What's taking so long?

Alaknár

Insider
Well, now that's some good news! Thanks for that @Snoopbear!

Still, damn shame the devs don't post more. Both projects (Sui Generis and Exanima) look pretty much abandoned on Steam...

Tony

Insider
Well, now that's some good news! Thanks for that @Snoopbear!

Still, damn shame the devs don't post more. Both projects (Sui Generis and Exanima) look pretty much abandoned on Steam...
Only if someone doesn't check the discussion boards on Steam (where the devs communicate regularly and there's even several pinned threads). Once the upcoming patch is released shouldn't be an issue either way.

Alaknár

Insider
So, like, 90% of potential customers? If someone stumbles upon the title by browsing the Store, what do they see? Two things:

1) It's in Early Access

2) No developer news since 2017-02-17

I guarantee people won't buy into an Early Access game and they most definitely will not browse the discussion boards of something that simply looks abandoned.

Tony

Insider
So, like, 90% of potential customers? If someone stumbles upon the title by browsing the Store, what do they see? Two things:

1) It's in Early Access

2) No developer news since 2017-02-17

I guarantee people won't buy into an Early Access game and they most definitely will not browse the discussion boards of something that simply looks abandoned.
Like I said in my previous post that's fine and shouldn't be an issue after this next update releases. Future updates won't take as long to release either so there will not be long periods between the news section being updated with new patch notes (Madoc estimates all of the remaining levels should be released within six months or so after this next update).

Alaknár

Insider
Did they provide any timeline? When to expect 6.6/6.7 being published? I don't even see any information about that on these forums here... Just a message from you about 6.6 being in testing which you posted almost two years after the last post from Madoc...

Again, I'm not saying this is vapour-ware, I'm just saying that for the longest time it looked to be abandoned, and I actually wouldn't even realise there's any work being done if I hadn't started changing all of my accounts' passwords to use BitWarden today. That's not how I imagine good communication with the Insider community should look, you know?

Tony

Insider
Nope, there's not a specific deadline for the patch to be released. Like with everything they do they release it when it's ready rather than according to some arbitrary timeline (they don't know how long things will take and can only make educated guesses/estimates).

I'm not sure what you mean by saying the last post from Madoc was over two years ago since his last post was on Jan 18th, 2018. He also posted a link to the official Bare Mettle Discord on the insider forum where he's active quite regularly. As far as more frequent communication goes after this next patch is released I'm going to start doing regular progress reports as well.

Alaknár

Insider
Come on, man... He posted two comments in a bug report thread. Before that he posted on 2017-08-22, half a year from today.

There's been no announcements, no news, no communication whatsoever on the Insider/Announcements or Updates forum for a year and a half. And I don't mean some obscure comment that 99% of the Kickstarter backers will never see, I mean an actual post.

And yeah, there's been NO Kickstarter communication for almost THREE YEARS (last email I got was update #35 sent on 2015-04-29).

It's great if you're super involved with the community (obviously you are, being a mod and all) and so you can find bits and pieces of information here, on the Steam community page, Discord or what-not. I'm saying that for a project that most probably could do with more funding, having it seem abandoned to an average, random potential paying customer is just irresponsible.

Jimmini

Insider
I'm saying that for a project that most probably could do with more funding, having it seem abandoned to an average, random potential paying customer is just irresponsible.
I don't think they need more funding, just more time. But they know best what's best for their company anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. They are doing well as it is, great in fact, releasing updates for beta testers very regularly and constantly adding new stuff.

Tony

Insider
I'm saying that for a project that most probably could do with more funding, having it seem abandoned to an average, random potential paying customer is just irresponsible.
Bare Mettle prefer to remain under the radar until Exanima is more feature complete. This is why they haven't tried to promote their games yet in any way, shape or form. Gaining a widespread audience at this point would likely hurt more than help. As far as funding goes they have enough to continue development so choosing to not promote the game yet isn't irresponsible.

I agree that more communication would be helpful which is why I mentioned above that I'm going to start doing regular progress reports and I've also discussed doing another KS update with Madoc. He said he'll do so after this next update releases and he has something significant to show since it has been so long he wants more than just written words.

If insiders choose to not use Discord where the devs are active that's up to them but the option is available for those interested in more direct and frequent communication.

Last edited:

teje1997

I agree that more communication would be helpful which is why I mentioned above that I'm going to start doing regular progress reports and I've also discussed doing another KS update with Madoc. He said he'll do so after this next update releases and he has something significant to show since it has been so long he wants more than just written words.
More or less when will it be released, I'm starting getting bored of the arena.

Even if you don't answer keep doing the good work guys, I love it!

Snoopbear

Nope, there's not a specific deadline for the patch to be released. Like with everything they do they release it when it's ready rather than according to some arbitrary timeline (they don't know how long things will take and can only make educated guesses/estimates).
So they CAN estimate? What would be a realistic estimate?

Tony

Insider
Well either or. I'd just be happy with any kind of info.
Like I mentioned previously Madoc estimated that Exanima will likely have all of the remaining levels added within 6 months after the next update is released. The next update is being beta tested currently and Madoc has been tweaking the dialogue and companion NPC mechanics which are working fairly well now in the test patch. He hopes to have the next post portal level ready for testing in the near future as well which is the last remaining item needed before the public release. I'd expect the public patch to be released within a month but that depends on how many issues arise during testing (could take more time, could be less).

teje1997

Like I mentioned previously Madoc estimated that Exanima will likely have all of the remaining levels added within 6 months after the next update is released. The next update is being beta tested currently and Madoc has been tweaking the dialogue and companion NPC mechanics which are working fairly well now in the test patch. He hopes to have the next post portal level ready for testing in the near future as well which is the last remaining item needed before the public release. I'd expect the public patch to be released within a month but that depends on how many issues arise during testing (could take more time, could be less).
A month more or less, well I have to admit that I come from waiting for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, and I'm a bit bored of they telling us more or less a release date and not doing it. I hope you are right there, I love all the work you have done by now, go on like that!.

Tony

Insider
A month more or less, well I have to admit that I come from waiting for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, and I'm a bit bored of they telling us more or less a release date and not doing it. I hope you are right there, I love all the work you have done by now, go on like that!.
Yeah, sadly that's just the nature of innovating and doing things that haven't been done before; you never know exactly how long it'll take since it's impossible to foresee all problems/issues that will arise and it requires a ton of trial-and-error to discover a viable solution before the testing phase can even begin. The developers can only give a rough estimate and hope it's correct but accurately predicting the future isn't an exact science :D.

teje1997

Yeah, sadly that's just the nature of innovating and doing things that haven't been done before; you never know exactly how long it'll take since it's impossible to foresee all problems/issues that will arise and it requires a ton of trial-and-error to discover a viable solution before the testing phase can even begin. The developers can only give a rough estimate and hope it's correct but accurately predicting the future isn't an exact science :D.
Yep I understand that, but TaleWorlds did it pretty bad in the past, they told us like 3 times a release date and that we could play a Demo and then we had nothing (by 2015 more or less) and now we are still waiting. Anyways they are doing now well, just like you, they dont give any information about the release date as they don't have to, just weekly blogs talking about the game. I think it's the correct way but the waiting is being terrible because exanima and Mount & Blade are really unique games and we can't play any other thing similar... It's not like waiting for a battlefield playing call of duty, it's just impossible. Here I can only play arena, and I feel bored, I know all the levels from beggining till end like I know my hand.

Go on with the good work! :)

Midcal9

It seems like the devs have decided not to release the game patch by patch but complete the whole thing in one go. That's only reasonable explanation so far.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.