Being poisoned

Psychomorph

Insider
We all talked and laughed a lot about the drunk thing. I kind of doubt you'd get this all that often in the game. You would not make yourself drunk and then go fighting Trolls intentionally, but the world is a hostile place and you may not always be able to avert being poisoned. Poison can have a similar effect like alcohol on the condition and coordination. So the "drunk combat" could have some real use in the game actually.

Komuflage

Insider
You're probably right on the point that I wouldn't take my character to fight a troll if I had a few to many, however think about this scenario.

You found a cave, you decide to explore it for a bit, and while in there you found some npc that's trapped.
So you decide to help him, and as thank for helping him, he invites you to take a drink on a nearby pub.

So you sit there and take a few drinks, however, after the "drunk" effect kicks in, this NPC stands up and order you to give him all your belonging (He actually just drank water the whole time) and you can either just give him your stuff, or try fight him.
And there you have your awesome Drunken combat ^^

Or, you could just make some a npc drunk and try the same thing on him.

Venom

OOOOOOOOR

The man could've just poisoned your drink while you weren't looking and that specific scenario would end up the same way. Poison adds much more than alcohol, really. Imagine having poison-tipped arrows or spears and being able to apply the poison with the stealth mechanic.

Cooper Holt

Insider
I hope that poison is added but is not often used. I don't want to be playing with a whole bunch of people who are all completely OP with, say... a poisoned shank. It should also take time to kick in.

BrecMadak

Insider
Poison should have a dramatic effect on stats, resistances, slowing your reflexes down; just as in Fallout 1-2 (even it was for drug effects), with additional lengthened time getting rid of from body. Also we would need a build-up meter for such things, this also goes for bleeding. (reference Dark Souls)

666jet

Insider
Poison sounds epic to have in and should use real life times of poisons kicking in, you should be able to make them out of flowers and other world elements like dipping arrows into poo like has been done in many wars. I also think you should be able to build up a tolerance to some poisons

Scarecrow

Insider
Yeah, poison would definatly be nice to see in the game. It would have to exsist different poisons though. One that kinda numbs your body (The drunken thing), maybe partial paralysis, and the more typical lose health over time etc. Both poisons and antidotes could be made by using different herbs and ingredients you find, and some might be bought.

Mimel

Insider
Well, this world was said to be an open-world concept. There won't be a lot of rare or expensive items out there to find or buy. If there is poison in the world, which I believe there should, it should also be a rare thing. I don't want to be paranoid of poison in every combat or encounter. Then I would always be searching for that antidote to horde.

666jet

Insider
Well, this world was said to be an open-world concept. There won't be a lot of rare or expensive items out there to find or buy. If there is poison in the world, which I believe there should, it should also be a rare thing. I don't want to be paranoid of poison in every combat or encounter. Then I would always be searching for that antidote to horde.
well in real life there is poisons pretty much everywhere like for instance foxglove speeds your heart rate up and too much can kill you (which isn't that much).

If poison is in, I want it in right. As Mimel says, it should be very rare. I also want the effects to be specific like some have said. If I poison an arrow and manage to avoid the poisoned enemy for long enough, I want them to have a noticeable effect; the enemy may drop dead/unconscious; they may become paranoid or hallucinate causing them to retreat or seek help or even become aggressive to allies; the affected area of their body may become ineffective or spasm. If instead I poison food, I want varying times before an effect occurs. I want to be able to poison a hunter in the bar so that the next day, when he's hunting, he suddenly loses focus. He can't shoot straight anymore and ends up losing all his game. That way, I can sell my food for double the price. I wouldn't do this every day, however, it'd be a rare but effective mechanic. Unlike skyrim where every poison merely just lowers health slightly.

Mimel

Insider
well in real life there is poisons pretty much everywhere like for instance foxglove speeds your heart rate up and too much can kill you (which isn't that much).
Yes, I thought that too. However, how many of us would know how to find that in real life? Really. I know I'd have to look it up in a book, then go search for it. It's not going to be sold in every town. People in such worlds tend to worry more about their daily needs. There may be one or two things we'd all know are not safe to eat, but to search for these plants does not make for a fun time for me.

