Exanima story

konggary

Great thread, some fascinating stuff here. Maybe the theories are incomplete or even wrong, but they still make for a very interesting read.

I like this explanation, and it would explain why the blue lights are similar across all four levels. Except why would they bother linking their HQ to a dilapidated dungeon...to attack/reach whoever was there? How did they reach the outside world before they built the Portal (assuming they even did)? Could the thaumaturgists really have built Level 4, it seems ancient despite its unusually good condition?

So many things just don't add up.

The only things I'm assuming at the moment are:

1) Someone built Levels 1 through 3.

2) Someone else built Level 4.

3) At some point the Portal was installed, connecting both places over a presumably large distance.

4) The thaumaturgists were using Levels 1 through 3 to experiment. At some point they moved into Level 4 and presumably beyond.

5) For whatever reason the character is on the trail of one or more of the thaumaturgists, otherwise why keep the note? Perhaps simply to find the exit, perhaps to investigate further - who knows? I'd like to know how the character got there at least, and our intention, since we are the character.

Given the above I think it's reasonable to believe, at least for now, that Exanima is "all about how that happened".

That would be one hell of a boss battle. Imagine if they just threw you into a battle with a trained mage with no mention of it in the patch notes...

Mowglia

Absolutely, that was speculation on my part - should have stopped at "connecting both places".

The Portal might exist for any number of reasons. Like you say Level 4 might be below (but close) to Levels 1 through 3. Or there might be some obstacle in the way, such as a chasm. It's even possible the Portal possesses properties that necessitate its use, such as the ability to prevent certain creatures passing through.

I tried to kite Sir through it at one point but he didn't use it and just pummelled me instead :D

Absolutely, that was speculation on my part - should have stopped at "connecting both places".

The Portal might exist for any number of reasons. Like you say Level 4 might be below (but close) to Levels 1 through 3. Or there might be some obstacle in the way, such as a chasm. It's even possible the Portal possesses properties that necessitate its use, such as the ability to prevent certain creatures passing through.

I tried to kite Sir through it at one point but he didn't use it and just pummelled me instead :D
Nothing can use the portals but you.

Mowglia

Nothing can use the portals but you.

This is incorrect...

Both Thaven, Papin, and (presumably) the builders of the Portal (assuming it wasn't Thaven and/or Papin, which it probably wasn't) can all use the Portal too.

I'm working (?) on a promising theory that explains some things in more detail, hopefully without any inconsistencies, based only on documents that have been found from Levels 1 through 4. Except I've got to check it against every document, parchment, and book, so it's taking a while.

Unfortunately the character doing the investigation just got vaporized travelling between dungeons (RIP Alice aka Skinny), so I'm assuming her extensive Journal got vaporized too.

Fortunately I'm paranoid about such things and kept a text-file backup of her Journal. Luckily I also have a spare character who ought to be able to finish the investigation on Levels 3 and 4 (assuming he's not also been corrupted in some way).

This is incorrect...

Both Thaven, Papin, and (presumably) the builders of the Portal (assuming it wasn't Thaven and/or Papin, which it probably wasn't) can all use the Portal too.
I was talking about how only the player character can go through the portal in-game. Of course everyone else can go through it, story-wise.

I can put together a screenshot with every single document in game for you if you need so.

Mowglia

I was talking about how only the player character can go through the portal in-game. Of course everyone else can go through it, story-wise.

I can put together a screenshot with every single document in game for you if you need so.

Ah, I'm with you. I realised this when Sir ran straight through it to clobber me (whereas I had to run around it). Also it appears that if we use the Portal to exit a level then the NPCs 'freeze' as they seem to be in the same place when I return (even after some time), which prevents NPCs from pursuing (for now at least).

Nevertheless, for our purposes we're interested in what is possible in terms of the story rather than from a mechanical perspective. It's possible that not all entities can use the Portal (story-wise), which might be why it's there. I'm still trying to figure this out but it'll take a while yet.

