Master Fights Easier Than Expert Fights Because Masters Only Use Slow Polearms

JBlak

I can easily defeat a fully-plated master with a swift one-handed sword, doesn't even take that long.

Should Masters use weapons other than polearms?

Raaq666

Insider
I can easily defeat a fully-plated master with a swift one-handed sword, doesn't even take that long.

Should Masters use weapons other than polearms?
Agreed.
Maybe some of them should be given a mace and a shield? Would make pretty good sense in my opinion

Yeah, I mean I understand the point of the master their is to fight plate on plate but the polearms arnt the only weapon designed to kill armor,

Tyon

They should be given two-handed swords, mace and shield wouldn't make sense since they're in full plate armor, but just a flanged mace would be cool too. I also thing there needs to be some master tier polearms, such as a finely crafted pollaxe (the current one is only reasonably well made according to the description). Maybe what weapon a master tier opponent uses depends on what rank they're fighting, I mean if I was a man at arms and I knew i was going to fight a peasant with a stick, I'd bring a sword, but if I knew I was gonna fight a fully plated knight, I'd bring my pollaxe, I think it would add more to the intelligence of NPCs and make them more realistic.

Would also be nice to see some more variation in general. I think the jump from expert tier to master tier in terms of armor is a bit too drastic. You have guys in expert who don't even wear helmets or have breastplates, but then everyone in master has full plate armor. I think there should be more modularity for the plate armor, for example; the "plate leggings" should come in two pieces, the greaves as a lower part, and the cuisse/knee armor as the upper part. I personally don't need greaves at all and would rather just cover that area with boots.
Here's what I'm talking about: http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Men-at-Arms-53099182

Another thing that could add variation would be surcoats, which I think will be added eventually. Would be awesome if we could customise them. Can't wait for my female main character to look like this: http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Calm-Before-the-Storm-138423794 :D

Instead of ranks, how about armor classes with the skill rank? Like master-light armor or master- heavy, and have more variation on the list

I'd have to agree. I'm able to reliably kill a master challenge with a brand new recruit with just an iron bar as my weapon. In the rare occasion I do get hit, it can be devastating.
However I'm far less likely to do an expert challenge with the same character due to the more weapons available. If I encounter a 2h sword the chances of myself winning with the are a lot less.

Raaq666

Insider
They should be given two-handed swords, mace and shield wouldn't make sense since they're in full plate armor, but just a flanged mace would be cool too.
Oh, i thought that would EXACTLY make sense, since the mace is pretty damn effective against armour :D
If we're talking about master against master, a two handed sword would make less sense than a mace.

OR

Are you talking about how it doesn't make sense, if you give them a shield to go with it? Surely a shield would help you not getting hit and at this point using a shield doesn't give you any adverse effects.

Maybe i'm missing something here.

The Witcher

Supporter
what do you mean a two handed sword wouldnt make sense in medieval times full plated knights,man at arms,and wealthy infantry where using two handed swords a lot more going for the gaps and stuff and there was nearly no shields used after 15 century

Well knights would only use swords when fighting lighter armored opponents, but when it came to armor v armor the sword was only used to wrestle the opponent to the ground, in most cases of knight v knight they would use maces and such because swords are kinda usless on armor

The Witcher

Supporter
do you know half swording search for it two handed swords where made around 14 century they used them grabbing them from the blade and aiming for the gaps of the armor and sometimes grabbing the sword with 2 hands from the blade and using the guard as a mace

Yes but do you think that is worth implementing? I mean makeing an alt mode for swords that only makes it slightly better on impact? I currently use the 1 handed falchion, it's heavy and has good impact, but every once in awhile fighting on master I'll hit a joint just right to do some cut. But the chances of that happening are super small, I'm just saying that a knight, knowing he had to kill another knight, would most likely not bring a sword

The Witcher

Supporter
they actually bringed swords a lot of times and duels with half swording ended actually pretty fast around 2-3 munites

Tyon

do you know half swording search for it two handed swords where made around 14 century they used them grabbing them from the blade and aiming for the gaps of the armor and sometimes grabbing the sword with 2 hands from the blade and using the guard as a mace
If a knight knows that he's going to fight another knight in full plate armor, he will bring a pollaxe which is a weapon that is VERY well designed to fighting armor. A sword may have the addition of being able to use it as an anti-armor weapon if the need arises, but no intelligent soldier would use a sword to fight a full plate armor opponent if they also have access to a dedicated anti-armor weapon such as a pollaxe or a mace.

This is why I stated that if a master level opponent challenges someone from the adept rank or lower, they should be more likely to bring a weapon like a sword or maybe even a halberd instead of dedicated anti-armor weapons like a pollaxe or pole hammer.

Oh, i thought that would EXACTLY make sense, since the mace is pretty damn effective against armour :D
If we're talking about master against master, a two handed sword would make less sense than a mace.

OR

Are you talking about how it doesn't make sense, if you give them a shield to go with it? Surely a shield would help you not getting hit and at this point using a shield doesn't give you any adverse effects.

Maybe i'm missing something here.
Because shields had become redundant once knights were able to cover almost their entire body in plates, so they historically stopped using them. My main complaint is that it would just look tacky seeing them carrying a wooden round shield or heater shield when they have full plate armor. However, if there was a larger metal shield added into the game in an upcoming update, I wouldn't mind seeing full plate armor knights with it, since at least it would match their armor. I do think that "knights" carried such shields at times, as seen in this picture.

Last edited:
Yes but knights almost never met on the battlefield, they carried swords because they were mostly fighting men-at-arms, who had simple armor and could be killed by a sword.

The Witcher

Supporter
men at arms actually had nearly the same armors as knights what do you mean normal infantry was pretty easy to fight if you had the skill and equipment knights met in the battlefield but killed eachother rarely most times one knocked the other on the ground and then used him for ransom and just to know a sword is a mace a dagger and a sword all together you could use it with many ways hitting with the guard as a mace half swording and looking to stab in the enemy gaps or just slashing with it here you can see a man at arms http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Men-at-Arms-53099182

Bobob

If a knight knows that he's going to fight another knight in full plate armor, he will bring a pollaxe which is a weapon that is VERY well designed to fighting armor. A sword may have the addition of being able to use it as an anti-armor weapon if the need arises, but no intelligent soldier would use a sword to fight a full plate armor opponent if they also have access to a dedicated anti-armor weapon such as a pollaxe or a mace.

This is why I stated that if a master level opponent challenges someone from the adept rank or lower, they should be more likely to bring a weapon like a sword or maybe even a halberd instead of dedicated anti-armor weapons like a pollaxe or pole hammer.

Because shields had become redundant once knights were able to cover almost their entire body in plates, so they historically stopped using them. My main complaint is that it would just look tacky seeing them carrying a wooden round shield or heater shield when they have full plate armor. However, if there was a larger metal shield added into the game in an upcoming update, I wouldn't mind seeing full plate armor knights with it, since at least it would match their armor. I do think that "knights" carried such shields at times, as seen in this picture.

A god.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.