating I honestly believe Sui Generis pvp-streams could be a huge hit. I believe Sui Generis has very unique potential for this, for many reasons.

1. Everyone "gets" it.
Say you've never heard of this game before and happen on a twitch stream which broadcasts a pvp-tournament. You see exciting fighting and the objective of the game is clear. Lots of cool movements and swings - it's like you're watching a real fight. Compare this to a game of Dota or CS. The viewer doesn't really have a clue about anything. With Sui Generis you would instantly be in on the game.

2. Meaningful contestants
With Sui Generis there are limitless possibilities to customizing your playstyle. From the kind of equipment you use to how you fight. Very talented individuals may create their own unique trademark-style. The contestant now means something, he isn't just doing everything exactly the most efficient way like in other games. He doesn't use the coldly calculated, most efficient class but his own style. It would be fun to see these different characters clash and see who is better.

Also special arenas could be created to make fights more interesting. Various gameplay-alternating level-designs, interesting hazards and traps, and other unique variables would make for very interesting spectating.

Faelivrin

Insider
I have a suggestion that maybe could probe a bit of a challenge on the techy side, but that i think it would a nice creepy touch on the environment even implemented on a simple way (in fact it does exist, but for some reason cannot be seen in-game). It's not a new thing, it's more a mix of two existing ones.

On one hand, in the part of the kick-starter video when Madoc shows the environment editor, we can also see some controls for the weather (lightning, rain, fog and wind, minute 5:12).

On the other hand, on the ExAnima splash screen it can be seen some spiderwebs. I was wondering, why the spiderwebs weren't added in-game. They would make a nice touch even if it's just added as static prop.

And the risky bet here. Ignoring how the wind system works, me cannot help but wonder if it would be possible to make the spiderweb react to the wind... i think it would look fantastic on long dark corridors with a subtle windy sound. Add some volumetric dust particles too and i would say that creepiness and desolateness feeling that the game conveys quite good already would be multiplied x10.

EDIT:
This last solution is very likely the most time consuming to implement/support and the most computing expensive, but i can think of a third intermediate one (in complexity). Instead of adding them as a static asset or as a reacting soft body, it could be animated to make it vibrate being triggered along the wind sound. But i think it's Madoc who is doing the animations, so any minor feature that distract him from programming tasks will delay the game. Maybe if an animator is hired at some point this feature could be more feasible.

But as a hopeless romantic i am, i still wish Madoc achieve soft bodies reacting to wind, because that would also make possible flags reacting to wind and cloaks reacting to wind. Who said epic!

Last edited:

Faelivrin

Insider
Still as a hopeless romantic i am, i still wish Madoc achieve soft bodies reacting to wind, because that would also make possible flags reacting to wind and cloaks reacting to wind. Who said epic!
I will dare to quote myself here. Yeah i know that's quite uncommon and not very orthodox, but it is about something related to this. And lacking for a more appropriate thread..

A couple of releases back i remember seeing a new feature on the respective changeset: soft bodies. I have been keeping an eye open, yet i didn't saw anything that fulfill that concept.. or at least what i understand about soft bodies. Anybody did? i ask because maybe i got the term wrong.

Last edited:

burgzaza

Insider
Yeah true.
Well, I remember when I read that there were "soft bodies" I bashed again and again actual undeads corpses, and, well I'm not sure but it seems they "bent" a bit, though maybe it was just my imagination...
I really wanted to find out xD

Faelivrin

Insider
From the wiki:
Unlike in simulation of rigid bodies, the shape of soft bodies can change, meaning that the relative distance of two points on the object is not fixed. While the relative distances of points are not fixed, the body is expected to retain its shape to some degree (unlike a fluid). The scope of soft body dynamics is quite broad, including simulation of soft organic materials such as muscle, fat, hair and vegetation, as well as other deformable materials such as clothing and fabric. Generally, these methods only provide visually plausible emulations rather than accurate scientific/engineering simulations, though there is some crossover with scientific methods, particularly in the case of finite element simulations. Several physics engines currently provide software for soft-body simulation.
Yeah true.
Well, I remember when I read that there were "soft bodies" I bashed again and again actual undeads corpses, and, well I'm not sure but it seems they "bent" a bit, though maybe it was just my imagination...
I really wanted to find out xD
While i guess soft bodies concept could extend to some degree to soft corpses, honestly, it is not what was on my mind hahaha

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.