Unable to play due to... Iunno?

Avramovic

Supporter
Maybe it's Steam's fault, or it's just that my PC is craptastic (Intel C2D E5200 @2.4GHz, 3GB DDR2, 32bit Windows XP SP3), but ever since I installed the god-awful Gabe's crap on my comp the Exanima starts, BM's logo does nicely and then all hell breaks loose - screen flickers, I get error message about rendering interface (if I'm lucky) or it just freezes altogether with some stupid announcement from Steam in lower right corner (if I'm unlucky).

ATM I'm trying to download the 600+ MB 0.5.0 client directly from backer page, hopefully it'll work better. I lived 38 years just nicely without Steam and this pretty detail reminded me why I don't want to use it.... but, just in case that anyone has had similar problems and I'm bashing Valve unjustifiably, please post in this thread. Mayhap, we can help each other.

EDIT: I've managed to turn off everything in Steam, including the overlay, and now I manage to make it all the way to character creation, which is again nicely blocked by the error message. Back to Minesweeper, I guess.

Last edited:

Madoc

Project Lead
First thing that comes to mind is updating your graphics drivers, might be useful if you posted or sent us your log file which you can find in %AppData%\Exanima (just paste this into the run box or explorer address bar).

Avramovic

Supporter
Yeahh, did so but the poor ol' HD3850 is able to do only so much :/ I did manage, however, to run the Steam-less game version, spending a happy 20 minutes tripping over chairs and barrels before the dreaded error messages appeared again. For all it's worth let me just say DAMN, this is one good looking game. I just hope that, when (not 'if') I die, it isn't completely comical.

EDIT: Log file is, as follows
Version: V 0.5.0
System: 2 CPU cores detected.
System: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
System: OpenGL version 3.3.10907 Compatibility Profile Context
System: Max texture units: 16
Audio Device: OpenAL Soft
Error: Error rendering user interface.
Error: Unknown Error
Error: Unknown Error
My poor PC is ready for retirement :(

ozsem

Same and I sometimes get a black screen too. Also I heard deleting the .ini helped with something, but Im not fully sure.

Avramovic

Supporter
After a PC restart I seem to be doing fine, can start the game and create a char, even though a portion of intro screen looks black, but after the first room's exploration, right after I open the door and exit the room, black strips start to flicker all over the screen and I have no other option but to Alt+F4. I'm suspecting that this is somehow tied to my ATI card.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.