Saving

Tripleni

Hi guys,
Ive read there will be no saving and loading option. I dont want to play 60 hours without closing the game. Will the game continue after closing it?

iseijin

Insider
Yes, the game saves when you end playing. So you can load your game next time you play. It's just that there is no option to make savegames yourself while playing, so you could load a previous state of the game. This way you cannot change what has happened and have to live with all the consequences of what you did or what has happened.

It saves all the time, so that you can't attempt something, fail, and try again. Death means you'll respawn elsewhere, instead of re-loading. This gives more permanency and impact to your choices.

So to clarify, the game isn't perma-death, and if you leave the game, and launch it again, you can carry on with your game.

But please, try to look for an answer before making a new thread, it's not a huge issue, but I'm sure that the information is somewhere.

Actually, the two of you seem to have given different answers. Does the game save when you exit? or does it save continuously?

If it just saved when you exited, you could exit the game, duplicate the save files, and then overwrite them if anything bad happened in your playing session. This would not be possible if it saved constantly. Then again, I'm not sure if constant saving would be feasible for as complex a game as Sui Generis.

iseijin

Insider
I think i read a post of one of the developers where he said that it saves continuously, else the progress would get lost in case of a power blackout.

Either way how it saves it will be possible for someone to find out how to corrupt the system and make savegame copies.

Komuflage

Insider
Actually, the two of you seem to have given different answers. Does the game save when you exit? or does it save continuously?

If it just saved when you exited, you could exit the game, duplicate the save files, and then overwrite them if anything bad happened in your playing session. This would not be possible if it saved constantly. Then again, I'm not sure if constant saving would be feasible for as complex a game as Sui Generis.
Kinda think it'll be similar to DS. Game saves after, entering area, exiting game, changing weapons, going through inventory and hidden "checkpoints"

Tony

Insider
Kinda think it'll be similar to DS. Game saves after, entering area, exiting game, changing weapons, going through inventory and hidden "checkpoints"
I'm thinking it will be more of just a persistent world. Similar to what a game like Terraria uses. The game's state is just automatically saved periodically (regardless of what you are doing) and also saved upon exit. That way every time you load the game up the world is in the same state as you left it. I highly doubt there will be "checkpoints" since there would be too many variables to consider.

Komuflage

Insider
I highly doubt there will be "checkpoints" since there would be too many variables to consider.
In lack of better words. But for instance, killing a enemy could be a checkpoint. Walking into a new room could be a checkpoint, dying and so on.

There need to be something that tells the game when it should save, so it doesn't save in the middle of a boss fight for instance.

Tony

Insider
In lack of better words. But for instance, killing a enemy could be a checkpoint. Walking into a new room could be a checkpoint, dying and so on.

There need to be something that tells the game when it should save, so it doesn't save in the middle of a boss fight for instance.
I disagree. I think the game should save in the middle of a boss fight (I doubt there will be typical "bosses" in SG but I know what you mean) if that is what you are currently doing. In Terraria when the game saves it is seamless and doesn't cause lag or other performance issues. If you try and quit Sui Generis during a boss fight you should load right back in where you left off. This will prevent people from simply exiting the game every time they encounter something difficult. If the game auto-saved every minute or so (by overwriting the same game file so it wouldn't take a lot of space on your hard drive), and also upon exit, you couldn't exploit it by trying to exit before certain events took place. I don't think the save system should be tied to the actions of the character.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Either way how it saves it will be possible for someone to find out how to corrupt the system and make savegame copies.
I can think of a few ways to get around that (which may or may not be suitable), so I'm sure that BM can think of some too, that is if they really want to stop people from being able to get around that. Such ideas shouldn't be publicly shared though - once the exact method is known, there will almost always be a way to get around it!

