Update #30

blobface

Insider
Edit: Oh, and i'm not even going to talk about the estimated/promised release date of the FULL game which was May 2014.
Then I think there's pretty much only yourself to blame for having unrealistic expectations, Divine Divinity Original Sin, DayZ, Wasteland 2, the list goes on forever, games (where the dev really care about the outcome) take much longer to develop than anyone could anticipate, even if they have millions and a large studio to back them in some cases, Sui Generis had £160,000, and what they have already achieved is incredible.

I'm pretty sure I commented days after I gave £60 saying I'd be surprised if it's out in May of 2015, but if you back anything on Kickstarter and expect it to be on time, you're doing it wrong. Forcibly meeting deadlines, making games that everyone is sure will sell, and giving investors guarantees of how much return there will be and how quickly it will come is why so many games are shit these days, so please, let the passionate people do their work, if it takes another year, it'd have to take another year.

rattle

Insider
I've found out about the prelude release by accident...
This game needs more media coverage, desperately!
Does not help if everything happens behind closed doors.
Just saying it.

What's the status on streaming the prelude to sites like twitch.tv or footage on YouTube?
Are there still plans to get a stable prelude build off on steam greenlight?

lvk

Insider
@rattle The NDA is still in effect, so no streaming yet, but it will be lifted soon. BM is making sure the prelude doesn't have any more serious issues, and then they'll lift it - at least I believe that's the plan.

If they want coverage, I'm pretty sure all they'd have to do is send the alpha build to TotalBiscuit, who already seems fond of the game.

Andrakys

Insider
I have always hoped that TotalBiscuit would be the one to review it. He seems to be the most unbiased (and therefore respected at least by me) reviewer around and would (IMO) give the game a fair go. More importantly I think he is the perfect person to stress what this game actually is and the inherent challenges it presents. That it is not an easy game to be face rolled by everyone on their first interaction and furthermore; that despite this it is worth the effort of learning this 'new' style of gameplay. This game needs a sober introduction to the gaming community at large and TB would be a perfect avenue for just that :) (not a fanboi :p)

Andrakys

Insider
Are you trying to say that a first impression explained and detailed out with thoughts pros cons etc isn't a review?

Because honestly that seems pedantic to way beyond a reasonable point.

I do get what you are saying but really (and I mean really) why bother?

turtleman155

Insider
well personally my first impressions were wow this is cool its a big dungeon with zombies after an hour i was like this is so much more than i thought after a day i was like HOLY SHIT I CANT WAIT FOR THE FULL THING TO COME OUT :D

lvk

Insider
@Andrakys Reviews are generally structured differently, and have to be fully written out before you can make a video out of a review. I actually don't follow TotalBiscuit myself, so I may be wrong here, but I very much appreciate his help in giving the Kickstarter campaign the final push it needed.

Andrakys

Insider
@Ivk What you have described is almost exactly what he does :D. He just calls them WTF is... or has previously mentioned them as first impressions. For example with the most recent Civ game - Beyond Earth. It is basically text book reviewing. He doesn't give it a number out of 10 but he is SO so thorough in every other way that he doesn't have to. It's not like he just turns the game on and plays 30 minutes. He has a pre prepared savegame 3 hours in with most things unlocked and a solid understanding of game mechanics so he can explain the pros and cons, the well designed and poor, what's new and what is recycled. Saying he 'doesn't review' and 'never has' is IMO silly nitpicking. Its like saying a sedan isn't a car (and yes, I am terrible at metaphors). If you are saying that there are different formats for reviews - awesome! that just means I prefer his. Why does it stop being a review when he labels it WTF is... or first impression? 0_o

The definition of review is 'a critical appraisal of a book, play, film, etc. published in a newspaper or magazine.'

He does nothing BUT give a critical appraisal of every aspect down to the most minute detail in the options menus. He even often goes into the history of the company that makes the games to define pedigree of developer.

How specific does it have to be? 3-4 paragraphs, beginning middle and end, score out of 10 or it's not a review? It just seems a bit much.

edit - removed unnecessary section.

Last edited:

ZaratanCho

Insider
TB himself says he doesn't do reviews though ;d I guess it is not first impression but it is not a review either it is "WTF is..." something in the middle ?

Empire²

Insider
I think the term "Review" has a slightly different meaning in games journalism.

A First Impressions is, quite literally, the impression game gives you after or during your first foray into it. A review of a game is usually done retrospectively, either with the idea that the game is "done", or when the reviewer decides they are done with it.

Being someone that both consumes a lot of TB's content and has followed Sui Generis' development for quite some time, I have some pros and cons I think should be considered.

Sui Generis is not a game everyone can appreciate going into blind. The fact that not a single animation in the game is rigid and the unconventional combat will skew the perspective someone has of it fairly quickly, unless they've acclimatised to similar games or at least the physics based aspect of SG.

TB's "praise" (If that's what you want to call it) is definitely a sign that the game would be in good hands with him, especially when you take into account that a notable portion of his following has been around since his WoW days, which would (in my eyes) make it a lot more likely there's going to be some cRPG enthusiasts among them.

What I fear for, however, is how that's going to bounce around Youtube. Because of SG's physics-driven nature, it can cause some fairly hilarious scenes. Anyone who has been playing Exanima or the Combat Alpha can tell you that much. I think that there's always a possibility for a game to turn into "Youtuber Bait", be it intentional or not. Once SG starts picking up pace and spends more time in the public eye, it's going to attract people who are going to turn a flat-out revolutionary (in concept, at least for now) RPG into the next Happy Wheels or Goat Simulator.

"FLOPPY SWORD MAN THE 3RD STRIKES AGAIN! Ep. #413" - PewDiePie, 4.1 million views. Let that soak in. Bathe in it and shiver.

Empire²

Insider
Well it's the internet, there is never a shortage of moronic behavior.
lol, well that speaks for itself doesn't it?

What I'm trying to say is that I don't want that sort of publicity for Sui Generis. Don't get me wrong, I hope Bare Mettle manage to make this the "next big thing", but I don't think there's a positive value in having the game travel in those circles, so to speak.

Murf

lol, well that speaks for itself doesn't it?

What I'm trying to say is that I don't want that sort of publicity for Sui Generis. Don't get me wrong, I hope Bare Mettle manage to make this the "next big thing", but I don't think there's a positive value in having the game travel in those circles, so to speak.
I understand, :) my snarky comment meant to imply that there is nothing that can be done about it. Unfortunately, it's gonna happen. I think SG will weather the worst of it pretty well though.

Avramovic

Supporter
sooo... it's only a wild guess but I don't think there'll be anything down the digital chimney this Christmas for us 10 GBP peasants -_-

Vold

Insider
sooo... it's only a wild guess but I don't think there'll be anything down the digital chimney this Christmas for us 10 GBP peasants -_-
Considering that the Prelude has not passed through beta, I am pretty sure that digital santa will not visit the 10GBP chimneys, but maybe 20GBP will get something... who knows. :p

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.