A picture of a guinea pig in scale-mail armor

First of all, I hate that they actually put that "armour" on the guinea pig.
Even if it's just for a shoot. It's alot of metal and weight for a little critter.

Now on to the costs (Of course the amount it was sold for is ridiculous):

The scale-mail is made from polished steel scales and steel rings. It was painstakingly "woven" by me over several weeks in an effort to better prepare my guinea pig Lucky for the dangers of the modern world. The helmet was purchased at a Renaissance Faire later as it was the perfect finishing touch.
Miniature helmets of that kind you can get for about 30€.
The scales, they seem to be made of run-of-the-mill mediocre steel, no idea about the maille rings.

On a sidenote, it's completely and utterly stupid to weave scale armour with maille rings.
Scale protects better than maille in every way possible, so "weaving" it with maille adds an extreme amount of useless weight.

It would have been much less work if the person who made this "armour" just used leather lacing like in historical originals, or had just sewn them with strong thread.

Overall, it's a "collectors item", but with the uncertain quality of the actual materials used and the pointless use of maille rings to connect the scales, I really wouldn't consider it to be worth more than 150 - 200 €, and that's being generous due to "weaving" the scales IS quite a bit of work.

For a "real" scale shirt, modern replica, combat ready... well I'd say about 620€ will get you a decent one.
If you're willing to go for Eastern European budget quality, you might get one for about 400€.
Never been interested in scale though, so that's just a quick estimate considering the average prices of scale on markets that produce armour that can be used in combat and isn't -utter- crap.

Last edited:
Even if it's just for a shoot. It's alot of metal and weight for a little critter.

The scales, they seem to be made of run-of-the-mill mediocre steel, no idea about the maille rings.

On a sidenote, it's completely and utterly stupid to weave scale armour with maille rings.
Scale protects better than maille in every way possible, so "weaving" it with maille adds an extreme amount of useless weight.

It would have been much less work if the person who made this "armour" just used leather lacing like in historical originals, or had just sewn them with strong thread.

Overall, it's a "collectors item", but with the uncertain quality of the actual materials used and the pointless use of maille rings to connect the scales, I really wouldn't consider it to be worth more than 150 - 200 €, and that's being generous due to "weaving" the scales IS quite a bit of work.

For a "real" scale shirt, modern replica, combat read... well I'd say about 620€ will get you a decent one.
If you're willing to go for Eastern European budget quality, you might get one for about 400€.
Never been interested in scale though, so that's just a quick estimate considering the average prices of scale on markets that produce armour that can be used in combat and isn't -utter- crap.
This is by far

BY FAR

my favourite post on this entire forum.

Pancakez54

Insider

For a "real" scale shirt, modern replica, combat ready... well I'd say about 620€ will get you a decent one.
Seriousness taken to a whole new level ^^

I too am satisfied. Now I have a budget estimate for preparing my array of assorted rodents for direct combat.
I would ask you not to.

I'd find you and destroy you in direct combat before you get to torture your assorted rodents with the crippling weight of scale armour. :mad:

And this is me being half-serious.

Also: Glad to be of service. :)

lvk

Insider
@Elric von Rabenfels You'll be pleased to learn I don't own any rodents, scale mail armor, actual desire to have rodents, actual desire to have rodent-sized scale mail armor, or interest in putting it on the rodents I don't own.

However, should I ever be backed in a corner with nothing but rodents, strips of leather, neatly assorted scales and scale-replica helmets on my side, I'll know the approximate value of the raw materials had they been suited into rodent armor before I charge into battle myself (because sending rodents into battle is silly, and I don't have the time or skill necessary to weave rodent armor to fit when backed into a corner).

Not mentioned here is me losing quickly afterwards.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.