What Mod Would You Make?

Oona

Insider
I wonder if the devs could arrange this. They must have been using something similar to get the original screenshots of the game. I hope they release this feature at some point. I'd never lack inspiration for my desktop wallpapers ever again! :)
No kidding! SG is by far one of the most gorgeous games I have ever seen! And the first video on SG where Madoc demonstrates the weather and night/day effects is amazing, it would be a shame not to have a camera mode for a view of the horizon!

tiny lampe

Insider
No kidding! SG is by far one of the most gorgeous games I have ever seen! And the first video on SG where Madoc demonstrates the weather and night/day effects is amazing, it would be a shame not to have a camera mode for a view of the horizon!
If I remember correctly, Madoc confirmed that through taumaturgy it would be possible to possess an Ogre. So...maybe it will be possible to take control of other creatures like birds as well? This would allow us to see the sky and gameplay-wise it would make sense to possess a bird if you want to scout an area you are unfmiliar with.

Komuflage

Insider
If I remember correctly, Madoc confirmed that through taumaturgy it would be possible to possess an Ogre. So...maybe it will be possible to take control of other creatures like birds as well? This would allow us to see the sky and gameplay-wise it would make sense to possess a bird if you want to scout an area you are unfmiliar with.
Honestly I think that if you possess a bird, you would still see it in a isometric view, hence you wouldn't be able to see the sky.

root

Insider
Actually I registered to forum just to start a thread about the the following but since it fits better to this thread, I am posting here.

In the last years survival games gained traction. (Minecraft?, Starbound, Don't Starve, Rust, DayZ, etc.) I am currently playing early alpha of DayZ and incredibly loving it. Even if I died due to bugs, other selfish players etc.

First thing came to my mind is if Sui Generis could have mod like this? (DayZ was an Army II mod before, and now it is standalone).

Sui Generis has nice graphics, from videos I can say playability will be good and incredible physics make survival requirements more realistic.

DayZ -as I said still in early alpha- has very few zombies so most of the players are killing each other. So a with a nice balance of monsters (more monsters -> players depend each other more), items (nice combinations, rarer swords improve RPG elements) etc and also with a nice AI, it could be masterpiece Game Mod.

I met DayZ recently, and when I looked back, lots of people bought Arma II just to play DayZ mod at that timeframe. So this kind a mod or moddability could be nice for marketing the game also.

TL;DR: I hope with the postponed release date the team could have time for modding. And also hope this kind of mod will be made for Sui Generis.

What do you think? Wouldn't it be nice while taking a break from the actual game and play a few hours of survival?

Empire²

Insider
The idea is nice, but I think the main difference between Sui Generis and DayZ is that SG isn't a multiplayer-focused game to begin with.

DayZ relies heavily on the pvp interaction. That doesn't merely mean having a shootout, but also having a truce with someone and temporarily working together. The zombies are indeed no real threat, and were never really intended to be much danger to anyone with decent gear. Not to mention that melee combat in DayZ and ArmA is absolutely rubbish.

Sui Generis is a different story. The multiplayer that is being talked and speculated about is closer to something like Fable or Borderlands, where only a small number of players can be on a server. Sui Generis is also, due to the lack of firearms, a much slower paced game in terms of combat. This would ruin the aspects of betrayal and backstabbing that could possibly occur. Even if you were to create 64-player servers, the game just doesn't fit the format very well. If you turn your back towards someone you've allied with, the potential danger is very limited, due to the lack of a first-person perspective. There is also no way of killing someone before they have a chance to strike back, making the whole dynamic fairly wonky.

What I would suggest, that isn't really the same, is having the following:

On a server with a limit of 16 people, players get spawned in random rooms. These rooms are randomly generated and can be filled with loot and enemies. Seldom will players spawn in the same room, but when they meet up, both players have a clear choice. Will they see their fellow player as an adversary, and wonder what treasures they'll be able to loot from their corpse, or will they see this person as an ally, and settle on a truce, in order to conquer the dangers of this dungeon? This would not only make the pvp interaction a lot more personal, but it would also heavily accent the consequences of killing/joining up with someone. Monsters will be patrolling everywhere, and the choice to kill your ally might backfire as skeletons seem to pour out of the woodwork. This would create a sense of emergency, and last-ditch efforts at saving/protecting those in danger. This would spark stories in the same way DayZ does in its format; experienced players skulking along spawn-points on the map, looking to kill newcomers and take what they have, and other players seeking out these poachers and making the area a bit safer for everyone.

I think that would fit a lot better as a distraction from the single-player "campaign", and wouldn't so much break the dynamic that Sui Generis seems to build in terms of tactical gameplay and the interactions between both players themselves and the world around them.

