City Scale and the Role of Buildings

Algea

Insider
Oh, when I dream about what I want (and I completely agree with you Mimel, I'd love to see highly populated settlements) I can't help thinking that I should restrain myself. I'd love too see many things discussed in these forums implemented, but I don't want to burden the devs or to set my expectations too high, so I usually just keep my thoughts to myself. I'm not sure why all those limitations in other RPGs exist, but they weigh me down. I guess I'm afraid to think big.:oops:

How do you people manage to want all these things and to not be let down if you don't see them in game?

Mimel

Insider
@ Algea

Well, if we don't let them know what we dream, they'll not know that's what we dream. :) I think that's what these forums are for, telling them that we too have these wild dreams of realism. They are not alone. That's why so many people supported them. So, a community with a living population that matches its size is not special in reality, but in implementation it is. A seasonal time for traders would be nice. And the season changes with communities, since the caravans probably travel to all of the cities and the festivals at each community coincides with the traders travels.

OH, and 'I manage to "not be let down" when I don't see them in game' by playing a tabletop/online tabletop game as much as I can. ;) Imagination and friends make up for the limitations of software.

Algea

Insider
@ Algea

Well, if we don't let them know what we dream, they'll not know that's what we dream. :) I think that's what these forums are for, telling them that we too have these wild dreams of realism. They are not alone. That's why so many people supported them. ...
OH, and 'I manage to "not be let down" when I don't see them in game' by playing a tabletop/online tabletop game as much as I can. ;) Imagination and friends make up for the limitations of software.
Your heart is strong while mine is weak.:D

I've never ever played any tabletop games. Ever. I've heard so much about them but I have no friends who would be interested in playing them and I didn't know that there were online tabletop games too. Anyway, I think I have very poor imagination so it'd be hard for me to participate in such activities. I can appreciate someone else's imagination but I can't for the life of me be innovative and propose something unusual.:(

Oh I'd love to see a BIG city! The towns and villages can be small enough but the capital should be huge! :p
Being able to walk around back alleys, exploring, fighting some thugs hanging around the dirtiest inn or brothel, or going up to the keep/castle and look down on the city spreading out below.

(If you've read A Song of ice and fire series (Game of Thrones), I'd like it to be as big as King's Landing.)

For me going in to all the houses isn't so important, just a few and some special buildings such as inns, stores manors (where you actually could find some valuables to nick :p), and castles.
As much as I love GoT, if it was as big as Kings Landing it would probably take up half the map.

Your heart is strong while mine is weak.:D

I've never ever played any tabletop games. Ever. I've heard so much about them but I have no friends who would be interested in playing them and I didn't know that there were online tabletop games too. Anyway, I think I have very poor imagination so it'd be hard for me to participate in such activities. I can appreciate someone else's imagination but I can't for the life of me be innovative and propose something unusual.:(
ADDRESS. NOW. WE GONNA GO ADVENTURIN'.

Omegoa

That's a very nice question!

I too would like to know the plans for this. Gut instinct says that cities, towns and villages/hamlets should have different building styles, perhaps purely on the basis of wealth. Situation with respect to resources (stone mines, forests) could influence this also. Perhaps different constituencies should have architectural trademarks too, depending on the world size. What's the official stance on this?
One of my worries regarding the game is that the settlements will wind up becoming boring due to the way the world-building tool works. We've all seen it in action: It essentially pastes in objects from a template. Not that this is bad in and of itself as it allows for the rapid generation of settlements, and I know that's definitely a huge plus for such a small team. It's just that we now run the danger of having that immersion-breaking "I've seen these exact buildings in the last three towns" moment. I guess the question I'm asking is whether or not settlements will have their own personalities or if the feel of each is going to be the same throughout the in-game universe.

One of my worries regarding the game is that the settlements will wind up becoming boring due to the way the world-building tool works. We've all seen it in action: It essentially pastes in objects from a template. Not that this is bad in and of itself as it allows for the rapid generation of settlements, and I know that's definitely a huge plus for such a small team. It's just that we now run the danger of having that immersion-breaking "I've seen these exact buildings in the last three towns" moment. I guess the question I'm asking is whether or not settlements will have their own personalities or if the feel of each is going to be the same throughout the in-game universe.
They already said they have tons of buildings prepared, and you will only see a few of the same buildings once or twice in a different place.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.