Congratulations BM (GOG release)

Array

Pity some trolls seem to have bought the game just to slate and give it a 1 star review. On the other hand loyal fans seem to have bought it again to give it 5 stars. I also bought a second copy but because I gifted it to my brother I don't think i'm eligible to write a review

Agnes

Developer
Pity some trolls seem to have bought the game just to slate and give it a 1 star review. On the other hand loyal fans seem to have bought it again to give it 5 stars. I also bought a second copy but because I gifted it to my brother I don't think i'm eligible to write a review
It seems that on GOG you do not need you to buy the game to leave a review. Indeed none of the one star reviewers had ever played the game but still had something to say. It's just how the net works.. :)

ChavaiotH

Maybe they bought it on BM page like me. I also have it on steam, but prefer to play the drm free version. Played many hours, but my review on steam says 0.2 hours) ))

Wizard

I saw the GOG version is DRM free, without a steamkey... if I would want a steamkey would I be able to get it with the GOG version of the game?

Bearhug67

Congratulations to BM for the GOG release!!! :)
Basically, the space cats information is right even the details are a little confusing.
The drm free version from the BM page is as far as I know the direct download available from the BM site plus the Steam key but has nothing to do with the GOG release.
I think our Wing Commander wizard was curious to know if a BM site purchase would include a GOG key as well? But I am just guessing here of course what he meant.

Agnes

Developer
Maybe they bought it on BM page like me. I also have it on steam, but prefer to play the drm free version. Played many hours, but my review on steam says 0.2 hours) ))
:)

Even if you bought it on the website and you have 0.1 hours on record still mean that you at least got over the menuscreen...
However I base my opinion on the fact that one says, hey just check out this negative review on steam and copy paste it in the review, then calls exanima a "apparently a rip-off" giving it one star, having no idea what the game is, and the other one complaining about the positive reviews, with the accusation that they are written by the devs...
I do assure you it is not the case.
When we asked we where told that you do not need to buy the game on GOG to leave a review at all.
So I'm fairly positive that they did not buy the game on the website at this point.
Eiither way, as I see it, a review has to tell something about the game considering the player's own experience. It can be negative, I have no problem with that.

Wizard

I think our Wing Commander wizard was curious to know if a BM site purchase would include a GOG key as well? But I am just guessing here of course what he meant.
No, I was indeed wondering if the GOG version would come with a steamkey. I understand from ChavaiotH's post that this is not the case. I guess I will buy directly through the BM page then, I do like DRM free, but also am very happy to have all my games together in one library. :)

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. I am very curious about this game!

Fawz

Insider
Congratulations on the GOG release!

It's really nice that the is featured in the main page banner, on the official GOG twitter account, got a website news post and got a video upload on the GOG youtube account. Hopefully that all translates to some good publicity and drivers interest/sales for the game :D

Fawz

Insider
I dont suppose there is any chance of a GOG key for any backer who has not yet claimed a Steam key?
On the GOG forums Madoc mentioned that they were looking into whether or not that was a possibility, and if so they would give GOG keys to backers who wanted them.

ChavaiotH

Personally I prefer GOG. Steam is to overloaded for me. Yeah many sales for BM.

:)

Even if you bought it on the website and you have 0.1 hours on record still mean that you at least got over the menuscreen...
However I base my opinion on the fact that one says, hey just check out this negative review on steam and copy paste it in the review, than calls exanima a "apparently a rip-off" giving it one star, having no idea what the game is, and the other one complaining about the positive reviews, with the accusation that they are written by the devs...
I do assure you it is not the case...
When we asked we where told that you do not need to buy the game on GOG to leave a review at all...
So I'm fairly positive that they did not buy the game on the website at this point.
Eiither way, as I see, a review has to tell something about the game considering the player's own experience. It can be negative, I have no problem with that.
You absolutely right. To write a review, first you have to play the game and understand it. All reviews are subjective minds of single persons. Always have you own mind.
The review system on GOG is stupid. Maybe they should add a tag for the reviewer like "own this game, played % hours", so the gamers can see, what the reviewer is talking about.
I also have no problems with negative reviews, because most of them are about this little helpful things that new generation of gamers cant understand. But this is my subjective mind. :)

Last edited:

Wizard

The review system on GOG is stupid. Maybe they should add a tag for the reviewer like "own this game, played % hours", so the gamers can see, what the reviewer is talking about.
They can't (or won't?) do such a thing. GOG prides itself for its DRM-free downloads:

Good Old Games said:
DRM or Digital Rights Management is a kind of copy protection technology used by many companies to limit the usage of digital media. Although designed to stop pirates from creating illegal copies, in reality the only people who are hurt are the legitimate consumers, stripped of their fair use rights, such as the ability to make backup copies.We believe that a DRM-free world would be a better place and that's why you won't find any DRMs or other intrusive copy protection in items available at GOG.com. This applies to both games and movies.
In other words games from GOG are suposed to not 'spy' on you, and that is why (most) of the games on there can't tell the servers whether or not you've played X number of hours. And that in turn, is why they didn't implement the: "numbers of hours played"-feature on there.

GOG could inform the reader of the reviews whether or not someone owns the game. But this is probaby why they didn't implement THAT feature: many of the games on GOG are from way back, people might own a game (they bought it in 1985 for instance) and not have purchased it through GOG. They are allowed - and this can even be helpful - to 'rate' a game so you know if you should or should not buy this title.

In the end: remember all reviews are subjective: I like games that other people hate and vice versa. We all have our reasons. Best thing is to read what a lot of people are saying, including some professional reviewers and look in the description of the game if it is to your liking. And then just take the plunge...scary isn't it?

ChavaiotH

They can't (or won't?) do such a thing. GOG prides itself for its DRM-free downloads:

In other words games from GOG are suposed to not 'spy' on you, and that is why (most) of the games on there can't tell the servers whether or not you've played X number of hours. And that in turn, is why they didn't implement the: "numbers of hours played"-feature on there.

GOG could inform the reader of the reviews whether or not someone owns the game. But this is probaby why they didn't implement THAT feature: many of the games on GOG are from way back, people might own a game (they bought it in 1985 for instance) and not have purchased it through GOG. They are allowed - and this can even be helpful - to 'rate' a game so you know if you should or should not buy this title.

In the end: remember all reviews are subjective: I like games that other people hate and vice versa. We all have our reasons. Best thing is to read what a lot of people are saying, including some professional reviewers and look in the description of the game if it is to your liking. And then just take the plunge...scary isn't it?
Start GOG Galaxy and it will show how long you play and you can get achievements if the game have them. Of course you don't to have to do it, but its possible.

Wizard

Start GOG Galaxy and it will show how long you play and you can get achievements if the game have them. Of course you don't to have to do it, but its possible.
My point exaxtly, they could do it, but it seems not in the spirit of their company and that is why they don't.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.