Great combat, but a few thoughts

I've been playing the Arena in Exanima exclusively for about a week. I tried the campaign once, ran into the first door on accident and tripped into a zombie who axed me to death. Overall a good experience, but I'll stick to the arena until I get bored with it (Won't be any time soon).

The combat is unlike anything I've ever seen. It's rewarding in a sense I've never realized was possible from a game, and the potential for mindgames and tricks is endless. I've played competitive Melee for about 5 years, and when I say this is the first game I've seen that could approach or even surpass the depth there I don't mean that lightly.

That being said, I have a few thoughts on what is lacking in the combat. As a 2H sword user, I often find myself getting really nicely spaced strikes to the neck with the tip of the blade that feel great. The blood spray adds a visceral sense of impact that really adds to the oomph of the hit and makes you feel like you really did something. However, I go on to see that my opponent simply takes the hit in stride and continues to fight with no visible detriment. While I understand that there needs to be a limit to realism (Programming fighting with both hamstrings cut would be a nightmare, I'm sure), I was wondering if there was to be any status effects or wounding that would appear on the target. Strikes to the neck, the back of the legs at the knees, and the eyes are the main areas that I find myself feeling a bit irked about when striking. I've heard rumblings about things like this coming into place, but I haven't seen anything official.

A second thought is on weapon modifiers. The engine seems really adaptable for concepts like this with the whole physics-based weapon combat. Adding counterweights and adding hilt-guards and the like seems like a really neat way to expand upon weapon variety. Of course, if weapons are not really a permanent possession and are meant to be acquired and discarded often, perhaps this is just too much to add. Again, I've heard talk of this before but nothing from official channels.

Finally, I was curious to see if there would be any type of disarming possible with a hefty enough motion. It's just an idle thought that's come across my mind during specific scenarios, but it would be neat to hear of any thoughts on the mechanic.

Thanks guys for sticking through with it. I backed this game in 2013 and I'm so hyped to see it already surpass my expectations. Great stuff, keep it up!

ErlKing

I have disarmed one zombie in campaign mode, she charged me afterwards with her bare hand, hell if I know how I did that though.

I have disarmed a zombie too, the one with a 2H stick. It felt cool because i was rushing him with my club and i hit his arm with an overhead while he was preparing a strike. I don't know the exact English words for this... but with the momentum of my attack and the position of his arms and weapon ( Since he was moving his arms backwards to attack ) It might have boosted my impact force and his weapon went flying.

This kind of dynamic combat and behavior in NPC's is so unique, and satisfying!

I also think your idea of weapon ''Mods'' would be a good game changer. Since the engine is physics based, and looks really precise, something like a Messer http://i.imgur.com/USCv3ac.png could have a video game use for it's long guard.

Love these ideas!

ErlKing

Few things I would like to see is:

- Hurting/slashing enemy leg/knee forbid him from sprinting/dashing, at least for a time.

- Limited shields durability (good versus swords and maces, bad versus axes), at least for wooden ones.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.