So, while it is possible. My point was that it should not be a major part of the game, as it is a time-consuming part. Perhaps for those interested in being a type of assassin or if a group was preparing for a siege, etc., then it would be plausible and logical to have it as a part of the game then. For everyday use, I'm not one, for it being easy to find.

Scarecrow

Insider
How about if u actually had to buy books to discover what different plants and ingredients can do? So you couldn't just use every plant you found to make poison, and you just magically knew every poisonous plant in the world. With different books (Or maybe get a tip from a survivalist) you will unlock new plants and stuff to use for poison.

I agree about the part that it should be a bit rare. Certain plants you needed for a poison (Or antidote) would only grow a small very specific place, which you had to find. It shouldn't be like a huge part of the game, but it would be pretty neat if they did this. And it's not like every creature in every area were poisonous, just some creature might have this ability.

Mimel

Insider
@Scarecrow

Yes, I agree. Why not? I can dream of a world where the books are rare too. Maybe have those monasteries or sage towers where there is a pile of 30 books or those very rare libraries in a larger town that has a few hundred books and scrolls. What a nice way to spend a day or years of exploring. A quest that takes weeks or months in-game, rather than a couple of in-game days, i.e. a hour or two in real-life.

So, now the topic is a bit skewed. I can see poison being a part of the world, definitely.

It'd be cool if poisons were mainly ineffective against non-humanoids, but animals would have different sets of poisons that would work on them. For example, you could use cat nip against a lion (though I doubt they'll be in the game) but it would be immune to other hallucinogenics.

Cooper Holt

Insider
I agree. It should be rare, should take time to kick in, and should be hard to make. I don't want to be scared of every goblin because he may have a "poisoned stick".

walltar

Insider
There must be some kind of poisoning ... but i hope it wont be poison for one hit.

I also thought about creatures having poisonous attacks and you have to keep fighting poisoned.
If you combine that with no insta hotkey antidote then it could be fun. And most animal poisons should beslow so you won't die in a few seconds.

Also i would fear of weapons dipped in sh*t .... you can get some fun diseases that way.

Zervostyrd

Insider
Poison yes... Dipping your arrows in Snake venom and watch your opponent suffer :)

I like the Idea of having books to find out which herbs do what and how their properties reach their full potential.

But still I mean nothing really stops you from just pick up a herb and use it as a poison.

Crush the plant and add a little of water so it sticks to an arrow and there you go a "poison" . But then you wouldn't know what it does and how you can make it to perform at it's best.

Zervostyrd

Insider
walltar said:
Also i would fear of weapons dipped in sh*t .... you can get some fun diseases that way.
Plumbers recive extra resistance here! :p

But seriously though weapons dipped in above named substance(s) are only usefull for longterm effect (if weapon don't kill diseas probably will) And weapons during middleages where probably never clean, the diseases you could recive just by being wounded by a somewhat rusty blade which have been on a march for days and been lying on the ground and so on. Even worse if it have blodstains on it.

walltar

Insider
Plumbers recive extra resistance here! :p

But seriously though weapons dipped in above named substance(s) are only usefull for longterm effect (if weapon don't kill diseas probably will) And weapons during middleages where probably never clean, the diseases you could recive just by being wounded by a somewhat rusty blade which have been on a march for days and been lying on the ground and so on. Even worse if it have blodstains on it.
Well enemies could use them against you ... you are going to be playing long term. And if you find ogre or goblin who can say where theirs weapons been?

And i thing that some weapons during middleages were clean. Peasants weapons were farming tools and you can't cut grain with rusty scythe (it would be prety dusty tho) and good sword was costy tool you have to take care of it. I think that generaly you dont wan't to spread diseases among potential prisoners (except for sieges)

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.