World Traveling

I guess that could work, but it would annoy me greatly. I would feel like I was missing part of the world which seperates these areas if I could travel by horse. And if there was nothing separating the areas I'd be annoyed that I couldn't make it on foot. If there were different continents where a similar system applied but boat travel was necessary then I would relish in the opportunity to explore new land and enjoy the challenge of preparing for a journey!

hredthel

Insider
I guess that could work, but it would annoy me greatly. I would feel like I was missing part of the world which seperates these areas if I could travel by horse. And if there was nothing separating the areas I'd be annoyed that I couldn't make it on foot. If there were different continents where a similar system applied but boat travel was necessary then I would relish in the opportunity to explore new land and enjoy the challenge of preparing for a journey!
Agreed. The ability to travel in real-time between locations (be it by foot or animal) is, I believe, to be more important than the actual option of mounts.

edit: accidentally deleted a bracket in the quote code

That is allready something they dount have money to desighn polar or cold areas :p with the curent tool kit they could probably desighn swamps, plains and deserts, no idea about jungles or cold areas :)

unwoundpath

Insider
Boats are a must. I imagine naval combat in this game, fending off attackers as cannonballs fly and hit near you, knocking you off your feet, you get up only to see you are being boarded....

Why dont you ask for them to make you underwater combat like in guild wars 2 :p man they dont even have enought for there first goals much less other stuf :p

Psychomorph

Insider
You mean you would miss a month of traveling? See, I don't think about a system like in the Elder Scrolls games, where you can jog from Europe to Africa in eight minutes with sunsets each 2 minutes. I REALLY HATE THAT, I must say. I would like a game that at least tries to come somewhat close to real time, where the "micromalism" of the world design is not that apparent.
So the travel from one plane to another would be a travel of in-game weeks or months (conceptually).

Only way I think it could be implemented as playable would go against the Bare Mettle principles, namely the travel would be kind of a linear lengthy campaign (adventure) and the result is the discovery or reaching of another huge open-world plane. It needs to be linear, because it's not a sandbox, but a path that goes from A to B. These paths would connect the huge open-world sandbox planes.

There is potential for naval combat with this kind of engine though. With solid physics, diverse animations this engine could make for a great pirate RPG. The downside is that controlling large boats would feel silly on such an otherwise great engine in terms of world interaction. The physics may not translate to buoyancy and the like, and if it does, the boats will probably have to be way to close to reality in terms of design and navigation that it may simply become dull. The complexity of controlling the ship would in my opinion contrast too greatly with the controls of the characters on board.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear Psychomorph, I mean to say that I'd hate the idea that there was a huge distance full of lore that I was skipping on a loading screen, because I travelled by horse to a destination past it. Like travelling from London to Sydney, I want to be able to experience the world between the two, not just fly there. But I would also be annoyed if I was told there was nothing to miss between the two and that they are right next to each other. Because I'd still be flying and I'd rather just walk seamlessly across the border. So, I would prefer, like you, a huge trek which would take months of in-game time to get from A-C via B and not via a plane (loading screen) which is dull and uncomfortable.

However, there is only so much content that Bare Mettle can create, and if there were to be variety in the climates of the game, I'd certainly want to feel like I was travelling a long way (so that the climates were realistically far apart), just not feel as if I was missing something like the aforementioned month long trek.They cannot make the trek because, as I said, they lack the required funding/time. To achieve this, it's only logical for a dev to make an ocean between two climates. That way, I don't care that I miss the ocean, however, I still feel the world is realistic.

Orisoll

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're talking in terms of modding the engine, not features to be added to SG.

hredthel

Insider
Only way I think it could be implemented as playable would go against the Bare Mettle principles, namely the travel would be kind of a linear lengthy campaign (adventure) and the result is the discovery or reaching of another huge open-world plane. It needs to be linear, because it's not a sandbox, but a path that goes from A to B. These paths would connect the huge open-world sandbox planes.
That sounds much like Kingdoms of Amalur. You could jump from town to town, and everything was a string of sand-box zones, but you still had to run to any other location beit a dungeon or whatever. I liked that system very much, but I still wouldn't be disappointed if there was less fast-travel than that in SG.

Psychomorph

Insider
I'd certainly want to feel like I was travelling a long way (so that the climates were realistically far apart), just not feel as if I was missing something like the aforementioned month long trek. They cannot make the trek because, as I said, they lack the required funding/time. To achieve this, it's only logical for a dev to make an ocean between two climates. That way, I don't care that I miss the ocean, however, I still feel the world is realistic.
I agree, a travel by sea may appear more like you did not miss much, so it would be the best and also exciting way to go to a different part of the world. To go by ship has something "long journey" like to it.
But I think a caravan is similar. While you travel through land, it's not like you can just halt and go explore something, because the caravan is a bit like a train, it doesn't wait for you. Ship is a bit more sophisticated though.

For both, ship and sea travel things could work like this: You start the journey, the screen fades black, text appears saying "after two weeks of travel, we arrived in the eastern lands...", screen fades in showing your character outside the ship/caravan camp. The ship/camp will be your camp in the meantime, until it has to go back, where you can decide to return with it, or stay for a period of time until another ship/caravan from your home land arrives.

Bethesda couldn't do it and they have millions of dollars to throw at games. Yeah it's a neat feature, and I agree it would be cool to explore with if done very well: but for all the modeling, scripting, programming, physics work, new animations, sounds.... just seems like a pain in the ass for a small feature. The Devs are gonna make the right choices for this game and if mounts are part of SG I'm sure they will be awesome.
Bethesda has tons of money and they can't do a lot of things right, I don't think that means the team here is going to fail at it.

hredthel

Insider
Bethesda has tons of money and they can't do a lot of things right, I don't think that means the team here is going to fail at it.
and if mounts are part of SG I'm sure they will be awesome. ........................

...still can't see the part about me saying the Devs are going to fail at it.

The Hedge knight are you a real knight, as in a reenactor of days long past? Then you must allie your self with me the lord of metal we will conquer all who take us on :p

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.