That's just my two cents, anyways.

root

Insider
Dayz was completely an entrance to make my point. I completely agree with this part:

DayZ relies heavily on the pvp interaction. That doesn't merely mean having a shootout, but also having a truce with someone and temporarily working together. The zombies are indeed no real threat, and were never really intended to be much danger to anyone with decent gear. Not to mention that melee combat in DayZ and ArmA is absolutely rubbish.
Sui Generis is a different story. The multiplayer that is being talked and speculated about is closer to something like Fable or Borderlands, where only a small number of players can be on a server. Sui Generis is also, due to the lack of firearms, a much slower paced game in terms of combat. This would ruin the aspects of betrayal and backstabbing that could possibly occur. Even if you were to create 64-player servers, the game just doesn't fit the format very well. If you turn your back towards someone you've allied with, the potential danger is very limited, due to the lack of a first-person perspective. There is also no way of killing someone before they have a chance to strike back, making the whole dynamic fairly wonky.
But what I mean is using same physics, combat action, nature, buildings terrain with the original game. But add a survival aspect to it as a mod. Both Don't starve, Starbound and Dayz share very little gameplay experince besides survival. Combat action, gear, person (camera) view etc. They are different and the mod in my mind will be yet another survival but I don't know a better one maybe, not combat oriented but RPGoriented. Betrayal and backstabbing can be very hard, I agree, but that is not that all these games.

What I would suggest, that isn't really the same, is having the following:
On a server with a limit of 16 people, players get spawned in random rooms. These rooms are randomly generated and can be filled with loot and enemies. Seldom will players spawn in the same room, but when they meet up, both players have a clear choice. Will they see their fellow player as an adversary, and wonder what treasures they'll be able to loot from their corpse, or will they see this person as an ally, and settle on a truce, in order to conquer the dangers of this dungeon? This would not only make the pvp interaction a lot more personal, but it would also heavily accent the consequences of killing/joining up with someone. Monsters will be patrolling everywhere, and the choice to kill your ally might backfire as skeletons seem to pour out of the woodwork. This would create a sense of emergency, and last-ditch efforts at saving/protecting those in danger. This would spark stories in the same way DayZ does in its format; experienced players skulking along spawn-points on the map, looking to kill newcomers and take what they have, and other players seeking out these poachers and making the area a bit safer for everyone.
I think that would fit a lot better as a distraction from the single-player "campaign", and wouldn't so much break the dynamic that Sui Generis seems to build in terms of tactical gameplay and the interactions between both players themselves and the world around them.
That's just my two cents, anyways.
conquering a castle sounds nice! I think lots of people can give idea. They can still spawn at nature, collect food, maybe cook. build clan, it can be up to modder's and other players imagination. Gameplay elements can be developed while playing in beta.

Cooper Holt

Insider
I'd definitely make a zombie apocalypse type mod. That kind of thing has always interested me. Too bad that genre reached its peak (apparently) in 2013, and people are getting tired of it. I guess I'd make it just for me and other fans of the zombie genre.

Crayfish

Insider
I'll add another vote for a survival style perma-death mod ala DayZ.

I love the idea of a game with the excellent engine of Sui Generis that starts you off with a dagger and a life and that's all. In a DayZ style multi-server environment it doesn't matter if the servers have a low player population, in fact the smaller the maps are the smaller the population needs to be to make player interactions more meaningful and not too brutally unrelenting.

Empire²

Insider
How about a Full Invasion mod? A sort of separate, story-driven mode where you start as a footman in a company of armed forces charged with the defense against a naval invasion by a much larger faction. You work your way up from a peon to a full-blown commander, taking down enemies raiding coastal villages and blockading the onslaught of ships by either tactically detaching soldiers to various places from the city, or by getting dirty yourself and leading your company into battle.

Word would arrive from couriers whenever ships would be sighted closeby, allowing you to either avoid conflict and build your forces inside your city walls, or choose to engage to hold off enemy forces. Mind you, battles would have to be sized down to some degree. SG is not made for CQC between two sides of 30 soldiers. Most of these raids that would occur might not be more than a handful of soldiers, spread out across a larger village area to avoid getting in conflict with every enemy simultaneously, although a larger scale battle (30 v. 30-ish, counting reinforcements that would arrive as forces deplete.) would be nice.

I don't know what it is about zombies. I genuinely think they're both overdone, and what bugs me more, done in a completely unoriginal and bland way. Whether or not you agree with me is up to you, but I don't think Sui Generis will lend itself very well to do something really refreshing with it. The whole zombie survival "genre" is just being chewed up and spit out over and over, and we're left with so many copycat games that I can't tell half of them apart anymore.

I think, rather than zombie apocalypse, going with something less dissonant from the original theme, like legions of demon-possessed heathens or shadow-bound/ghost humanoids & creatures would make the mod feel much more cohesive as a part of SG itself.

Who knows, though? It wouldn't be the first time someone used modding tools to create a completely different game, only to see a standalone version of it appear on the "shelves" some time later (DayZ, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, DOTA, Garry's Mod, Red Orchestra).

