Crafting

Tony

Insider
Also if the drop rate is 100%, does that mean you'd be able to put that massive morning star, that the ogre in the combat video has, in your inventory
Well, they've said that if you have a physically larger character that you will be physically stronger, but even so I doubt you'll have enough strength to wield such a weapon. At best I'd think you might be able to drag it around on the ground (which would be rather amusing to watch!). And when I said that the drop rate will be 100%, I didn't mean that characters would drop absolutely everything they have equipped (all armor, weapons, etc.). I just meant that there will be no chance of them dropping something that is not currently in their possession. They will only drop whatever items they are currently carrying (but only ones the devs choose - whether this will include 100% of everything they have on or only practical, player usable items is unknown).

Also note, this is only my estimation on how they're going to do things based upon what they've told us (they are going for realism and attempting to avoid mechanics which break immersion).

Currently we don't have real plans for player crafting beyond perhaps some consumable items. Indeed to include player crafting it would have to be realistic and this may require significant effort and perhaps even a large deviation from the current direction of the game. On the other hand having professional craftsmen within the world produce objects based on player design is something we have explored in much detail.​
Madoc​
Here is a perfect example of something that needs to be mentioned as a stretch goal. The professional craftsman option could be part A of the goal while limited (or extensive if you raised the funds to dedicate a significant percentage of an additional programmer's time to it) player crafting could be step B.

I love the vision and direction of the game. The only thing I will have a problem with is finding the patience to wait for the finished product!

Well, they've said that if you have a physically larger character that you will be physically stronger, but even so I doubt you'll have enough strength to wield such a weapon. At best I'd think you might be able to drag it around on the ground (which would be rather amusing to watch!).
This is when the player fetches a wheel barrow or cart to take the morning star back to the forge for raw materials, as proof the ogre-troll-thing was vanquished (though his head would work too), to a magic user to enchant, shrink down, and make lighter, etc. :)

Kaizer0002

Insider
Anybody remember when Conan spent 30 minutes collecting flowers before mixing the potion he needed to defeat Thulsa Doom? Neither do I, because collecting crafting materials is boring. I'm not a huge fan of spending time clicking resource nodes to clog up and manage before depositing in a house/bank/stash in the hopes of sorting through it later. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm not a huge fan of repeatative behavior.

The most innovative crafting system I've actually seen lately was the blacksmithing in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Weapons/armor were made up components that could be salvaged from weapons and armor you were going to be looting anyway. Making an item required two core components and leveling it up let you use additional optional ones (link). It let you make customized items that were better than what you could find in the game world. The only other game I've played recently with an actual engaging crafting system is the flash game Jacksmith where you have to actually pour the mold for a blade, pound out to sharpen it, and properly align a hilt which each contributes to a stat about the item (damage, durability, etc)

Tony Dye

Insider
Crafting that takes time is intended to do exactly that - consume your time. I've seen some innovative systems out there (and designed one as well) that take different approaches but currently nothing like this is planned.

The only other game I've played recently with an actual engaging crafting system is the flash game Jacksmith where you have to actually pour the mold for a blade, pound out to sharpen it, and properly align a hilt which each contributes to a stat about the item (damage, durability, etc)
That Jacksmith minigame is pretty cool. I could dig something like that in an RPG.

Most crafting system are so formal that players now expect it. That being said, this game will be ground breaking in many respects.

How about a crafting system that is not fixed - there would be no "perfect formula". This would eliminate mass distribution of the top 10 crafting recipes. Unfortunately, this could detract from online community because sharing this kind of information is a staple of that.

Also, that system could be very difficult to implement well. But I think it is worth a shot.

BrecMadak

Insider
Whatever system it would ever be, should be 'very' well thought out till the very end of its bit to be successful and balanced.
If ever a very deep, detailed yet functional (almost all counts) mechanic is planned, one would easily lose the track of time positively. Therefore it's very fundamental element in terms of designing the game. And never should be underestimated by any means.

Bryn

Insider
Considering the physics engine and items with mass, you can't just put tons of ore in a backpack.
So you should be required to fill a wheelbarrow with ore and move it to a smelter. :>

Komuflage

Insider
Considering the physics engine and items with mass, you can't just put tons of ore in a backpack.
So you should be required to fill a wheelbarrow with ore and move it to a smelter. :>
A little bit of-topic but I would just love if they made that possible, being able to put things on a wheelbarrow and move them around or hang some items of my horse. Use a spade to dig a hole and an axe to cut down a tree. :p Just hope they got the money and time to do something like that.

AlphaChris

Insider
I personally feel that crafting should be possible through a town blacksmith or the like, no player crafting (at least in terms of weapons/armor crafting). It would just be implausible for the player character to be able to craft such without a back story that involved training in blacksmithing/weaponsmithing. Maybe this could be a choice at the beginning of the game but that doesn't seem likely from what I understand.

If crafting is implemented I would just like to see it be like this:
Tell a blacksmith you want a specific piece of equipment.
Blacksmith tells you he will need such and such materials, It will take x amount of time, and x amount of money based on x amount of time.
You return with agreed upon materials and money, then must wait specified amount of time to claim said piece of equipment.

This is just my personal opinion on the matter and I know I'm a little late on this thread, my apologies.

Reactions: nox

Mimel

Insider
Why not do as Madoc says. Yes, we could try to craft something, but the odds are against us. Paying an NPC to do our design, is more interaction and probably more realistic. IF I want to do some crafting on my own, then I ask this same NPC to teach me. That is, I work for him for a period of real time. Perhaps, adventuring during the nights, or interacting with many of the customers, the craftsmen, his family, at the pub with the other craftsmen, etc. ALL of this could be possible choices to further adventures. Am I hoping for too much story? Too much immersion and openness like a tabletop? Probably.

For me I backed SG for the philosophy the team had, that's why I'm pushing the limits.

calithlin

Insider
I don't think there's going to be any learning from in world smiths etc. Crafting's probably going to stick to the craftsmen. I think they're going with the realism that, the only people able to craft as well as we would want are the people who have done it all their lives (dedicated smiths).
I think in the end it allows for more NPC interaction this way, developing a rapport with a certain 'master smithy' over time for crafting rare items based on your specifications. That's something that not only satisfies the desire to have custom(ish) items for the player, but also means they don't have to develop a whole system of metallurgy/woodworking etc to make it as realistic as deserved, taking time away from other parts of development.

Mimel

Insider
Calithlin,

You're right it would perhaps be easier to make the system. Plus, developing a rapport with different NPCs that could be used for the crafting of items, or for other interactions, such as rumors, information and even hiding/helping us in bad times, seems a good option.

I am Cuda

Honestly, if a crafting system was put into this game, for example where you actually had to collect materials and smelt them together, then forge them like people used to to during the middle ages, I don't think I would be able to stop throwing money at my pc screen untill this game came out.

Cooper Holt

Insider
I know that they won't be adding a minecraft-style crafting system, and I know that the one they will (:mad:)add will be pretty basic, but at least there will be one.
Even if it's as simple as forging a weapon with purchased materials, or shearing a pelt,
I can't go without a crafting system. :)

I can go without a crafting system...Do you actually have FUN combining items in an option screen? I don't have anything against crafting mind you but I could care less if it's in this game really. Seeing as how the main focus of this game will entertain me thoroughly enough.

I am Cuda

I also just want to say that if a crafting system was put into this game that I hope it would not be like a Minecraft style crafting system, but more of a realistic crafting mechanic, whereas you character picks up the materials in his/her hand and actually has to craft them.

Picture the game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

My ideal crafting system would be something like in the video, but more realistic.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.