Put in a saving function ASAP

J.G. Elmslie

Insider
Well, you do believe the game's combat engine, the main selling point of Exanima, is a train wreck. You don't have to leave unless you really want to torture yourself with the game's obviously crappy combat system.
Or maybe I'd like to use my experience, as a former professional developer who's worked on AAA titles, small dev teams, and tiny startups alike. Plus my experience as a professional historian and craftman, who's spent a decade of my life studying medieval martial arts techniques for real, And I'd like to take those skills, and contribute to a game I firmly believe is a diamond in the rough, and help improve the quality of the product in such ways that SG could become a hit, which actually breaks even, with excellent visuals and unique kinematic motion, fantastic combat mechanics, and tough but rewarding gameplay.

I beleive that the combat system is a trainwreck, because I've spilt blood and shed bucketloads of sweat learning how the real stuff works, and there are subtle elements which do not gel - the most obvious being that there's a disconnect between movement of the foot, and movement of the hip, which produces torque - in the words of one of the English fencing masters, "time of the hand" and "time of the foot". there's a disconnect between those two times currently.
And I firmly believe that with work, that can be rectified, and create a combat system which feels visceral, physical, incredibly connected and controlled, and which would be far better than it is currently, for ALL players.

That's why I'm backing this product. Because I want to see it succeed.

Elaxter

Insider
Well this is just a video game. And it is just 2015. It wasn't that long ago that we were playing with just 8-bit pixels. Your track record is impressive and I will never match it. I'm sorry I doubted you or insulted you.

Might I ask what AAA titles you've worked on? I'm mighty curious.

Oh and btw. Saying that the combat is a train wreck given what it is now, and all the blood, sweat and tears that the devs put into is a tad bit offensive, don't ya think?

J.G. Elmslie

Insider
no need to apologise, Elaxter. we all have our opinions.
(also my apologies if that reply was a little bit sharp.)

and opinions are like arseholes, most are full of shit.... And that very much includes mine - which may well be entirely unsuited to the game in the long run. But I'd like to think I have a pretty unique skill-set when it comes to digital media and arms and armour, that I can use to benefit something for this.

I'm one of those critical bastards who picks holes in work, and always feels there's room for improvement - but importantly, I pick holes, and I then propose solutions. People who go "this is shit" and complain, without bringing useful contribution as well are dead weight. So I always work to give constructive criticism that could improve an under-performing area of the design whenever I can. this is no different to any other product in that regard.)

And that is why, while I'm critical of combat mechanics, I'll explain what the particular areas I see are problematic are, and I'll do my best to provide more in-depth design solutions and alterations over time.

As for my CV of past titles, if you really must know, throw me a PM. I'd rather not give details publicly, as I'm sure you'll understand.

Elaxter

Insider
Glad we got this settled. I respect your opinions and am refreshed to see someone who actually critiques from a real life angle instead of blindly bashing.

NachoDawg

Well, you guys got your checkpoint system you've been crying for.

Quit acting like babies about it. Oooh, playing a video game is so taxing on my soul! Don't sit there and play multiple attempts in one sitting and expect everything to be dandy. I myself spread out my attempts by a couple of days and I have yet to feel what you're feeling. Why is that?
You win the award for sass, good sir

the_grim

I dont mind dying.

What I mind, is dying, and it going all the way back to the start, and having to do the same damn thing all over again. Pick up the torch, go through the door, turn right, etc etc etc.
You've vocalized my feelings spot on! I don't mind permadeath in principle, but whether it's a constructive game mechanic or not really depends on the layout and build of the game. Permadeath doesn't work in a rigidly scripted, story-driven game (such as Exanima) nearly as well as it does in a somewhat randomized, open-world survival game (such as The Long Dark).

It's the experience after death that dictates whether starting again is satisfactory or not. When you die and you feel like you're being punished by having to drudge through the same starting rooms again, it's not prone to increase your motivation to keep playing. So far I've survived in Exanima for so (relatively) short periods of time I can only imagine what it feels like to lose several hours of progress and character development, and start again in the same room.

Sorry for hammering in the same example, but it's pretty much my only other experience with permadeath so far... In The Long Dark, when you die you feel like a story arc has come to an end. It's a defeat, but by starting a new game you start a new story, instead of replaying the same one. It's emergent storytelling: there's no scripted plot that you follow, but instead the gameplay drafts a story about you, a lone survivor, narrowly escaping wolf attacks, limping to safety and warmth in a freezing blizzard, only to starve to death in the middle of the night while your lantern sputters out. Another try produces a differently nuanced story, although in the same setting.

What I've gathered from Sui Generis, the death and revival mechanic might work very well. When you die - and you will die - it would be excellent to start another story, make alternative choices and explore the open world from a new angle. It could be an experience with longevity and replay value; a collection of story arcs and character developments instead of continuously grinding the same story path over and over again.

Although it's fun to try new tactics in Exanima, experiment with different play styles and generally have fun with the zombies and the environment, it's not this kind of a diversely enjoyable experience in its current form.

Nomad

Or maybe I'd like to use my experience, as a former professional developer who's worked on AAA titles, small dev teams, and tiny startups alike. Plus my experience as a professional historian and craftman, who's spent a decade of my life studying medieval martial arts techniques for real, And I'd like to take those skills, and contribute to a game I firmly believe is a diamond in the rough, and help improve the quality of the product in such ways that SG could become a hit, which actually breaks even, with excellent visuals and unique kinematic motion, fantastic combat mechanics, and tough but rewarding gameplay.

I beleive that the combat system is a trainwreck, because I've spilt blood and shed bucketloads of sweat learning how the real stuff works, and there are subtle elements which do not gel - the most obvious being that there's a disconnect between movement of the foot, and movement of the hip, which produces torque - in the words of one of the English fencing masters, "time of the hand" and "time of the foot". there's a disconnect between those two times currently.
And I firmly believe that with work, that can be rectified, and create a combat system which feels visceral, physical, incredibly connected and controlled, and which would be far better than it is currently, for ALL players.

That's why I'm backing this product. Because I want to see it succeed.
Now Im curious of which games you have worked on?
I too study seveal martial arts (started with iaido, akido, krav maga) but I have always loved medieval weapons. Today it's almost only German Longsword. (But Im gonna look into more spear, staff and polearms fighting. And luckly the longbow is still praticed in UK) Wish is a big reason Im so interested in a game like this - it really has potential. I was to see a hard and tough gameplay, but also fair.

I don't think the combat is bad at all, in fact the best I have seen in a long time. But you are right about the disconnecting. It not really possible to swing and "step in" quick and smoothly, but it's the only game where combat looks realistic - stumble, falling westling and just that "mess" full plate fights can look like. (if you don't look too close)

Nomad

I'd much rather be known for the work I create today, than the stuff I made in the 2000's.
I understand. Im planing to make medieval weapons in the furture. I have forged some knives. But since I don't have a forge (need room) I only work with wood and and leatherworks.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.