It honestly only makes me more excited to see both how SG turns out in the first place, and if & how the modding community will react to the game.

root

Insider
I don't know what it is about zombies. I genuinely think they're both overdone, and what bugs me more, done in a completely unoriginal and bland way. Whether or not you agree with me is up to you, but I don't think Sui Generis will lend itself very well to do something really refreshing with it. The whole zombie survival "genre" is just being chewed up and spit out over and over, and we're left with so many copycat games that I can't tell half of them apart anymore.
I think, rather than zombie apocalypse, going with something less dissonant from the original theme, like legions of demon-possessed heathens or shadow-bound/ghost humanoids & creatures would make the mod feel much more cohesive as a part of SG itself.
I agree, zombies are overdone at the moment. Look at the game Rust. They took a brave turn and removed all the zombies from their survival game: http://playrust.com/6th-feb-update/

That is the point I want to make; zombies are not necessary to make a great survival game. If a lean, bare bone survival game mod is produced, other people can derive their kind of survival.

The point of survival games should be, lots of enemies, few players and limited resources (for them to cooperate). For many cases easiest way to do this is a post-apocalypse scenario to eliminate mass population of humans (players). For Sui Generis case, this could be, I don't know, Dragons, Orcs, Werewolves or other fantastic enemies. Maybe a slave rebellion against brutal masters (which have more food, more firepower than players, etc.)

Who knows, though? It wouldn't be the first time someone used modding tools to create a completely different game, only to see a standalone version of it appear on the "shelves" some time later (DayZ, Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, DOTA, Garry's Mod, Red Orchestra).
It honestly only makes me more excited to see both how SG turns out in the first place, and if & how the modding community will react to the game.
Yeah, the beauty of modding is this. You have half of the game you had in mind complete in front of you. All you have to do is reshape it into the game in your imagination. It increases the value of the game. It is like permitting people to use your patented invention to produce another valuable product for the community. I hope they make the game moddable.

The mod doesn't need to be a completely different game. Counter-Strike was different from half-life but it was a team deathmatch game with different capture the flag elements (hostage/bomb planting) with round based gamestyle. So basically it was a team deathmach.

So if the survival mod for Sui Generis can have key points and details that can make the game different from the other survival games than It could be the next Counter-Strike. Sui Generis seems to have these kind of arsenal for modders (physics engine, AI, nice isometric view). If the modders have imagination to implement key elements (for example having/training a companion, necessary key roles for party based gameplay etc) using these arsenal, then we are in luck!

BigT2themax

Insider
This thread is essentially "what are your wildest hopes and dreams for a game that involved this engine?". :p

Nothing wrong with that, however.

Anyways, seeing as how the devs have stated that the underworld and whatnot are all going to be handcrafted and the layout won't change or anything like that, I'd probably stick an entrance to some infinite dungeon somewhere in the overworld, with procedurally generated floors that go deeper and deeper. Maybe have the enemies inside scale to your strength or skills or whatever based on what it was when you entered, and have them get more and more difficult as you go further down, and also give you better loot as you go down, too. Of course, you'd have to escape the dungeon with said loot if you want to keep it.

Mostly it'd just be a nice place to go if you want to explore some more dungeons, or if you want to get some excellent loot. Maybe I'd put a limit to how far down the dungeon goes, say, 50-100 floors or so, with the really late floors getting almost impossibly hard, even for super-tough characters. That would add a really tough challenge for people to try and complete. Maybe give a reward in the form of several awesome pieces of equipment.

If I were very good at modding, I'd include this deep dungeon in an entirely new game mode where you'd just be dropped in a small town at the lowest level with a little money, and your goal would be to get to the bottom of the dungeon. Maybe giving this mode permadeath by default would give it a little roguelike flavour.

So yeah, that's what I'd add. A little something for the loot-seekers, for those who like exploring dungeons and for those who like challanges all in one.

JOhn6D

Insider
If it ins't implemented yet, I would make a mod that makes armor and weapons weaken over time. There would also be a system to restore the equipment to its original luster but regular maintenance would be required. Having a wooden shield break on you during a battle, or a sparing match, should be more frequent than having an iron shield break.

Leo

Insider
I would make a mod with advance army control, castle siege, and a goverment system. In a way that any character can raise an army control it by giving orders, maybe using a map to give orders, and the army be able to attack castle and take down the walls, or take over the country destroying the enemies defensive buildings and some essential houses. The goverment system so that i can select a new king for the town and new troops from my own faction and that people have to follow the new leaders of the town. Also this would allow for NPCs to rebel as well keeping the cycle going.

Empire²

Insider
I am utterly ashamed that when given this kind of fighting engine, nobody in this thread has mentioned some kind of star-wars related mod like lightsabre duels etc lol
That's because it's too obvious for anyone to have to confirm it. I want to make a Knights Of The Old Republic 3 happen, because it's my duty as a Star Wars fan!

Leo

Insider
I would make a mod that replaces all zombies with half naked girls. Like the skyrim mod

lvk

Insider
I would make a mod that replaces all zombies with half naked girls. Like the skyrim mod
Just about any given Skyrim mod replaces at least something in the game with a naked woman.

To complete the experience, make a mod that turns the combat extremely stale as well. I'm thinking of 15 minutes straight wailing on an unarmored NPC, or a rat.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.