Day night cycle?

Jackm108

As the title says, has a day night cycle been discussed? If it is going to be included, what about mechanics like torches and lanterns running out of fuel etc?

*EDIT* as Exanima takes place in the underworld I don't expect a day night cycle there, this question is about SG

Vold

Insider
That's pretty much all the info there is on the forums.
SG will have a day/night cycle which will be meaningful as everything else in the game. I think that NPCs behaviour and events will be affected by it. About, torches running out of fuel or whatever I have no idea.

Hope they'll not be consumable (edit: I mean - torches and/or lamps). If there will be at least half-darked nights as in dungeons then torches running out and you're dead or simply stuck up till the morning will come.

Last edited:
I think I can say with some certainty that torches will not run out. The dev's stance on armour durability and hunger/thirst/sleep systems essentially mirrors to this. They don't want to waste the players time by making them stop adventuring (the main focus of the game) by forcing them to go back to town because they were hungry or tired or their armour is about to turn to dust. Having to return because you can't see anything because your torch ran out seems pretty much identical to me.

Nynuc

Insider
I think I can say with some certainty that torches will not run out. The dev's stance on armour durability and hunger/thirst/sleep systems essentially mirrors to this. They don't want to waste the players time by making them stop adventuring (the main focus of the game) by forcing them to go back to town because they were hungry or tired or their armour is about to turn to dust. Having to return because you can't see anything because your torch ran out seems pretty much identical to me.
Although I wouldn't mind a hardcore mode within a hardcore game.

Z0mbieHD

Although I wouldn't mind a hardcore mode within a hardcore game.
That would be amazing, just to make the game more challenging and fun, like nothing on screen to tell you the amount of damage taken or how much stamina you have left ect, a mode like that would be great.

A hardcore mode (as fluffydino2000 describes) would be alright as long as it stayed that way, as a mode. More often than not, things like that just turn into tedium without really adding to immersion. It ends up being, "well I better buy 15 torches instead of the one" and then get to have fun juggling them in my inventory. Unless it's the focus of the game like Neo Scavenger or Project Zomboid it's usually best left out or at least optional in my opinion. Extra trips to the store aren't really usually very fun.

Frostfall for Skyrim did it pretty well and shows how survival mechanism could show up without being a constant drag. If it's cold outside, you're not properly equipped, and you're not near a fire bad things tend to happen. Slowly stacking nonlethal damage could build over time in such instances. Perhaps areas of intense heat can have their (similar) effects mitigated for a time by using a water item, stripping armor off, or hiding under shade for a bit. Little touches like that add excitement instead of accounting and can be immersive ways of adding variety to areas besides just looks. It also makes them a cost/benefit analysis instead of an accounting chore in which you don't really get to decide anything. How much armor do you sacrifice for weather specific gear? How much will you have to compensate with water or other temporary mitigation item? You might argue this becomes the same as "should I carry more torches" or food or whatever, but I disagree. Equipment and special instances are always much more fun than carrying stacks of consumables all the time.

Bah, anyway, in the end I prefer whatever is the most inclusive. Having an optional hardcore mode is the best, but second best would be none.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.