Power suggestions!

Huatim

Insider
Time to role play a poltergeist methinks?
I imagine something like
With astral projection your character meditates and be exposed(your physical body) to possible "attacks" for the duration of the trip. On that trip (short(longer drinking some plants) your soul / spirit / essence (light?) explore half known places which give you some info(enemies,energies,artifacts?) you use in basic gameplay. Maybe it's too much work, maybe is not fun enough, but brainstorming is never bad : )

Sorry my english, i am spanish and i use translators a lot. :)

Mimel

Insider
I imagine something like
With astral projection your character meditates and be exposed(your physical body) to possible "attacks" for the duration of the trip. On that trip (short(longer drinking some plants) your soul / spirit / essence (light?) explore half known places which give you some info(enemies,energies,artifacts?) you use in basic gameplay. Maybe it's too much work, maybe is not fun enough, but brainstorming is never bad : )

Sorry my english, i am spanish and i use translators a lot. :)
This is what I was imagining too. I thought we could project our essence to places that we wanted to explore to gain information before we leave. We could also do this to listen to private conversations of others, to find how a door is locked or trapped, to see if the guards are awake or to communicate with someone that is in a private place. Many options for this.

(Don't worry about your English, even native English speakers make mistakes in English. ;) )

Kaizer0002

Insider
I'd avoid invisibility as a power. I can't think of an example where it isn't unbalanced, even when countermeasures are taken into account.

calithlin

Insider
I'd avoid invisibility as a power. I can't think of an example where it isn't unbalanced, even when countermeasures are taken into account.
I don't know, if there's still a chance for enemies to detect you and it turns off whenever you attack/interact with objects, it tends to work in several games.

Synalon

Insider
Demon's Souls invisibility walks the balance near perfectly. It's useful, but far from broken.

Kale

Insider
Blinded Area - Everyone in the imeediate vicinity is invisible to another. If a person/enemy/player/etc comes into contact with another, they can be seen again.

How about that? Basically, affecting everyone, giving you a slight advantage because you know that'll it'll happen, and lets you have a chance of running away if you know of a clear path. O fcourse, there'd have to be a duration, or else you'll probably screw yourself with invisible enemies everywhere.

Bibidibop

Insider
When I read the word, Thaumaturgy, I think miracles. It might be nice to have some of the powers be inspired by miracles in religious texts, and somehow connected to the idea of being loaned the power of a god or gods. Otherwise, I like the idea of it being scientifically based.

What if the powers were based on the fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetic, strong, and weak forces? These can easily be expanded into power sets; maybe; kind of.:confused:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/funfor.html

Huatim

Insider
When I read the word, Thaumaturgy, I think miracles. It might be nice to have some of the powers be inspired by miracles in religious texts, and somehow connected to the idea of being loaned the power of a god or gods. Otherwise, I like the idea of it being scientifically based.

What if the powers were based on the fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetic, strong, and weak forces? These can easily be expanded into power sets; maybe; kind of.:confused:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/funfor.html
Very interesting

Bryn

Insider
You know what bothered me playing mages in RPGs? If I conjure a meteor, or a rock falling from somewhere, or a lot of water and stuff... where does it come from? Does the mage create it out of nothing? Does he teleport it from somewhere? One thing is for sure, the mage doesn't take it from his surroundings, seeing Ice-spikes in the desert and stuff.

For this, the Displacement Power might be a good way to deal with this.
Want to create a rock wall in front of you, able to block projectiles? No problem, the floor/wall bricks around you will re-arrange to form a wall just where you need it.
If the devs intend to bring in skill levels, this would be level one.
higher levels could be, using regular stone, make bigger walls etc..
and extremely high levels could give you the power to squeeze the stone to a much denser material, to block even huge projectiles or magic attacks.

And for Mana consumption.. I see no reason not to make the same as endurance.
Also, if you run out of mana, you could be able to draw more power from your life force (health) and your surroundings, sucking out the life of critters and make plants wither until there's nothing left.

Bibidibop

Insider
Very interesting
Based on what little I tentatively know, those four would give, just to start, the following effects.
-Strong -- Cause fission or fusion. Increase material strength, but not make it weaker, and by extension create barriers out of air.​
-Weak -- Increase beta radiation, transmute elements? (alchemy), create impossible chemicals. Stop fusion? Make antimatter?​
-Electromagnetic -- Attract or repel, heat or cool, cause invisibility, break chemicals, accelerate chemical reactions, increase and decrease friction; maybe see chemical spectrum, see around corners, see all spectrum even heat, light intensification for night vision (aka all it makes Wizard Eyes!).​
-Gravity -- change object mass and velocity, change ballistic arcs.​

All of that stuff has to do with changing the range of the transmission particles, and arbitrarily making them more or less intense. It could all come back to the power of Displacement on a small but numerous level. It's all very miraculous because it messes with the fundamental nature of how the universe functions. Mess with those things on too large a scale and the universe could die early.

The other aspect is, if you can make this stuff happen at a distance, then you could mess with the chemical, or electrical processes of a person's brain, or metabolism, or heart. Just look at people funny and they start dying, exploding, imploding, collapsing, or cooking. Electromagnetism is innately long ranged and versatile, so it could stand to be the most powerful force, just as in real life. But it's possible to balance short range versus raw strength.

