Exanima 0.5.3 Released

Madoc

Project Lead
EXANIMA QUALITY OF LIFE

Exanima takes a radically new approach to many things. Not only are we attempting these things for the first time, but they certainly are not easy to do. Inevitably the results are often not as good as they could be. We're always learning from our mistakes, listening to feedback and striving to improve everything. It's an ongoing process and we know that in time we can make the game really shine.

In this patch we've tried to address players' biggest concerns. We've made important changes to our animation system and combat, introducing features to dynamically change muscle tension and improving procedural elements. We've rebuilt most of our combat animations and improved the modelling of weapon mass. We've made characters negotiate and climb obstacles much better and get snagged on things less. Many other improvements and fixes have been made and this all contributes to an altogether better and smoother core experience.

ADVANCEMENT SYSTEM

You can approach the game in many ways and almost all the content is optional. Whatever you choose to do must be viable, you can fight or befriend who you encounter, explore, look for hidden treasure or piece together mysteries. We designed an advancement system that isn't based on just killing and major goals but rather rewards you for every little thing you do. Every new thing you discover, use, experience and accomplish awards small amounts of experience. Combat also yields experience based on the skill and equipment of your opponent.

Everything that grants experience is not repeatable so with each character what is gained is based on how much of the content they experience and how fully. A portion of the experience you gain is awarded as permanent global experience which gives you a nice starting point for new characters.

Experience earned is gradually absorbed by your character as actual learning towards whatever they are training. This feels more natural and realistic and prevents exploits.

INTRODUCING THE SKILL SYSTEM

Although experience will serve other purposes in future, it currently supports the training of skills.

We are working towards a total of 7 skills. Each skill has 8 techniques to choose from and 5 possible proficiency levels. You begin as Inept and reach levels of Aspirant, Novice, Adept, Expert and Master as you complete the training of each technique. The total number of techniques per character will also be limited to 15 or little more out of the total of 56 techniques.

This update features only the most fundamental close combat techniques that represent basic combat training. Upcoming skills feature more dramatic changes to gameplay and mechanics. Like everything else, skills affect players and NPCs alike so they also work to differentiate your opponents and promote more diverse tactics.

You must choose to train a skill technique to make progress, once training is complete a + icon will appear in the bottom right indicating that you should choose a new technique to train. If you are not training you will gradually forget experience that you've accumulated. Currently in arena mode you are automatically granted all techniques but this will change with an overhaul of the arena and its own advancement system.

NEW PUZZLES AND CONTENT

We've been promising greater environment interaction and this update introduces pits, fire traps, levers, pressure plates, portcullises, buttons and puzzles. We've gone beyond the typical lever puzzles and added some Exanima uniqueness, and of course there's the important element of physics. There are many new features that open up a lot of possibilities that we've only just begun to explore.

When we first made the current content for Exanima we couldn't do it as per our design due to a lack of features and assets. Now we have what we need and we're revisiting our content accordingly. The first map is now as we originally intended, with new and improved lore relevant locations and spanning almost twice the area as previously. Our map designs are not linear so be sure to explore thoroughly and try different routes on different playthroughs. There are various new items and objects, including a container that you can carry to improve your inventory management.

WHAT'S NEXT?

This update introduces some important new features, improvements, many fixes and tweaks, but our efforts have been focused on even more important things for the future of the game. Our highest priority has been the content beyond the portal which has been largely redesigned to provide a more unique and special experience. Some post portal content will be in the spotlight of our next bigger update but there are many things we're working towards. The next update should be with you before too long but we may also release some smaller but significant updates in between.

Best,

Bare Mettle

Account page link.

Iscandar

So far all the two handed weapons feel a lot better to use. Axes and hammers are a lot of fun and feel just right. I dislike the one handed weapon changes however, as I feel that it's actually harder to hit with them now. I'm unsure if that was intentional.

NachoDawg

So far all the two handed weapons feel a lot better to use. Axes and hammers are a lot of fun and feel just right. I dislike the one handed weapon changes however, as I feel that it's actually harder to hit with them now. I'm unsure if that was intentional.
It seems like distancing is a lot more important now. If you use a 1h sword, you can cut through the enemy on the first strike if you get it right, then do the second chained attack immidiatly

Holy.Death

Insider
How "Remise" is supposed to work? It says "Immediately follow a swing with another in the opposite direction", but when I want to do that double swing (from right to left) my character don't do that. Is that so, because skill is at low level (1 - Inept, I guess)? Or is this a bug? Or am I missing something obvious?

NachoDawg

How "Remise" is supposed to work? It says "Immediately follow a swing with another in the opposite direction", but when I want to do that double swing (from right to left) my character don't do that. Is that so, because skill is at low level (1 - Inept, I guess)? Or is this a bug? Or am I missing something obvious?

I would bet you haven't unlocked the skill yet. (K to open skill menu and see XP) When you select a skill, you are only selecting what you're trying to level. Once you get enough XP you unlock the skill you selected earlier, and you get to select a new one.

It's like, instead of earning XP to buy skills with after "leveling up", you select a skill to buy and then earn the XP for it to unlock.

