Music and Sounds

SRJR

NWN was bad at this where you'd hear nothing outside a tavern but once you step inside you hear muffled voices from a nearly empty bar and music playing when there were no minstrels. I'd have preferred being able to hear muffled sounds when approaching the establishment and then having positional audio once inside.
Bringing together the bar setting with the silence idea, you could do the opposite of NWN- if the player had a bad relationship with the town, a noisy tavern could go quiet as soon as the hero walked in.

cosmo bozo

Insider
I turned the music off in the elder scrolls and fallout games because it was dynamic....having the battle music start because a mudcrab saw you walk past was laughable...and it was annoying that it warned you in advance of what could have been a nasty ambush

Psychomorph

Insider
I turned the music off in the elder scrolls and fallout games because it was dynamic....having the battle music start because a mudcrab saw you walk past was laughable...and it was annoying that it warned you in advance of what could have been a nasty ambush
This is really bad design, I agree.

Thing is, I find if the music that is played, becomes slightly (emphasis on "slightly") more dynamic if you engage in combat, than it adds something. What I am talking about is actually the very same track, but a more dynamic variation/version of it and the dynamic version doesn't snap in abruptly, but fades into it, so it doesn't interfere with the auditory experience, doesn't stick out negatively, but conveys the right atmosphere for the suituation (combat vs. peaceful exploration).

How to avoid that it doesn't become a warning or an unnecessity I don't know. I'm sure there is a clever way. It may be only something for close combat and only if the enemy is aware and only when the first blow was undertaken, or such.

The way TES: Oblivion does it is an auditory nightmare.

Personally I"m an immersion guy, means music off and hearing the birds singing, but if the music is not over dominant, but subtle and ambient, than it adds to the experience and I keep it on.
One thing I really dislike though is if you engage in combat and the music changes to a more dynamic and faster type. Totally brings me out of balance. In fact I really hate that very much and would prefer if the action music was toggle-able.

This is a nice piece. I absolutely love deep meditative drums. There's nothing like it.

Oh yeah, the music work in Thief is brilliant.
Its very Nice Music ^^

Infidel

Insider
How to avoid that it doesn't become a warning or an unnecessity I don't know. I'm sure there is a clever way. It may be only something for close combat and only if the enemy is aware and only when the first blow was undertaken, or such.
Perhaps it's worse in those games because they're first person perspective. Viewing from the top down we may find that the combat music kicks in only when we have already seen our opponent, so it might work better.

Lathspell

In terms of sound design I don't have too much to say at this point either but will be interested to read any thoughts and suggestions on this and the music.
All the best
can I ask if the voice acting is also a Work in progress? and I ask that because based on the video the voices in fights sounds like equal and like an orcish or ogres voice, it's just my personal opinion though

thanks

Komuflage

Insider
can I ask if the voice acting is also a Work in progress? and I ask that because based on the video the voices in fights sounds like equal and like an orcish or ogres voice, it's just my personal opinion though

thanks
As of right now, everything is "work in progress"

Lathspell

great!, just wanted to know what's their next step, and if they going to bring something new to the table about sounds and my comment was just in case they didn't realize, it could happen you know...;)

Halvidore

Insider
great!, just wanted to know what's their next step, and if they going to bring something new to the table about sounds and my comment was just in case they didn't realize, it could happen you know...;)
Voice recording!? :eek: Last I heard there wasn't going to be any, I could be wrong. I think it was to do with the cost of it all. I'm settling for reading but I'd always be happy if voices were added.

Parco

i think the only voices recording they will do is the effect sounds (screams, breathing, etc...) i dont think they will add voiced dialogs into the game

Halvidore

Insider
i think the only voices recording they will do is the effect sounds (screams, breathing, etc...) i dont think they will add voiced dialogs into the game
That's how I took it. I'm not complaining, I read all throughout the game of Morrowind when I was nine. Some words I didn't get at the time but I still did it.

Screams like in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? God, some of them are brutal listening to.

Going back to the roots of RPG gaming when you read the dialog, should be nice for a change.

Lathspell

Voice recording!? :eek: Last I heard there wasn't going to be any, I could be wrong. I think it was to do with the cost of it all. I'm settling for reading but I'd always be happy if voices were added.
I was talking about voices in fights...

naaah I rather text, I remember skyrim and oblivion, voices repeats over and over o_O

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.