Scouting

The world is harsh and while not everything will be out to kill, I would rather be able to discern such interest from the travelers I come across. So why not the ability to scout?
With the world view presented from the sky, all we are able to see is roughly what can be fit on screen. Zooming may enhance this scope but even that has it's limits. My suggestion is some sort of mechanic that allows a first-person view while your character's position is fixed. The most apparent solution is a pair of binoculars or some lens-contraption (depends on what fits in the world).
However, beyond the ability to view the land from a horizontal perspective, I haven't come up with many more uses for such a device. Perhaps simply to admire the landscape. We have such a beautiful sky box and the sun-rise/set looks such a sight to behold. Why waste these pleasures trying to adhere to strict isometric perspectives? Additionally, the device might be useful in scouting landmarks or, as I started the thread, getting a peak on other wanderers.

In short, I would love a much more down to earth view of the world.
Truly, the world being created here is too much to be confined to a box above our heads.

Erian

Insider
There is often quite a limit there, relating to visual "artefact", showing when view is set over something else than base view angle(s).

This said, if possible, yes, that would be quite interesting, as it would also allow for room search to be quite more efficients (writing room, any area in fact, viewing from up, quite hard to spot all (that said, the devellopers did take it in count as items are (so far) always (?) placed as to be at last somewhat seen as it is.

To be seen.

I believe Madoc very explicitly stated "No first person EVER" :c
However I understand the decision and respect their vision, it has never disappointed me thus far.
I still think some form of scouting would be very beneficial in the full Sui Generis game. Instead of completely switching your perspective, which sounds a little ridiculous in hindsight, maybe a lens device could allow the camera to be panned away from the character within a limited distance. Still a long shot I think, but I would love additional input.
Sorta forgot I posted this as nobody ever posted on it, until now ;)

burgzaza

Insider
Why not a thaumaturgic power, for example in the Mind abilities. See trough the eyes of living creature for a brief moment, and so gather some quick information of what's going on there. With a downside, your own body is defenseless while you do that, and maybe it could alert an other thaumaturge if there are one around, so he could gather some guards and investigate :p
Could it work ?

Changing perspective would be very strange imo, I'm not sure.

ZaratanCho

Insider
Here's a quote about first person
What you say Tony is pretty much spot on. Games tend to have very mechanical control systems and character movements, a first person view would be confusing and feel unresponsive. And yes, rendering stuff for a first person or isometric view are very different in terms of requirements and methods.

Probably the most important thing though is that the mouse is used to control your character, not the camera. The entire fluidity and fine grained control in the combat would be lost with another view. Isometric views also give you a much clearer idea of what's going on and a good tactical overview. This also goes for viewing and interacting with your environment.

While first person views might be considered more immersive ultimately it's like being half deaf and looking at the world through a tiny shaking window (monitor, no peripheral vision) with one eye (no depth perception), turning around frantically trying to get a sense for your surroundings. Works great for some forms of gameplay but...
The idea sounds cool, but it can have big effect on gameplay, and not a good one. ;d Sounds pretty complicated to do well.
maybe a lens device could allow the camera to be pan away from the character within a limited distance.
That sounds more viable.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.