I don't need screenshots of the documents (thanks though) given it's easy enough to check them all as I'm checking other related evidence, with one exception:

The map on the table in the War Room on Level 2, my resolution isn't high enough to read it properly. I can read parts of it (so I know it's in English), but if anyone has a hi-res copy then it might help shed some light on precisely what was going on from a strategic perspective (regarding the war that Papin speculates about).

Ah, I'm with you. I realised this when Sir ran straight through it to clobber me (whereas I had to run around it). Also it appears that if we use the Portal to exit a level then the NPCs 'freeze' as they seem to be in the same place when I return (even after some time), which prevents NPCs from pursuing (for now at least).

Nevertheless, for our purposes we're interested in what is possible in terms of the story rather than from a mechanical perspective. It's possible that not all entities can use the Portal (story-wise), which might be why it's there. I'm still trying to figure this out but it'll take a while yet.

I don't need screenshots of the documents (thanks though) given it's easy enough to check them all as I'm checking other related evidence, with one exception:

The map on the table in the War Room on Level 2, my resolution isn't high enough to read it properly. I can read parts of it (so I know it's in English), but if anyone has a hi-res copy then it might help shed some light on precisely what was going on from a strategic perspective (regarding the war that Papin speculates about).
Someone has taken a picture of the map somewhere on the Forum. He was able to mod his Camera zoom level to see it.
Zhuliks did it with some changed values.

Last edited:
@Mowglia But the writing on the map look like complete nonsense to me, can you translate?
My translation so far:

Eastern rivermarsh area

Key:
  • Moorings
  • Watchers
  • Forest fort
  • Underearth
The designations on the actual map are obviously topographical, like '... hills', '... river', '... woods'. I have trouble making out the word in the bottom right, though. I assume it's 'scale'.
Read further...

Mowglia

Sure, I won't bother marking these as spoilers as they're merely names...

The heading reads "Eastern Rivermarsh Area".

The compass obviously reads "N, E, S & W".

Under the compass reads "Key" followed by:

"Moorings",
"Watchers",
"Forest Fort",
"UnderEarth" - which is the bit we're interested in :D

Above the bar at the lower right reads "Scale", below the bar reads "0 1 2 3" (units unspecified).

The forest on the far right reads "Trebhorna Forest" and the north/south path through this forest reads "Forest Road". The dot southeast of Trebhorna Forest presumably shouldn't be there unless there's an unmarked waterway.

The north/south path on the far left (just above the circle with three dots inside) reads "Riverside Path".

The last bits made my eyeballs bleed (need higher resolution), but insofar as I could determine:

The northern hills are called "Orm Hills" (although since the "m" doesn't look quite right there's a chance it could be "Orin Hills" - except then the "i" would look wrong).

The southern hills are called "Tealif Hills" (or possibly "Kealif Hills" - the first letter appears incomplete either way).

The central woods are called "Mitforn Woods" (although the "r" doesn't look quite right).

The river is hard to see, but as far as I can make out it's "Tarpaon River".

Let's just be thankful they don't use that font on the forum (for maximum immersion) o_O

Mowglia

Here is the first part of my investigation into what's been going on down there. It only deals with the (distant) past.

Initial Assumptions:
  • That all documents are accurate and true.
  • That recent parchments are contemporary, and that old parchments are also contemporary.

First we investigate the distant past...

A) Theory; Our ancestors mined into the Earth and discovered the Underworld. The Underworld is protected by a Guardian who sent forth Demons to drive our ancestors out. Our ancestors managed to seal the entrances to the Underworld and swore never to return.

Evidence; A book (The Guardian's Wrath). (Ref: L02/018/a).

Notes; The book states that Demons were sent forth to drive our ancestors out and hunt them down, rather than simply hunt them down and drive them out. The book also refers to entrances to the Underworld rather than a single entrance.

B) Theory; There was a cult dedicated to the worship of the Guardian. The Guardian is known as the Keeper of the Dead. The Guardian is responsible for the care of our dead, and possibly giving them life beyond this life. A prophecy exists, that in a time of dire need the Guardian will raise an army of the dead to defend us. The Guardian is our protector.

