PvP and Multiplayer PvE

hredthel

Insider
I have a question for the Devs:
Will the intended multiplayer for Sui Generis be:
1. Focused on Dueling/Battleground PvP?
2. CoOp PvP such as Raids, Quests etc...?
3. Or possibly a fantastic mixture of it all?

I understand that you intend to implement a multiplayer system, and I'm very excited about that! If it's not to early (or rude) to ask, I'd like to get a thread going to see what everyone's thoughts and ideas are on the subject, and hopefully get some feedback from the staff when they have time!

coo_snake

Very interested about that aspect as well, I'm particularly hoping for some good and fun CoOp!

As much freedom as possible in CoOp to play with a partner, I've been on the lookout for a game like this!
This game looks like it could be a massive coop experience, where you can elaborate combat strategies in a really fun fashion!

Madoc

Project Lead
The idea is that you and your friends drop your characters in a (persistent) world instance and just do whatever you want. Whether you cooperate or duel or whatever else is entirely up to you. Even if you are cooperating a stray swing of your friend's weapon will still hurt, thaumaturgy affects everything etc. We want AI whether for combat, dialogue or anything else to function in relation to groups as well as individuals (the two things can be conceptually abstracted by AI). Even in single player you may be able to join, lead or form bands of mercenaries, for example.

If and when we introduce online elements we plan to to allow forming smaller parties for online play and introduce some more global elements such as PvP arenas with spectating players.

Fenlig

Insider
I'd love to make just a huge world and play the game just like DayZ, add hunger and thirst with limited weapons through out the world. Have people running about and laying traps/ambushes for each other. When you die your character is gone.

Im so excited about this game. I'm gonna have to double my pledge!

coo_snake

The idea is that you and your friends drop your characters in a (persistent) world instance and just do whatever you want. Whether you cooperate or duel or whatever else is entirely up to you. Even if you are cooperating a stray swing of your friend's weapon will still hurt, thaumaturgy affects everything etc. We want AI whether for combat, dialogue or anything else to function in relation to groups as well as individuals (the two things can be conceptually abstracted by AI). Even in single player you may be able to join, lead or form bands of mercenaries, for example.

If and when we introduce online elements we plan to to allow forming smaller parties for online play and introduce some more global elements such as PvP arenas with spectating players.
Well I'm excited to say the least! Hope everything goes well!

hredthel

Insider
Thanks for the reply everyone!
@Madoc:
Still super excited! It sounds like you are not limiting yourself and that will be awesome!
The online element sounds fun as well (if it's implemented). Still pledging more when the next paycheck comes around.

The moment I went from liking SG to loving SG was when I heard multiplayer coop was considered. I know it's not definite but I'm glad BME wants to incorporate it. I was appalled that Project Eternity did not include it.

BlackCore

Insider
Am myself a very big competitive PvP player

A reward system would also look nice but nothing too gimmicky something that may add to being competitive like a win/loss system (or just number of victory’s I’ve never like loss’s from learning or enjoying PvP).

Most games have a ranking system some are good some are bad.

Maybe at a certain ranks you can have advanced armours (lighter/stronger) or aesthetics like having a cape or stylised gear.

Am also interested in team warfare like capture and hold, 4 team combat (4 groups vs. each other last team alive wins) and even clan/guild fights (Guild wars at its earlier times did this well).

Am myself a very big competitive PvP player

A reward system would also look nice but nothing too gimmicky something that may add to being competitive like a win/loss system (or just number of victory’s I’ve never like loss’s from learning or enjoying PvP).

Most games have a ranking system some are good some are bad.

Maybe at a certain ranks you can have advanced armours (lighter/stronger) or aesthetics like having a cape or stylised gear.

Am also interested in team warfare like capture and hold, 4 team combat (4 groups vs. each other last team alive wins) and even clan/guild fights (Guild wars at its earlier times did this well).
I think it should simply be PvP (in the PvP areas or whatever) but there are monsters around that you can kill. You can level up a bit with those and then go fight people. The reward can simply be an arbitrary leader-board position and whatever was on your enemies body. That would discourage high level players running around and smacking level one'rs in the head with their mace and encourage fighting those who are at or above your skill set. When you take their things you can then either wear it or just go sell it to buy more stuff.

So it's the next step from magicka without the chaos the magic actually causes in that game.
Friendly fire for the win!

CarChuckSG

I'd love to make just a huge world and play the game just like DayZ, add hunger and thirst with limited weapons through out the world. Have people running about and laying traps/ambushes for each other. When you die your character is gone.

Im so excited about this game. I'm gonna have to double my pledge!
I agree 101% with you

I don't, I don't think it should end up being a scavenging sim. I am not completely against the idea of food and drink, but unless the game is on a 1:1 scale of time with the real world or unless it is optional like in New Vegas I dislike it. The only one I can really support is a sleep meter, so if you end up just waking up a barracks of guards or something by accident they will be all groggy and clumsy trying to take you down.

hredthel

Insider
I don't, I don't think it should end up being a scavenging sim. I am not completely against the idea of food and drink, but unless the game is on a 1:1 scale of time with the real world or unless it is optional like in New Vegas I dislike it. The only one I can really support is a sleep meter, so if you end up just waking up a barracks of guards or something by accident they will be all groggy and clumsy trying to take you down.
Does your idea include a performance effect if your character has not slept for days? It's not like you would be able to fight efficiently anyhow.

Yes, and maybe sometimes dropping to sleep. Though if they did this there would have to be some sort of adrenaline, as I am sick of games with a sleep meter where I drop to sleep in the middle of a fire fight.

hredthel

Insider
In Daggerfall, you would pass out if your fatigue bar ran out. If you were in a hostile area: that was it for you and your adventures. I always loved that feature for its realism, and would love to see something like it implemented in rpg's in general.

Psygnosis

Supporter
When a friend of mine spammed the link on Kickstarter of this game on steam and watched the trailers, info, etc etc, i was like O_O

Now it's the same stuff while i'm reading those ideas - damn hype :p

Ok, maybe it's too soon to talk about this, since first - obviously - the team focus on the main Game, but here we go :

- I quote all the first post : Multiplayer with PvE / PvP should be really epic !

- " 3. Or possibly a fantastic mixture of it all? " : yes ! the mixture will be the key... i mean : Sui Generis reminded me of Neverwinter Nights and the classic hack 'n slash games... but NwN the most... why? Because after the view of the videos, the first thing came up in my head was : " OMG SHARDS ?! "

Yeah ! You read it ! SHARDS ! The Devs said there gonna be the support for the mods / tool kit in the future, so if ppl can work with this stuff, they can create a custom World, with npc, dungeon, quests, buildings, weapons and every single thing you can fit in this kind of games, so that's why Shards could be the right Mixture !

DM will handle the Quests, Events, PvP, Arena Tournaments with Judges and many other things ! All done by Roleplaying ! Like you do it in Neverwinter Nights online shards, as said before !

So all those ideas for PvE (scouting around, exploring dungeons, have a talk with npc controlled by DM) and PvP (duels, conquering castles / zones, etc etc) will simply fit all togheter in one solution ! Players can choose what to do and have fun in a lots of way !

Tony Dye

Insider
Once the single player is made, and assuming it's successful, I can tell you that the NWN-style persistent world community has an experienced oldschool friend on the Team. :)

Single player first, though! Other features will come in time, with quality and fun as the dual focus.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.