Buildings with roof occlusion.

Do you think it is a good idea to have static buildings in the world space?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Yes but only if it doesn't interfere with more important things.

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
I understand the decision for rendering most of your building interiors as cells, it cuts down on load times and such. And even can support NPC transitions, etc. And still maintain the games atmosphere. But wouldn't it be wondrous to have the options (especially in the future with mod support, or custom entities being imported, or created.) for outside interiors? With vanishing roofs? Games like Men of War, Ultima series, Diablo do this rather well. It's your choice of course, I just really enjoy static environments, especially if building destruction is supported. (Imagine a static living world where things could get destroyed by dangerous beasts and you could even steal things or explore areas with the outside world happening outside as well.

Understandably it makes sense for castles to be instanced as well as dungeons.

Fawz

Insider
I'm pretty sure that's already in the game, at least to some extent. They have the technology to allow for outdoor structures to have roofs that can fade away when you go under them. You can actually see that in the Kickstarter pitch video. Here's a link to the exact sequence where it occurs.

I do agree that I would like to see some enterable locations without instancing that are directly connected to the open world. I understand that livable houses, caves, dungeons, the underground and large estates such as castles would be handled as separate enterable instances. This is probably due to technical purposes and allows them to do a lot more with interiors.

I think it very feasible to have a nice variety of outside location that have a roof and that you can freely enter without resorting to instancing. Probably along the lines of small huts, run down homes, animal shelters, a blacksmith's workshop, ect...

Destructable terrain and building destruction will mooooost likely not be supported. Keep in mind it's like a team of 4-5 people with a very very limited budget.

Thanks for the link Fawz, yes I hope for simple locations to enter uninstanced, or explore, or fight in. Or even hide in.
As for destruction, I don't mean full, but perhaps stands getting knocked over, tables getting destroyed, would be a nice touch in combat.

Tessaya

Insider
Knocking everything over might already be a native consequence of the physics engine. We've already tasted it in the combat alpha by dislodging the torch from its hook on the wall. That would be a shame given this engine to make furnitures "glued" to the ground.

Knocking shit over, as we know, is in the game. I could see a table breaking if it endures more impact for sure...That'd be neat.

I would totally create an unarmed professional wrestling character suplexing people through shit :p

Zodd

Insider
I imagine knocking things over will feature pretty heavily in combat, both as a result of it and as a viable tactic...

Physics demo:
60 seconds (1:00)

Combat interacting with objects:
(Note the skeleton bumps the bucket handle as it steps back)
160 seconds (2:40)

(Skelly bumps into dresser which moves)
174 seconds (2:54)

Aaaand the best for last...
68 seconds (1:08)
Two points
- Impact of enemy into fruit stand knocking tables and fruit flying
- Enemy trips over wooden crate when trying to stand up.

As far as individual objects being destructible, I think I recall a dev comment indicating they were shying away from basic prefab/procedural destruction for objects but I may be completely wrong...

edit - bugger, cant link videos to seconds... added seconds and removed extra vids

Last edited:

Komuflage

Insider
I recall one of the dev saying something like "destructible environment font be featured, the odd wall however..." Can't find the exact quote, so take it with a grain of salt.

Fawz

Insider
I recall one of the dev saying something like "destructible environment font be featured, the odd wall however..." Can't find the exact quote, so take it with a grain of salt.
Here's the quote by Madoc on the potential inclusion of destruction in the game:

Natural disasters of any significant scale is not something that we've ever really considered. Collapsing whole buildings is not something we're aiming to do. The odd wall, sure. A whole building is another matter entirely.

The game world can undergo some pretty drastic changes as a result of what might happen in a playthrough, at least that's our intent.
And also:
Breaking stuff is definitely something we'd like to do, it's fun and adds realism. I have some ideas on how to break things that goes beyond just exploding them into pieces. We're unlikely to use a fully procedural system however so every object that can be broken would require more work. How many things you'll be able to break really depends, it's priority but not an essential feature.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.