Evidence; A book (The Guardian Of The Underworld). (Ref: L02/018/b).

Note; Given the prophecy we can assume that the Guardian is not simply responsible for watching over our dead, but is in fact our protector.

C) Theory; The architects of Level 4 were members of this cult, known as the Conservers. A significant function of Level 4 was storage for vast numbers of documents. Either the Guardian, or his avatar, takes the form of a spider. The Demon on Level 4 was sent forth by the Guardian to protect the Underworld from intruders.

Evidence; A parchment (old) found east of Papin's rooms on Level 2 reads; "I have been informed that the conservers have spies amongst us. Despite our differences I cannot imagine that they're looking to harm us, or even impede our mission here. I cannot in truth see much reason to prevent them from knowing our progress, I am inclined to just let them get their information rather than waste resources and encourage doubt and suspicion amongst us." (Ref: L02/022).

Clearly the architects of Level 4 were competent builders and their beliefs and duties are reflected in the design of the area, which (as we know it) is in part a massive library. The primary symbology is that of a spider. Given we know the Conservers worshipped the Guardian, and their primary symbology is that of a spider, then we can assume that the Guardian is the spider.

Since the Demon was encountered on Level 4 and the Guardian is the only entity (we know of) with the power to send forth a Demon, and considering our location (probably deep underground) and history (#L02/018/a), then presumably this Demon is as described (in The Guardian's Wrath).

Notes; The Guardian's Wrath states the Guardian sent forth Demons, rather than a single Demon. The Demon found on Level 4 (aka Sir) could be one of the original Demons. Its behaviour (to attack on sight) appears to conform with its task as set by the Guardian.

D) Theory; The architects/occupants of Level 4 were from the same civilization as the architects/occupants of Levels 1 through 3. The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 communicated with the occupants of Level 4, although they had their "differences". Engineers from this civilization operated across all four levels, and their origin was Level 4. This civilization was our own ancestral civilization.

Evidence; Clearly the occupants of Level 4 were in contact with the occupants of Levels 1 through 3 (#L02/022) and spoke the same language (or could at least translate).

Two individuals operating on Level 1 (Darrin, possibly the commander, and Naiss, an engineer (#L01/016/b)) have names similar in style to an individual operating on Level 4 (Dassin, presumably the head librarian (#L04/038)).

The blue lights found across all four levels (whilst not identical) were almost certainly constructed using the same process, and probably by the same engineers (from Level 4), given the design of the lights on Levels 1 through 3 is reminiscent of styles and symbology originating on Level 4.

Given we can read and understand (most of) these documents then we can assume this civilization comprised our own ancestors.

Notes; If the "spies" from Level 4 could not blend in then they would presumably be of little use. The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 appear to have been primarily soldiers, and the occupants of Level 4 appear to have been primarily cultists/bureaucrats.

E) Theory; Engineers from Level 4 built the Portal. The Portal was the primary means of interaction between the occupants of Level 4 (Conservers) and the occupants of Levels 1 through 3 (the "Soldiers"). The Portal was used to move a significant quantity of material and supplies.

Evidence; Level 4 is covered in a strange regular symbology, part angular, part curved. The Portal itself is part angular, part curved. The similarity is overtly obvious, including (but not limited to) the symbology adorning walls, the design of the spider (especially the body), many designs on the Conserver Council's Table, chairs, torch-fittings, and gates. In numerous cases the design of the Portal is strikingly similar to the symbology found on Level 4.

Given the Portal exists and connects Level 4 to Level 3 then we can assume that this is how they travelled and communicated. The extensive storage facilities and huge volumes of supplies on both sides of the Portal imply that the Portal was also used to move a significant quantity of material.

Note; It is not clear in which direction the supplies and material were moved, or the purpose of doing this. Nevertheless, given the scale of the endeavour, we can speculate that the reason was either offensive, defensive, or construction (or any combination thereof).