Holy.Death

Insider
So I have to level it up to full bar at level 1 after selecting it to be able to use it at all? That's quite clever... But can I level up multiple skills within the same tree? For example, selecting Remise and Riposte? And are there more skills than Close Combat that'll "open up" with leveling up, or will they be added later?

NachoDawg

So I have to level it up to full bar at level 1 after selecting it to be able to use it at all? That's quite clever... But can I level up multiple skills within the same tree? For example, selecting Remise and Riposte? And are there more skills than Close Combat that'll "open up" with leveling up, or will they be added later?

You only level up one thing at a time by selecting it and gaining XP until 1 bar is filled up. You'll see a little "pluss" icon in the bottom right corner when you are done and can select a new skill to train.

I think the idea when this is finished is that you only get to skill a few skills in each tree, making sure that every "melee" character for example is different from one another

The other skill tabs will be filled later.

Holy.Death

Insider
I played some more and finished leveling up my first skill (technique?). Are the levels (Inept, Aspirant, Novice, Expert, Master) not included yet, or they are there and subtly affect your abilities in combat as you level up certain techniques? If they are in and are working as intended, shouldn't they be made more visible on technique's progress bar (like separating progress bar into 5 parts)? The skill system itself seems to be very opaque, although I do like where it's heading in terms of differentiating combat style of each player.

NachoDawg

I only know what's written in Madoc's OP

We are working towards a total of 7 skills. Each skill has 8 techniques to choose from and 5 possible proficiency levels. You begin as Inept and reach levels of Aspirant, Novice, Adept, Expert and Master as you complete the training of each technique. The total number of techniques per character will also be limited to 15 or little more out of the total of 56 techniques.

Buggeroo

Insider
I am thinking the proficiency levels correspond to the number of techniques you know for a given skill, so if you have learned two melee techniques, you are a novice melee fighter..

burgzaza

Insider
I think I explored the full enchanced level 1 ^^
I really liked the new areas ! the traps/puzzles zones are very good, spoilers.

I just figured out today how to make it to the other side just by running over the first trap doors, makes sense, because you learn how to do that by going further into the puzzles. On my 3rd or 4th first try, I builded a bridge over the traps. I falled two times being lazy and trying to use only one big plank while dragging a crate... hahah

Then I got really stuck at the two gates locked/ two levers facing eachother, for like an hour. I tried many many things to block at least one lever up, but I accidentally managed to do it, with something that wouldn't supposed to work : Y puted a large plank all accross the two levers, and dropped a rock onto the plank, and it worked. One lever seemed pulled up by the plank quite oddly.
I enjoyed the rest of the puzzles without true trouble or bugs, got two plate items and spauldrons at the end so it was worth it, but then I died on the road to lvl 2... ok, I took a little detour.

I also am so pleased by the changes I see, for example now when you move an iobject that is under other objects, those falls, before they would float ^^
The character almost don't trip on objects on the ground anymore, I maybe falled twice per character, and that means that when I do, it never gets old and stay fresh and fun !
The combat feels mutch more in control too, I like it.
Good update.

Murf

We've made characters negotiate and climb obstacles much better and get snagged on things less.
The only thing I do not like about this I have found is the keeping everything equal with NPC's makes it much harder to get them to trip over my traps. :(

burgzaza

Insider
The only thing I do not like about this I have found is the keeping everything equal with NPC's makes it much harder to get them to trip over my traps. :(
The "furniture traps" have to be unforgiving in order to work now yeah, but the more furniture, the more possibilites ! ;)

burgzaza

Insider
Ah yes, those worked, but it was mutch harder to navigate without tripping ourselves on them :p

thoughts of a friend playing Exanima too : "aaah man, I'd love so mutch to be able to
hold the lever with a hand while moving something under it"

Those physics based puzzles are very cool, but it's true that's it's a bit hard to manipulate objects, especially when you have to move two things almost at the same time (
I finally used my own character to move a chair under a lever while holding the lever upside with the mouse
).

Array

A change I have noticed in this patch is in the arena if I loot armour etc off opponents and then die next time i start the arena I am wearing it all. If I restart the game it resets. This seems a little like cheating to me and so I end up leaning towards completely naked fighting (then lose my bottle about 6 opponents in and suit up)

Iscandar

Ah yes, those worked, but it was mutch harder to navigate without tripping ourselves on them :p

thoughts of a friend playing Exanima too : "aaah man, I'd love so mutch to be able to
hold the lever with a hand while moving something under it"

Those physics based puzzles are very cool, but it's true that's it's a bit hard to manipulate objects, especially when you have to move two things almost at the same time (
I finally used my own character to move a chair under a lever while holding the lever upside with the mouse
).
I found that you can place one wooden plank horizontally right over the lever, and put two wooden boxes to the sides. This creates that shape you're thinking of, but it works. The wooden plank will be lifted up by the lever as it goes up, but the lever will become stuck under the plank once that plank falls back down. The wooden boxes are there on the sides to ensure the plank doesn't slip left or right.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.