Sausage rolls

RobG

Insider
Hi!

Just a quick comment from me about falling over, it feels a little like watching a movie of my guy painstakingly fall then stand up, seemingly unaware of the sledge hammer advancing rapidly on his being. Every other aspect of controlling my guy I've grown accustom too and actually really enjoy. I've had to restart a few times though because of how devastating these attacks are once I'm grounded.

I know devs feelings on rolls, but surely like a sideways 'sausage roll' (as people seemed to call them when I was a kid) could be a decent answer? or potentially a way to leap back up quickly, with a well timed press or click of something? or even a ground attack to try and stagger the enemy before they can strike. It would be nice to have a chance of avoiding the damage and keep that really nice tight feeling of control the game gives otherwise.

Murf

It would be nice to have a chance of avoiding the damage and keep that really nice tight feeling of control the game gives otherwise.

I don't know, I am kind of torn. I like the fact that if you screw up and fall down, that pretty much seals your fate.

tiny lampe

Insider
I agree.

Right now, falling on the ground implies losing control of your character. As a result, the player is reduced to a mere spectator that is basically praying for his character to somehow manage to stand up safely. That's quite inconsistent with a game that relies so heavily on player skill.

To be fair, it's true that if your character suddenly finds himself on the ground it's your fault and only your fault. However, I agree with Rob and I too would like to see being knocked down as a 'nasty situation whose outcome I can influence with my input' as opposed to a 'nasty situation whose outcome depends on pure luck'.

Building on Rob's suggestion, I would propose the following:

While your character is knocked down, he doesn't automatically attempt to stand up. Instead, you can make him perform the following actions:

a) Hold left/right button and he will perform a full 'sausage roll' (360º) to the left/right. Useful for dodging incoming overhead attacks. Tap left/right button instead and he will perform half a roll (180ª). Useful for going from face down position to face up position.
b) Hold back button to create distance between you and your opponent by moving away from him.
c) Hold forward button to make your character attempt to stand up.
d) Use the attack button(s) to attack as usual but from your currently less advantageous position.

Murf

Here is an older post from Madoc regarding rolling. not just wether it is a good combat move, the technical aspect of it. This is a physics based game, objects affect other objects. Could see this being a nightmare to overcome.

As for rolling we have considered it but this is something that would need some testing. Your weapons and anything else you're wearing would indeed not just go through the ground in our game, it could get messy.
heh, found this quote too, adding it just because. A little humility never hurt hehe

Don't forget we're not designing this game around the idea that you should be able to beat anything you encounter, combat will be utterly ruthless. Enemies do their absolute best to kill you before you kill them, they don't purposefully do stupid things or not take advantage of situations so that you can win. They will vary in tactical skill and less skilled opponents will make mistakes but generally you should consider yourself on an even playing field, they play by the same exact rules as you and AI provides the same inputs. If we achieve what we want then an NPC might be almost indistinguishable from a human player in combat and our best AI will be able to beat the best players in an even fight.

Madoc

Project Lead
We would like to introduce something you can do about being helpless on the ground, we're just not entirely sure what yet and everything that requires any kind of animation in this game requires a truly massive amount of work. Basically it's not something we've invested time in yet.

"Sausage rolls" (can you say that without it sounding funny?) is one of the things we might try and it doesn't sound all that difficult. This is not the kind of rolling we object to, that would be using "ninja rolls" to avoid attacks in combat. No.

Pancakez54

Insider
We would like to introduce something you can do about being helpless on the ground, we're just not entirely sure what yet and everything that requires any kind of animation in this game requires a truly massive amount of work. Basically it's not something we've invested time in yet.

"Sausage rolls" (can you say that without it sounding funny?) is one of the things we might try and it doesn't sound all that difficult. This is not the kind of rolling we object to, that would be using "ninja rolls" to avoid attacks in combat. No.
That would actually require a lotta stuff to do. First of all, you're going to have to figure out how to make the character roll without getting their limbs stuck and/or flailing around wildly D:

RobG

Insider
yes, I totally appreciate this now, I do regret some of my early comments on the game, considering how much enjoyment I've gotten from it since, and cool to hear sausage rolling is being considered :D

@Murf I know what you mean, there is something a bit poetic and awesome about being slung to the floor and beaten down on, yes I feel like I deserve it most, if not all the time. However its the one time I wish my guy would just grab the bastard by the ankles and show him how it feels, there is just something a bit unnatural about how the char stands up at present, without reacting to the obvious danger.

Hemectu

Insider
Well obviously if you find yourself in this position you'd naturally drop a shield or large weapon.
You may be able to hold onto a sword.
A 2 Handed Sword or Bardiche? Forget it, you'd let go of that handle in order to roll out of the way of the incoming blow.

RobG

Insider
Well obviously if you find yourself in this position you'd naturally drop a shield or large weapon.
A 2 Handed Sword or Bardiche? Forget it, you'd let go of that handle in order to roll out of the way of the incoming blow.
I was thinking that too, dropping items could be a nice way to trade off the fact you are avoiding damage and still make it a very bad situation.

Tony

Insider
I don't think it would be all that difficult to roll with most larger weapons. It would require readjusting the hold on the weapon to brace it close to your body but doing so is a feasible and realistic option.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.