F) Theory; Trouble was brewing on both sides of the Portal. The Soldiers (on Levels 1 through 3) were facing a threat from the outside. The Conservers were experiencing some form of internal dispute (Terschenn was doing something that not all Conservers agreed with). At some point violence occurred on Level 4 (#L04/034/a). The Demon somehow got into Level 4, which would account for the violence. It seems likely that the release of the Demon was linked to Terschenn's activity.

Evidence; A book found in the court room on Level 2 (east of the armoury) is a log filled with detailed reports of people violating certain rules. Most of these rules are obviously aimed at preventing the entry of intruders. They are strict and elaborate to the point of seeming a product of paranoia. (Ref: L02/017).

A parchment (old) found near the vault on Level 1 states "In response to our surprising failure we've installed Naiss's ingenious mechanism as a final precaution against intrusion." (Ref: L01/016/a).

The huge door in the south of Level 1, possibly the main entrance, has been barricaded. This implies the occupants expected to be attacked from outside. (Ref: L01/008).

There is a large map on Level 2 (northwest). Two positions on the map (in the north/south hills) describe "watchers" which implies some level of threat, and indicates the map is being used for (potential) military activity. (Ref: L02/019).

A parchment (new) inside a desk in Papin's rooms (on Level 2) states; "Clearly this was once a place of military activity, but who were they fighting? Were we once at war with these people? It would seem we won. How could such events be completely erased from our history?" (Ref: L02/020/b).

(#L02/022 - see above).

East of Papin's rooms on Level 4 are two (old) parchments:

"Venerable Aderon, I understand that you are conflicted, but I must ask that you keep the voicings of your misgivings to within the council. You cannot hope to stop this now, you will only cause disquiet and potentially worse. Please remember the responsibility that comes with your position. Terschenn." (Terschenn is presumably the head of the Conserver Council). (Ref: L04/035/a).

"Our glorious hero is little more than a killer. Now that his deadly work is done he cares nothing for the consequences. Murder our gods so that we may be free. And lost. I will not forget who saved us from oblivion. We have been warned, far worse is coming and our demise is now inevitable." (Presumably written by Aderon, a Conserver Council member). (Ref: L04/035/b).

A parchment (old) on Level 4 inside a cabinet in the southwestern end of the library; "Burn, burn it all! A lifetime watching over things that I must now consign to the fires. For what? The teachings of a monstrous traitor? The sorry truth is that no one is willing now to admit they were wrong, too much was invested, it couldn't be for nothing. And so we go forth and burn the path behind us, let blind hope be our guide." (Presumably written by Dassin, head librarian). (Ref: L04/039).

A parchment (old) found on a skeleton wandering Level 4 (west); "When I took this oath I told myself my life no longer mattered. Now that courage, that sense of purpose, is fading fast. I look to the others for strength, but I find the same doubt in their eyes. They mocked us and now I see the truth of it. This is senseless." (Presumably written before his body was resurrected by Papin). (Ref: L04/040).

Extract from a (new) parchment found in Papin's rooms on Level 4; "These dead guards, perhaps I could call them into action." (Ref: L04/034/a).

Notes; It does not appear that the external threat managed to breach Level 1, assuming the barricades (#L01/008) are old rather than recent. It is unclear whether the Conservers and Soldiers ever fought amongst themselves (given they seem to have been cooperating, despite their differences). On the War Map in Level 2 is marked a position referred to as "UnderEarth", which could well be our current location (at least before we used the Portal).

