Coffee Diary - 29/8/22

Zetheros

Developer
Hey Exanimates,

We made a bunch more progress on force thaumaturgy this week, specifically on visual effects for powers that involve shields, barriers and enveloping things. These aren't inherently as complex compared to what we wanted to achieve for powers like force blast, but as always there's a huge difference between just doing something and doing it well, and also maintaining good performance.

Without resorting to prohibitively expensive methods, it's hard to get away from the texture-slapped-on-polygons look. Using a combination of 2D and 3D effects presents a lot of challenges in terms of animation, interaction with objects, seams in transitioning from 2D to 3D and generally maintaining an illusion of depth. We also want a consistent, detailed, organic look to the effects, not something overly plain or just messy and blurry. We found some really nice solutions to most of these problems, and we've generally gotten through the bulk of the effect work, but there's still some things we're experimenting with and haven't settled on.

Developing these effects is the most challenging part of force thaumaturgy, and we should be mostly done with it soon. However there is still plenty to do in terms of adapting them to all the individual powers, building their specific mechanics and also some general thaumaturgy mechanics with the introduction of multiple domains and generally more depth to the system.

Something else we got started on this week is some improvements to the pathfinding system. There's a few important goals here as well as some general upgrades and fixes. One goal is to improve how AI navigate around hazards, particularly in avoiding steep falls, but even being able to take advantage of things like makeshift bridges, or willingly crossing smaller drops if necessary. The most important change however is much better handling of multiple levels of depth, which is something that will be important in the upcoming new area.

That's all for now, we'll be back with more in a week as always.

Have a great week!
-the BM team

Ohhh better handling of terrain sounds great, hopefully I won't fall on my ass so much in the arena with the sloped edges. Maybe we Wil lsee an area with a proper set of stairs and multiple levels we can navagate!

Exanime

For each update I will burn a Russian politician attached to a pole and give poop soaked paper-cuts to Chinese nationalists.
For each new Coffee Diary post updating the stupid fucking twisty ballerina dance thing that my character likes to do when I try to level the camera and mouse so that I can face front after a hard swing with the cursor(YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT). I will kink shame an azov fighter, choke him to near-death in a vacuum sealing bag, resuscitate him, wait for a full recovery in a jail cell, and do it again, but ask him each time he's revived if my non-white Latina girlfriend is perfect enough for him.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.