Dark Souls II Input lag (PS3)

Komuflage

Insider
Since there is a lot of Souls fan here and the community is great, I thought I would ask here, rather than some other place.

Anyway, Dark Souls 2 was just released a few days ago here (EU) but I'm having a real hard time enjoying in due to one specific reason...
I'm playing the PS3 version and I fell like there is A lot of input lag, when I for instance press Circle (Dodge) I can completely let go of the button and stretch my thumb up before the character dodge in the game, I've even filmed it just to see whatever It was just me or the game.
This makes the game much harder than it actually is, since dodging some fast attacks gets very difficult. You can ofc learn to play with the lag in mind, but it's just not as immersive when the controllers don't fell tight.

The purpose of this thread is to just ask you guys if you suffer from the same problem?
Is it like this on the Xbox?
Do other people have this problem on the PS3? Is it my PS3 that's the problem?
Also, was it like this in Dark souls 1? (I've played on the PC since it was released there, so I don't remember if there was any lag on the console version)
Edit: My theory is that the input lag is caused by low frames, since the problem is much worse in Low FPS areas, and that would also explain why I don't fell like there's any lag on the PC version.

Scarecrow

Insider
Randomly, i have some input lag when talking with npc's, but i don't seem to have that problem when doing anything else. The input lag i sometimes get when talking to npc's isn't that bad either. Are you sure it's not because your adaptability lvl is low? Adaptability determines (amongst other things) how fast you roll.

Fawz

Insider
I didn't bother playing much of DS2, I was really disappointed with how it handles on last gen consoles (x360 & PS3). The game doesn't look like the promotional footage that was shown (it probably was PC) and the framerate doesn't feel tight enough for how punishing the combat system is.

Game still looks like it has a lot of fantastic moments and features to offer, but I'm just going to wait for the PC release to get a truly enjoyable experience.

If you're having input lag issues I would recommend trying to play with a wired controller instead of a wireless one, use shorter wires where possible and make sure your TV is under the right game settings if it has the option. Most of the latency issues for input delay has to do with the type of monitor you're using. Here's a nice list of TVs and their latency rating for reference.

Komuflage

Insider
Are you sure it's not because your adaptability lvl is low? Adaptability determines (amongst other things) how fast you roll.
Maybe? It's not that the roll speed is slow, it's that if I press O it takes approximately 200-300ms before my character carries out the action. My brother tried the game on his PS3 and his TV, I did not tell him about this problem beforehand, but he have said he experienced it as well.

If you're having input lag issues I would recommend trying to play with a wired controller instead of a wireless one, use shorter wires where possible and make sure your TV is under the right game settings if it has the option. Most of the latency issues for input delay has to do with the type of monitor you're using.
I've tried with a Wire, and like mentioned before on two different PS3/Monitor set ups.

I've also read some online and noticed there's quite a lot of people experiencing the same thing. It really bums me down as this is one of my most anticipated title this year, and I can't really enjoy it as it's right now :(

I'll upload a video in some better quality tomorrow, think it's easier to understand the problem if you can see it as well.

Brendan

Developer
Maybe? It's not that the roll speed is slow, it's that if I press O it takes approximately 200-300ms before my character carries out the action. My brother tried the game on his PS3 and his TV, I did not tell him about this problem beforehand, but he have said he experienced it as well.

I've tried with a Wire, and like mentioned before on two different PS3/Monitor set ups.

I've also read some online and noticed there's quite a lot of people experiencing the same thing. It really bums me down as this is one of my most anticipated title this year, and I can't really enjoy it as it's right now :(

I'll upload a video in some better quality tomorrow, think it's easier to understand the problem if you can see it as well.
It is still worth playing with the TV settings (assuming you're not using PC monitors) if you haven't already, i.e. turning off everything you can like smooth motion, sharpening, contrast enhancements etc. I use a TV as my monitor and the input lag is very noticeable unless I turn all that off (in my case it's a set of features with stupid names like 'super resolution' and 'perfect contrast' under 'Pixel Perfect HD').

Komuflage

Insider
It is still worth playing with the TV settings (assuming you're not using PC monitors) if you haven't already, i.e. turning off everything you can like smooth motion, sharpening, contrast enhancements etc. I use a TV as my monitor and the input lag is very noticeable unless I turn all that off (in my case it's a set of features with stupid names like 'super resolution' and 'perfect contrast' under 'Pixel Perfect HD').
Hmm ok ty for the tip, I'll try to see if there is any settings like that.
The weird thing though is that I don't recall Demon's and Dark souls to have this amount of input lag that I'm experiencing with Dark2. But then again I've played on the PC for the last 1year, so I might remember it wrong.

I'll try some Dark souls 1 later tonight in order to see if I experience the same problem there.

Fawz

Insider
Hmm ok ty for the tip, I'll try to see if there is any settings like that.
The weird thing though is that I don't recall Demon's and Dark souls to have this amount of input lag that I'm experiencing with Dark2. But then again I've played on the PC for the last 1year, so I might remember it wrong.

I'll try some Dark souls 1 later tonight in order to see if I experience the same problem there.
I asked a couple of my friends who played on PS3 and all of them said the same thing: The game isn't very playable due to frame rate issues and input delay. It's mostly noticeable when the framerate drops or during online play. There might be ways to improve the input delay issue, but unless a patch is released I wouldn't expect much better results on the Consoles.

Komuflage

Insider
Ok so it's the PS3 then, that's to bad as I've got 2 copies of the ps3 version :p Nonetheless I guess I'll just have to wait another month for the PC version. To bad really :rolleyes:

Scarecrow

Insider
It's strange though, for me it's perfectly fine really. I can fight and play the game fluidly, like the other souls games. I don't understand how there can be so many that experience this, while im not.

BeLLo

Insider
I'm having no problems at all, either. Only sometimes when I press the "Start" button, first times it may take up to 1 second or a little more to show the options, but everything else no prob....

Fawz

Insider
My friends who were playing on PS3 told me the latest patch (which came out last week I think?) fixed most of the input lag issues.

Komuflage

Insider
I tried the new patch on one of the setups we have here, still the same issue :( Not to long for the PC version anyways. And I got my JCE to look at in the meantime :D

Scarecrow

Insider
Have you tried using a different PS3 controller? Even if it doesn't have that problem with other games, it wouldn't hurt to try

BeLLo

Insider
Is not a problem of the game, that's for sure.

You can try with another controller, as Scarecrow says, and/or installing the game again. Try playing offline, too.

Down8

Insider
No input lag here in PS3.

The game is fucking great. Can't wait to make my second playthrough on PC.

Komuflage

Insider
1 month to late but still :rolleyes:

Wireless controller, JE. Setup 1

Wired controller, EE, All tv setting turned off. Setup 2.

Both consoles are in Offline mode, and with the latest Patch.
This is also in a 30fps area, once in a 15fps area, it's completely unplayable.

Komuflage

Insider
I don't know what to say man, it's VERY strange......
Luckily the PC version is released and I've no trouble at all on that version, funny enough though is that a friend of mine who got the pc version experience the same input delay as I do on console, really weird, wonder what causes it.

Fawz

Insider
Luckily the PC version is released and I've no trouble at all on that version, funny enough though is that a friend of mine who got the pc version experience the same input delay as I do on console, really weird, wonder what causes it.
If he's still getting the issue on PC it pretty much could only be his display (TV) or input device (controller). Been playing quite a bit on PC and haven't really had any input delay issues nor have any of my friends. The animations are very rigid, and you can't really input another command until the first one is done but that's by design so it might be that he's misinterpreting the restrictions for input delay?

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.