Summary:
  • Our ancestors discovered the Underworld, a place hidden deep inside the Earth.
  • A Guardian protects the Underworld.
  • The Guardian sent forth Demons to drive our ancestors out.
  • Our ancestors sealed the entrances to the Underworld and swore never to return.
  • There was a cult dedicated to the worship of the Guardian.
  • The Guardian is known as the Keeper of the Dead.
  • The Guardian is responsible for the care of our dead, and giving them life beyond this life.
  • A prophecy states that the Guardian will raise an army of the dead to defend us (i.e., the living) in a time of dire need.
  • The Guardian is our protector.
  • The architects of Level 4 were members of this cult, known as the Conservers.
  • A significant function of Level 4 was storage for vast numbers of documents.
  • Either the Guardian, or his avatar, takes the form of a spider.
  • The Demon on Level 4 (aka Sir) was sent forth by the Guardian to protect the Underworld from intruders.
  • The architects/occupants of Level 4 were from the same civilization as the architects/occupants of Levels 1 through 3.
  • The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 communicated with the occupants of Level 4, although they had their differences.
  • Engineers from this civilization operated across all four levels, and their origin was Level 4.
  • The occupants of Levels 1 through 3 were primarily soldiers.
  • The occupants of Level 4 were primarily cultists/bureaucrats (Conservers).
  • This civilization was our own ancestral civilization.
  • Conserver engineers built the Portal.
  • The Portal was the primary means of interaction between the Conservers and the Soldiers.
  • The Portal was used to move a significant quantity of material and supplies.
  • Trouble was brewing on both sides of the Portal.
  • The Soldiers were facing a threat from the outside.
  • The Conservers were experiencing an internal dispute.
  • At some point violence occurred on Level 4.
  • The Demon somehow got into Level 4, which would account for the violence.
  • Terschenn's activity explains the release of the Demon.

Conclusion:

It is probably best to leave things there for now. Of course we could speculate that survivors from Level 4 (and perhaps Level 3) escaped deeper into the Underworld, but this is probably premature given we haven't yet seen the whole of Level 4. We might also speculate that construction of the Portal did not itself constitute a breach into the Underworld (although it might have been part of such a plan), but pffft, who knows? We need more data. We could even speculate that the Conservers attempted to kill the Guardian itself (or its avatar), but let's not even go there...
Anyway, this accounts for the past insofar as I can determine it. There will inevitably still be inconsistencies, so please point them out when you find any. Also please ignore references (unless you find them useful), they are merely there to enable me to keep track of documents, observations, etc.

When I've got time I'll probably deal with the present.

Gsprfdude

I'm going full conspiracy theory so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt. What if you are actually a crazy person who is stuck in some sort of time warp? All the zombies and skeletons are regular people (this could explain why more of them are friendly in level 1, as they don't know who you are). As an effect of the time warp (I'm talking Dark Souls level bs time warps) certain notes and stuff are sent into the past that explain this hero killing a god. But you are the subject of these notes its just that you're reading them before they were chronologically written. The reason I say they were regular people is because it would explain why the note abhorently describes the "hero" as having left a path of destruction. To you they're zombies and skeletons but in their eyes you're a crazy person who's trespassing and killing their friends. This would culminate with you killing their worshipped god, who's probably some crazy strong archbishop thaumaturge guy.

Btw, don't believe any of this.

NachoDawg

I'm going full conspiracy theory so take everything I'm about to say with a grain of salt. What if you are actually a crazy person who is stuck in some sort of time warp? All the zombies and skeletons are regular people (this could explain why more of them are friendly in level 1, as they don't know who you are). As an effect of the time warp (I'm talking Dark Souls level bs time warps) certain notes and stuff are sent into the past that explain this hero killing a god. But you are the subject of these notes its just that you're reading them before they were chronologically written. The reason I say they were regular people is because it would explain why the note abhorently describes the "hero" as having left a path of destruction. To you they're zombies and skeletons but in their eyes you're a crazy person who's trespassing and killing their friends. This would culminate with you killing their worshipped god, who's probably some crazy strong archbishop thaumaturge guy.

Btw, don't believe any of this.
too late, I love it, it's now engrained in my brain for ever. Every single new learned fact shall henceforth be moulded into fitting this theory. Because to me, the "canon lore" doesn't make enough sense yet to be this entertaining

Mowglia

too late, I love it, it's now engrained in my brain for ever. Every single new learned fact shall henceforth be moulded into fitting this theory. Because to me, the "canon lore" doesn't make enough sense yet to be this entertaining

Except he's not talking about Exanima, he's talking about RL - which explains a lot. Especially the bit about the archbishop.

Exanima has to make sense though!

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.