Will this game be coming to Steam? Would go FAR!

Kyle

Hello,

I am very interested in buying this game but I do not like to have odd games installed all over the place, so I am wondering...

Will this game be coming to Steam?

I want to buy it I really really want it, seeing as it will have coop/ multiplayer and they are the only style games I want to play. This game looks amazing.

Plus Steam has one massive massive community and this game would flourish within the Steam community. Submit it to Greenlight and I guarantee it will get the votes you need to go full release within Steam.

If it goes Steam I will buy it. If it does not go Steam I doubt I will.

I am not kidding, pretty much everything I own is on Steam, apart from the odd big game BF3, GW2 etc which cannot be played on Steam.

Thank you anyway for taking the time to read this comment. I hope I get good news.

Well done on meeting the requirements on making this a full release, I hope you do well.

I look forward to your reply!

Ickorus

Insider
I went in for the Collector's Edition so I'll be playing the game regardless but I also think Steam would be a good idea, it definitely gets a lot of games that would otherwise be overlooked publicity.

Of course, that's from the standpoint of a consumer, I imagine there are plenty of factors to consider from a developer position such as Valve's cut of the profits.

Prasse

Insider
I truly hope not, i´m kind of against steam, or any other services that forces me to be online to play LAN or plainly just to install my game.

Also, steam will die one day, not now, not in five years. But when it does all your games will be lost :(. Maybe i just hate these things since i collect games =/, but i want to be able to play my NES games today that i bought -91. Things like steam are nice, as long as it doesn´t shut down...

Rob

I can see the relevance of Steam. It's convenient. And it brings attention to indie games, and thus sales, especially (or perhaps only!) when there's a sale.

However, it's vitally important that the game works as a standalone first and foremost. I hate it when games are locked into the use of a particular platform, whether it's Steam or even worse a horrible company-specific scheme (e.g. Uplay, Origin).

Having to be online, connected to a server somewhere (which hopefully works), is an awful idea unless that functionality is directly related to gameplay. And invariably that is not the case, except for dedicated online games / MMOs.

As a soloist, I don't want to have a new generic online account, I don't care about useless "achievements", I don't want to be forced to participate in a community, I don't want to chat online, and I don't want all my friends to know what I'm doing!!!! :mad:

Ickorus

Insider
I actually like lot of those things, forces my anti-social self to play games with friends.

But back to the topic, I've rarely seen a game only available on Steam so the worry that the game will be backed into only using Steam shouldn't be too much of a worry, there are also many other digital distributors available and of course Bare Mettle can sell directly from this website if they wish, the benefit of Steam is mostly in it's ability to advertise the game to millions of people who otherwise may not see the game at all.

I think we'll see as release draws nearer whether a Steam would be a good idea for the game, if the game's popularity really picks up (Like, Minecraft popular) it may be unneccessary from a marketing standpoint but then there are still many people like OP who won't buy it otherwise and BM would need to gauge how large a number that is to decide whether it is worth it.

Rob

I actually like lot of those things, forces my anti-social self to play games with friends.
Sure... whilst I was on a bit of a flame, I did mean it friendlily, and I do get that a lot of people like the more social things. Everyone's allowed to like what they like!!!:)

My biggest problem is when you've *got* to use a particular online distribution system, even if you buy the retail box. I'm primarily thinking of Ubisoft here, but there are others. As you say, Steam isn't guilty of this (because it is itself only a distributor, not a publisher).

I agree that putting Sui Generis on Steam would be a good idea... providing Bare Mettle were getting a good deal out of it. Perhaps a delayed Steam release would be sensible.

Prasse

Insider

But back to the topic, I've rarely seen a game only available on Steam so the worry that the game will be backed into only using Steam shouldn't be too much of a worry, there are also many other digital distributors available and of course Bare Mettle can sell directly from this website if they wish, the benefit of Steam is mostly in it's ability to advertise the game to millions of people who otherwise may not see the game at all.

I think we'll see as release draws nearer whether a Steam would be a good idea for the game, if the game's popularity really picks up (Like, Minecraft popular) it may be unneccessary from a marketing standpoint but then there are still many people like OP who won't buy it otherwise and BM would need to gauge how large a number that is to decide whether it is worth it.
Not true actually, a lot of games forces you to use STEAM even if you buy them physically. So technically it´s only on steam. Take Skyrim as a horrible, HORRIBLE example.

Ickorus

Insider
Not true actually, a lot of games forces you to use STEAM even if you buy them physically. So technically it´s only on steam. Take Skyrim as a horrible, HORRIBLE example.
Those games choose to use Steam as free DRM, Steam doesn't force them to only use Steam; as far as I'm aware Bare Mettle will already be distributing DRM free so would more than likely use multiple digital distribution platforms.

