Comments on Kickstarter update #19

I'm very happy with what I've seen in this update. What you have described is called "Pellet gaming" where you get "rewards" regularely for menial repetetive tasks like a rat getting through a maze and recieving its pellet. A great example of that is World of Warcraft. Where you grind until you get your "ding" and that makes you remotely happy for a few minutes and then it's grinding again.

When I bid on your kickstarter campaign, I had a feeling that you were approching this differently and i'm glad to see my feeling was right.

You've got all my support in what you are trying to achieve. Take your time and get us a magnificent game. Thanks for your work.

BTW, your screenshots look awesome...

Aaron McLeod

Supporter
I also want to comment on this. The start of the update talked about how they received criticism on lack of story. It's true and fair, but it wasnt something that bothered me. I was really impressed with what the video showed, and I wanted to back the project as i could see something that awesome having potential. With the hard road you guys have ahead, i am only more excited. The post of the few images was nice to see as well. Game looks beautiful :)

I also want to comment on this. The start of the update talked about how they received criticism on lack of story. It's true and fair, but it wasnt something that bothered me. I was really impressed with what the video showed, and I wanted to back the project as i could see something that awesome having potential. With the hard road you guys have ahead, i am only more excited. The post of the few images was nice to see as well. Game looks beautiful :)

I completely agree with you. The video showed huge potential and convinced me to bid on this project :) And this update just added to my expectations for the game.

diredyre

Supporter
Fantastic update, although I'm not entirely sure what parts of it mean.

The example with the lord's daughter sounds nice, but what exactly are the mechanics of the different solutions or are there even any? The thing with stealing the weapons for instance, I feel that can only work either if 1) stealing weapons is a specific mechanic in the game with more or less predetermined consequences or 2) the game acts so realistically that we are encouraged to just act as we would in this world and come up with outside the box solutions.

If it's the former, then that's not really different from "regular" RPGs such as Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age etc. where you often have several ways to resolve a quest. If it's the latter, then that's quite frankly revolutionary. You could play out situations that the developers could not possibly foresee yet the gameworld remains consistent, probably the ultimate dream of any RPG developer. The hyped optimist in me wants it to be the latter, but that would require a measure of AI and models of reality that simply don't exist yet and I don't think it's realistic to expect a rather small company to accomplish where so many others have failed. I guess the result will probably be closer to a "regular" RPG but some more options, which is fine I suppose.

The screenshots were quite impressive, the coastline screenshot looked almost photorealistic and especially the water is outstanding. I do hope that the game is not just graphically outstanding but develops a distinct aesthetic look as well. No graphics will help if the game looks too "generic" (no pun intended), you need to be able to tell that it's Sui Generis just by looking at a screenshot. The difference is subtle and I don't really have any useful tip for how to get there as I'm not an artist, but I know it when I see it and it's not quite there yet.

All in all, great progress, keep it up!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.