Lastly, I get a small kick out of a Medieval society with advanced physics knowledge.

calithlin

Insider
Based on what little I tentatively know, those four would give, just to start, the following effects.
-Strong -- Cause fission or fusion. Increase material strength, but not make it weaker, and by extension create barriers out of air.​
-Weak -- Increase beta radiation, transmute elements? (alchemy), create impossible chemicals. Stop fusion? Make antimatter?​
-Electromagnetic -- Attract or repel, heat or cool, cause invisibility, break chemicals, accelerate chemical reactions, increase and decrease friction; maybe see chemical spectrum, see around corners, see all spectrum even heat, light intensification for night vision (aka all it makes Wizard Eyes!).​
-Gravity -- change object mass and velocity, change ballistic arcs.​
I like this idea, sort of fits with the whole schema of making everything based on real world physics, but sadly I don't think it aligns with the roue they've taken so far.

Bibidibop

Insider
Displacement
Teleporting, displacing to avoid being hit, conjuring fire, summoning demons...

Energy
Lightning, heating, cooling, electromagnetism...

Light
Producing or suppressing light, invisibility, offensive beams...

Body
Healing, harming, affecting body functions...

Mind
Influencing others, various mental effects, mind control, raising the dead...

Force
Sudden forces, shielding, telekinesis...
This is going to touch on the scientific idea I described, but I like this more, because making it fit the currently conceived system is likely more imaginative. Rather than strictly scientific, it's more about being consistent, and avoiding exploits.

Teleportation could easily be the most powerful ability. With it, you can just teleport a person's brain out of their body. Even moving a brain or spine less than an eighth of an inch could kill. This might need to have strict limits on how its performed. Let's assume the body is holy, and cannot be Displaced against a person's will; how far might this resistance extend: anything a person believes to be on their person, and which they believe to be stable? That could include anything worn, held, or upon which is stood. That might go too far, because Energy powers then would not work against enemy weapons and armor. It should be sufficient that you cannot directly heat a person's brain. On the other hand, it's nice because it ties into a metaphysical basis of things which could be explored more deeply, and carries interesting implications for story based defenses of objects, and perhaps other things. For instance, an item which cannot be displaced, because someone believes it is still in their possession, and do not yet realize it has been pick pocketed.

Energy and Light might be tricky, because on the surface they should cross over. If Energy were really electron control, then you could do the things in the short list, and create electromagnetic radiation without directly controlling EM, as well as generate flames. If that's your intention then I'm pretty excited. It might also give you power over chemical reactions, because such bonds involve electrons. What about the ability to break bonds by touch, like a shatter spell? It could allow a fissure-in-ground magic at a high level?

If Light doesn't let you generate light, but only control already existing photons, that could have very interesting implications for how the power works. The beam idea could involve taking the light of all the torches in a room, and making it coherent to form a laser. That would be awesome, because the animation for it would involve the room going completely dark, then a beam interacting with dust in the air, and a flash on the target. Or, maybe the room gets darker the more powerful the ability is. However, that would require a lot of light to be deadly, so it would make more sense for quickly blinding targets. A similar ability outside, during the day, could involve the world going dim, while the target gets very bright and quickly sets on fire, like a bug under a magnifying glass; higher levels could be faster or more intense. Another aspect would be that Light masters might prefer carrying a very bright lantern at all times. I can imagine this making for a perfect Green Lantern analog! Realistically, invisibility would also make you immune to beam attacks, and the ability to turn photons back on yourself would allow you to stay warm even in the coldest environments, in addition to other augmented heating and cooling. The Light version of cooling would likely be slower and less intense than the Energy version, but Light heating could be more deadly.

What if the nature of Body is really an Energy-Mind hybrid, involving energetic and spiritual adjustment, in some subtle and not so subtle ways. It could all be about making the body think it is or isn't damaged in different ways, as well as accelerating and decelerating life processes. This could be vaguely similar to how Necromancy involves Mind, and in turn skeletons seem to use a whole lot of Force. Cure wound could be reversed to open and putrefy a wound, or cure or cause burns. It could be a cross between Acupuncture and Laying of Hands. This ties back to Displacement, because Mind can dominate spirit, and such an ability would be critical in overcoming a person's innate defense against direct metaphysical tampering of their body.

I touched one some proposals for Mind, and it being outright metaphysics appeals to me most. Having enlightenment effect Thaumaturgical strength is inspired, and I love calling the spirit leaving the body Ascension. But, correct me if I'm mistaken, it sounds like the spirits which are more enlightened are more easily diverted from Ascension; perhaps the description should involve something about Ascension itself causing alteration of a persons spirit by proximity, rather than it being spiritual vampirism? It could allude to gaining a stronger glimpse of metaphysical perfection--the afterlife--the more perfect the Ascending soul.

I liked the description of growing Force ability in the Kickstarter description. It mostly had to do with creating fields of force at close range for defense, but one thing I noticed missing was focusing the force into a smaller area. Doing that would allow you to punch holes in things at a distance, as if you had a gun, or create force blades at closer ranges. Another interesting aspect would be Forcing yourself, or a mount, to move faster. This could make Body and Force both highly effective unarmed combat specialties.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.