Prasse

Insider
Even if they "only use steam as DRM" they are forcing me to play only through steam. And i don't really care of Steam forces them or not, cyanide never forced anyone to make people eat it, but it sure as hell can be used for that purpuose rather effectivly. Just saying, don't give steam any more power then it allready has, you will regret it one day :p.

I remember buying Half Life 2 from a charity shop only to discover I then had to download steam & buy a code to actually play it. I was pissed off that day! I think BME would be crazy not to sell it on steam because it is so popular but at the same time the game must be installable & playable without an internet connection.

Prasse

Insider
SG will be DRM free, as they said. And i get why you want steam, really. I´m just so against it :p. Just as an example me and my friends had rigged up our computers at my place at the day of the Skyrim release. And ofc steams servers were busy. For like the entire day... Thankfully we found a workaround, but you shouldnt need to do that or be a computer expert just to get to play the offline game you just bought. Same thing goes for MW2, that LAN was prolly the worst one we had =/. I mean beside the game being bad, we could hardly play it, servers went down n up like a pig made of rubber.

Pantheon

Insider
And i get why you want steam, really. I´m just so against it :p.
There is no reason to be against it, when it's not mandatory.
Not releasing a game on Steam is a pretty bad move, as Steam has a huge player base and many like to have all of their games in one place.
Of course there are people who don't like Steam, so Steam should be an option and only that and everybody wins.

Clawdius

Supporter
I'd vote for it on Greenlight. I prefer to keep all of my games on my Steam account, it's convenient to me and doesn't cause me any trouble. I always find it odd when people suggest that Steam games cannot be played when you're not online, I certainly haven't ever had any trouble using the offline mode functionality. I can understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but considering the immediate and massive audience this opens the door to having an indie game on Steam can really bolster sales.

Komuflage

Insider
I'd vote for it on Greenlight. I prefer to keep all of my games on my Steam account, it's convenient to me and doesn't cause me any trouble. I always find it odd when people suggest that Steam games cannot be played when you're not online, I certainly haven't ever had any trouble using the offline mode functionality. I can understand it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but considering the immediate and massive audience this opens the door to having an indie game on Steam can really bolster sales.
I think the problem is not that you can't play it in offline mode, it's rather that you cant install it.

It's quite annoying when I'm home and and the internet dies, I want to play a particular single player game, just to realise I've to download it on steam, which I can't.
However I'm still for releasing the game on steam, as long as it's not a requirement.
Like Torchlight 2 for instance.

Parco

That made 0 sense :p
You only have to been online once with a specific account.
After that, if your internet dies, you can go into offline mode.
yea, but once you go online again, you have to activate offline to be able to play offline, if the internet goes away while im in online mode i wont be able to play.

Clawdius

Supporter
yea, but once you go online again, you have to activate offline to be able to play offline, if the internet goes away while im in online mode i wont be able to play.
That's actually entirely untrue. My internet often flakes out, and unless it is a multiplayer game I am playing on Steam I've never had any issues due to that. If you're in "Online" mode in Steam, even in a game that requires some Steam authorization in order to activate when you're in online mode, you can simply restart in offline mode at any time.

Of course, if you keep Steam in offline mode for longer than a month, it does want you to log in and look for updates and the like before it will work. I'm not saying that everyone should love Steam or anything, I just find it odd that so many people ascribe a variety of nonexistent issues to the service and say that is why they don't care to use it.

I think the problem is not that you can't play it in offline mode, it's rather that you cant install it.

It's quite annoying when I'm home and and the internet dies, I want to play a particular single player game, just to realise I've to download it on steam, which I can't.
However I'm still for releasing the game on steam, as long as it's not a requirement.
Like Torchlight 2 for instance.
I'm afraid I can't help you there, that's going to be an issue with any digital distribution service. If my internet goes out and I realize I want to play something I haven't downloaded off of Gog.com I'll have to wait until my internet is back up to download the game.

Unless you simply mean that some games utilize an "always online" aspect, which isn't a Steam requirement, but rather something publishers decide to incorporate for various reasons. I do understand that frustration though, any game using always-online functionality for a single player game is just DRM in a poor disguise.

Parco

That's actually entirely untrue. My internet often flakes out, and unless it is a multiplayer game I am playing on Steam I've never had any issues due to that. If you're in "Online" mode in Steam, even in a game that requires some Steam authorization in order to activate when you're in online mode, you can simply restart in offline mode at any time.
well, that mean steam is bugged on my computer, cuz thats how it acts :/

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.