Kingdom Come - Deliverance

Fawz

Insider
They're still pretty early into the development with a lot of placeholder assets. There's also technological barriers to consider when making mention of certain things not behaving realistically.

They may be trying to be as realistic as possible with their systems, but they are still an RPG game with stats and as such are not aiming for a simulator type of game. They're not trying to simulate things to the point where a strong blow to the arm would render it useless for the rest of the game, as that's just not fun or good game design for a game like that.

Rob

When game devs promote their games as being "realistic", you've got to take it with a pinch of salt. What it usually means is that they're going for a higher level of realism than has become industry standard at that point in time. Remember how Doom was marketed as having realistic 3D graphics in the early 90s?!

It's great to strive for higher levels of realism, but it's unrealistic for us to expect games to actually be realistic. I'm all for striving towards 100% realism and immersion, but I try not to expect too much by default, because that would just lead to disappointment. Things like swords going through plate armour might just be where the devs of Kingdom Come chose to draw the line between game and reality. Despite such inaccuracies, it still looks like it would be a pretty fun and immersive game.

That being said, I'm sure it's useful for the devs to have a mass of historically-accurate information to work from, so that they can siphon through it, taking what they want to include in the game and ignoring the rest (which is probably the majority of such info, TBH). Consequently, I do think that the input of knowledgeable members of the community is useful (e.g. the likes of Elric and co. in this forum).

Empire²

Insider
Adding on to that, I am not sure they actually promised a physics-based collision engine in combat the same way Sui Generis will. I don't think that goes with their vision very well, and might cause some dissonance in the mechanics of the game. Try to imagine it more like the melee combat in Mirror's Edge (much more expanded of course). A big part in counter-attacking were your reaction times, which is similar to the counter attacks in Kingdom Come, as they elaborated that a well-timed parry would leave an enemy open for a counter, while holding the defense button down will actively parry and block incoming attacks. Your own attacks were differentiated by context. Attacking in mid-air will allow you to jump kick, while crouching allows for a low, sweeping kick. Having those and more contextual attacks, as well as that sub-targeting system, I don't think physics-based collision would make the combat feel much better. In fact, I feel as if it would turn into a medieval Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which is not what they're shooting for I would hope.

Give them some time to polish the game and work out some of the more critical and immersion-ruining flaws, and I think the combat will end up as realistic as it gets. When they call it realistic, however, keep in mind that it will mean realistic within what the game supplies you with. Realism doesn't really equal the extent of the player's input.

BrecMadak

Insider
This new 5th video update explains how AI gonna work on living world npcs, which shows common grounds with SG pretty much;

Fawz

Insider
I wasn't expecting much from the AI behaviors but it seems like they have a pretty robust system in place, and good tools to make snappy changes. Looking forward to the sandbox aspect of the game :D

Sneil

Insider
I dont know why I only just say this thread now, but this game looks absolutely incredible. I'm glad I caught this before the kickstarter is over.

Empire²

Insider
I dont know why I only just say this thread now, but this game looks absolutely incredible. I'm glad I caught this before the kickstarter is over.
All credit goes to @ShaunRemo for linking this game in the "Your most expected upcoming games" thread, I would've never found it otherwise.

The game is looking better with each and every update. It's very clear that this is a project Warhorse Studios are incredibly passionate about. Heck, you only have to take a look at some of the Kickstarter rewards to understand that. Inscripted, hand-forged swords, commemorative coins and hand-painted, decorative shields. It's evident that they understand the industry very well, and I wish them the very best with the development of Kingdom Come. It's a shame that they won't reach tournament mode, however. Unless a very generous investor comes along I suppose *crosses fingers*.

Sony Black

Insider
Yes, but what I mean is an additional boost of funds within Kickstarter. I doubt their private investor will provide further funding through Kickstarter :p

Zdenka will gove most of the money - how I understood it the kickstarter was more about convincing him that interest for the game exists. I think I've read about 6 or 7 millions coming from him (don't ask me where I've read that, but I'm sure I have :p).

Empire²

Insider
Zdenka will gove most of the money - how I understood it the kickstarter was more about convincing him that interest for the game exists. I think I've read about 6 or 7 millions coming from him (don't ask me where I've read that, but I'm sure I have :p).
Yes, that is indeed their goal. After an unfruitful search for a publisher, they decided they would rely solely on these investments. They entered Kickstarter with the goal of convincing Zdenek of the interest for the game, and thus receiving further funding during development. Any added funds from Kickstarter are a huge help, of course.

However, what I'm saying is that Zdenek Bakala, if he is indeed the private investor, won't make a Kickstarter account to pledge money. He's not going to provide additional funds through there, and the funds provided by him probably don't count towards their Kickstarter goals. This was a statement regarding the fact that I doubted they would reach their goal of £900.000, which held the promise of a tournament mode. A sidenote for that would be that they, in fact, surpassed this goal, and have 46 hours left on their Kickstarter!

I think some clearing up was in order there :p

Another sidenote, they just finished an hour-long livestream to show off an (outdated) alpha build!

Tessaya

Insider
Place-holders, don't forget that.

Still, so much games with great potential to come, makes me wonder how I'll find the time to play them all :3

Sneil

Insider
Huh. I wasn't expecting the language to be so un-modern sounding. I think I like it. I'm not sure I like the voice actors though.
He commented on this exact point in the video and said they feel the Shakespeare-esk language is a bit over the top and will be changed to something much more "common." Happy to hear that as well. Great vid! super excited for this, this game just looks absolutely amazing. Those forested areas along with the rest are absolutely breath taking. Can't wait for the alpha.:D

Last edited:

BrecMadak

Insider
The game won't be that hardcore like DS which I've heard yesterday, so gone with Soldier pack. If it was the other way would have gone for a higher bracket honestly.

Brent

Insider
Very big update for this mighty fine game. The teaser for alpha (which releases on the 22nd of this month) is @12:40

#based white privileged able bodied cisgender basement dwelling manbaby virgin scum phallocratic mra neckbeard shitlord

Sneil

Insider
lol :D

Well that's better than what Ive got. So far all Ive got is a beige load screen that wont disappear and crashed my PC! Trying again now...

Well it loads, then fairly quickly after crash to desktop. fun :/

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.