Spears

Hylda

I would love for spears to be added to the practice arena, would help a lot for people to practice with them without fear of death to their characters in the new arena. Currently Ive just been using the basic polearm in the Expert arena to try and get a feel for it, but it just isnt the same.

Cant wait for more spears to be added as well.

spears can be improved but I disagree with the spears being under-powered. a short spear shouldn't be the end all be all for weapons. And the point of thrusting is that it can be done precisely. for example, when I fight the tall armored skele-warrior on lvl 3, I thrust at his unprotected thighs. thrusts directed at the thighs are useful for opponents with shields too. you can get in right underneath their defense.

I scored a 1 hit kill on a zombie while thrusting with the proctor's sword. I did it by crouching first, thrusting at the face and rising from the crouch as i lunged forward. it is a hard maneuver to pull off but, it puts some mustard on the thrust. I've done the same thing with the maul. it works well and sometimes knocks zombies off their feet.

thrusting works really well as a game mechanic. I think most of you (calling spears weak) disagree with the weapons' ratings. those can always be adjusted later or better weapons can be added.

said

I tried to use spears (the plain spear) in the arena for an hour or so.

I think right now they are kinda weak. I mean compared to real life. Its too easy to lose control and lose the distance and unlike a real spear you cant thrust rapidly so its too easy to get into the effective range and hit the spear user. Not to mention it is a piece of cake to parry it with a knife. So swinging it around like a retard works better than thrusting for now.

Although frankly I don't know what can be done to fix it without breaking the rest of the combat mechanics.

Maybe if the thrust are more rapid and if it has has more chance to get through parry it may work better. As a downside it may not be able to hit or block at all within a certain distance.

MindSliver

I think that one of the main difficulties with certain attack strategies in Exanima comes from the ready position you start from. at the moment most two handed weapons have one of two stances. either left hand forward or right hand forward but always with the left foot forward and no particular guard chosen, just kind of holding like a sword, not readied for anything in particular.

The problem is that enable to ready it for ANYTHING you have to wind up... with the spears this is a major problem because your arms are swinging laterally when you start. With the physics playing on it the spear swings a little bit here and there like a log between two ropes... this does two things. 1 your stab is very slow to pull off because you have to wind up before you can thrust. and 2 makes it fairly inaccurate. I think once we've got a few different stances things could be much better.

A dedicated spear stance is a must where one can thrust (like you do) without having to pull back and lurch forward. I would love to see a "Pool Cue" shot where you're pushing with the rear hand and letting the spear slide through the lead hand to get maximum extension with zero windup.

Last edited:

ThornEel

While we're at it, is there a plan for spear + shield? It was a pretty common combination for most of history - though mostly in the antiquity, I've heard. Does it still make sense in a medieval setting?

said

A dedicated spear stance is a must where one can thrust (like you do) without having to pull back and lurch forward. I would love to see a "Pool Cue" shot where you're pushing with the rear hand and letting the spear slide through the lead hand to get maximum extension with zero windup.
I like this approach. Fits much better to the current gameplay than what I can imagine.

And while we are talking about thrusts in general, I would love to see a thrust with a two handed sword that is not half-swording.

Don Kanaille

Insider
While we're at it, is there a plan for spear + shield? It was a pretty common combination for most of history - though mostly in the antiquity, I've heard. Does it still make sense in a medieval setting?
Absolutely. It was the main battle weapon combination of infantry way into the middle ages until it was eventually replaced by two-handed polearm formations like halberds, and later, pikes.

Reynald

For what it's worth, I used spear all the way from novice to expert with great results. Thrust fully, immediately follow with dash, and keep the reticule over where your target will be by the end of your thrust. Practice thrusting plates and cups off of tables. Pugilism is also good practice. Move around and watch your footwork... You can get to the point where you'll dome-shot an enemy effortlessly. It's a devastating attack with an incredibly quick windup, the ability to "drag" around shields, and of course, unparalleled control. I've been able to consistently get kills by targeting just the feet, or just the lower abdomen. The only time I swung around was to create distance for more of the ol' in and out, in and out.

Don Kanaille

Insider
And pikes? Would like to empale someone ;p
Pikes are overly long and really only work in military formations, where you can present the enemy with a wall of pikes several rows deep. They are borderline useless in other kinds of combat so for your impaling needs you should stick to a spear.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.