Komuflage

Insider
I disagree. I think the game should save in the middle of a boss fight (I doubt there will be typical "bosses" in SG but I know what you mean) if that is what you are currently doing. In Terraria when the game saves it is seamless and doesn't cause lag or other performance issues. If you try and quit Sui Generis during a boss fight you should load right back in where you left off. This will prevent people from simply exiting the game every time they encounter something difficult. If the game auto-saved every minute or so (by overwriting the same game file so it wouldn't take a lot of space on your hard drive), and also upon exit, you couldn't exploit it by trying to exit before certain events took place. I don't think the save system should be tied to the actions of the character.
But if the game saves every minute. you could easily exploit that as well. Simply, after the game saved, you got 1 minute to talk to a NPC, and try to get the "right" options. If you fail, restart.
Same thing goes for fights as well, since I'm guessing most will be under 1 minute.

Tony

Insider
But if the game saves every minute. you could easily exploit that as well. Simply, after the game saved, you got 1 minute to talk to a NPC, and try to get the "right" options. If you fail, restart.
Same thing goes for fights as well, since I'm guessing most will be under 1 minute.
How will you restart? If you exit the game and restart it the game would save upon exit. You'd start exactly where you left off. There is no reload option so how do you propose we restart to exploit this?

How will you restart? If you exit the game and restart it the game would save upon exit. You'd start exactly where you left off. There is no reload option so how do you propose we restart to exploit this?
Alt-F4 and the task manager are your friends in matters like this.
No time for the game to save. Let people exploit if they wish to do so. It's singleplayer anyway.

And if we ever get multiplayer, server-side saves would be the solution I suppose.

Tony

Insider
Alt-F4 and the task manager are your friends in matters like this.
No time for the game to save. Let people exploit if they wish to do so. It's singleplayer anyway.

And if we ever get multiplayer, server-side saves would be the solution I suppose.
Yes, I am aware of force closing or crashing the application. I'm sure people could also modify the game files to further tweak things if they so desired (I can think of about ten other ways to revert the save file too). What I was saying is that using the game as intended (via the game menus and what not) you would not be able to go back and redo anything.

Last edited:
I think the terraria analogy is the best one. It works in almost the same way, in that the world's state is saved regularly and on exit. As is the characters. You can quit and load another world with the same character or a different character (whether items are carried over I don't know). Then, you can come back to the original world, and it carries on from when you quit.

There are no quick saves, and each world only has the one save file. That way, everything that happens, happens. Unlike TES games for example.

Exploiting this would be kinda pointless, as not much will be scripted, so seeing good and bad dialogue choices may not even be a thing. And I can see a lot of combat situations lasting well over a minute.

Omenov

Insider
Again I'm replying to an old post because I'm excited!!

The way I understand this is just like a MMO you log out your right where you left off. You die and respawn but the game does not revert back to a state before you died the world is still moving forward. The only difference I can see from a MMO is that when you log out in SG the game stops progressing so two days later ( like any of us can wait that long between play sessions) it is in the same state you left it in and then the world moves forward again. There is just no going back and redoing anything. If that ogre kills you you can go try again but it's not the same fight again maybe he left or maybe he has friends now. Keeps the game fresh and what you do or don't do makes a difference. Like in RL. You want to hit your boss in the mouth so you think hey if this dosent go well ill just reload and maybe not do that. In SG and RL you do it and deal with the consequences and you'll never know what might have happened had you done a different choose. I spend more time correcting auto correct then I do typing geesh!!!

Un1ver5al

I like this feature, it will save me about 40+ hours of useless gameplay! Also its a move toward a stable multiplayer gaming system in persistent detailed world.

Raelmic

All i know is that i need more checkpoints, I am obviously not a great player, but i love this game, and would like to complete a level, but since i am as clumsy as an ox, i get killed somewhere in the first level every time, usually near the beginning.

Greenbrog

Insider
Level 1 will have another and after
the portal
you'll be able to hard save your character. It's in the next patch, with a close but unknown eta; it's been delayed a few times.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Uhhm you will get 1 extra checkpoint early in the first level and 1 more where the game currently ends. After that there are no more checkpoints planned at all last i heard. Don't get what you mean by being able to ''hard save''(being able to save multiple characters ?).

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.