Sword Academy

Espadon

Hello everyone, I decided that it would be nice to create a topic where people can share their tricks, observations, exercises and other things related to the battle. It will be convenient if all the fencing information is collected in one place. Maybe then we'll even do our own Martial arts manual, fechtbuch;)

I think here you can enter as general information intended for beginners, as well as advice from masters. I know there are many very experienced players here, and it would be great if they share their skills.

If a similar topic already exists, then I'm sorry.

Espadon

Let me start.
I found that the character blocks attacks better when he is slightly turned towards the blow. Therefore, while blocking the strike, do not hold the cursor directly on the opponent, but shift it by 15-20 degrees in the direction of the strike. If opponent attack from the right, turn right. If you are being attacked from the left, turn left. And if the enemy strikes from above on the head, then look directly at him. The pierce is the hardest to block, I don't know how do it yet.

EXERCISE
Training this skill is pretty easy. Take the weapon you want, one-handed or two-handed. Dress in armor and go to the arena. Enter any battle you want, but with one opponent. And just stand still, trying to survive as long as possible. Turn to block enemy attacks. This is harder than it sounds, opponents will move around you pretty quickly, so you will have to rotate the camera quite a lot.
When you realize that these small movements are already firmly entrenched in your reflexes, then begin to do the same, but in movement. Do not move too far from the enemy, keep at the most convenient distance. Convenient for the enemy. Do not dodge attacks, but block them. Try to simulate a fight, circle around the opponent, move sideways, but do not go far, be always in the affected area.

In addition, I looked at the Polish fencers, who stand almost sideways to the opponent. And this (And also, I will not hide, the post of some person in the discord who had already come up with this before me. Unfortunately, I don’t remember his name) It led me to think of a diagonal stance. A character with one-handed weapon holds it a little to the side. So why not turn your weapon under attack by turning left? Moreover, this is how the left hand retracts behind the body, and there is less chance that the enemy will hit it. Most attacks take place on the left side, so such a stance should provide the best “passive” defense. You just need to always stand a little sideways to the enemy, turning 30-45 degrees to the left. So it becomes harder to attack, from left to right, but from right to left
such a position is even better; you can strike faster with a shorter swing. This is unusual, but I think there is something in this rack. What do you think?

Attachments

Hello, i want to share one of my own findings too.

Basically if you swing Arena Pole Hammer from left to right it not only gains more speed then from right to left swing but also has more chance to hit the Head. I'm guessing that it works with any Pole Weapon. I had one-tapped lotta people like that in the arena (most of them were Experts). Thus i knew Pole Weapons would it be a simple Bill or Bardiche are ultimate.

Excercise:
Not needed at all. But make sure to drag your mouse along your swing too to gain additional weapon-velocity.

It's important to pay attention to how you hold two-handed weapons.

The Arena Pole Hammer is held with the left hand on top, therefore swinging from left to right is much more effective.
The Two-Handed Battle Axe is held with the right hand on top, this makes swinging from right to left more effective.

You can use the Feint skill to set up attacks on your weak side, then swing. This will spare yourself an awkward movement that takes all the momentum out of your attack.

Orkusmorkus

Howdy all, after racking up a fair few hours in the Arena I thought I might take some time to lay out some useful information for the community. I love these kinda threads when getting into a game. Today's topic is:

Crouching in Combat

Yes the magic crouch button. Mapped to the 'C' key by default. Like many I'm sure, I got a long way in exanima without even realizing the crouch key even existed. It's not an essential key for combat by any means. Indeed this guide is intended for those who have mastered all the basic types of attack and movement and want to add an additional layer of complexity and effectiveness to their attacks. In short, a well timed crouch can radically alter the impact and direction of any of your attacking strokes (even thrusts!).

Cons of crouching in combat
Cons first you might ask? Why start here?

Well I'd like to make the point that crouching as you attack is not a no-brainer tactic to success, and you shouldn't try to use it as a quick win button in every situation. There are some drawbacks which we need to consider and will discuss further later:
  1. Balance - pressing the crouch button will affect your balance negatively, which in Exanima means your character will momentarily take longer to respond to commands as they regain their balance. This limits mobility and reduces the rate at which you can dish out attacks/defend yourself. I have even had characters fall over due to a mistimed crouch combined with bad terrain, an enemy strike or just bad luck.
  2. Position - in a crouch position your characters head is brought down into a compromised position in the path of most enemy attacks. In particular chopping attacks are nasty if they connect with your crouching character
For these reasons we crouch only when necessary and only for an instant to achieve the desired effect when attacking.

Let's go through the different styles of attack and how YOU can use the C button to enhance them.

Chopping/overhead attack
This one is perhaps the most obvious so we start here. Force is a function of mass and velocity, so it follows that we need to get our weapon travelling as fast as possible to maximize the damage. The crouch animation in Exanima is particularly fast for some reason, which is a very good thing when we are using it to enhance attacks for a number of reasons. Basically if we crouch when doing an overhead attack, the speed of the crouch animation will be added to the speed of the swinging weapon, and Newton tells us that this is a good thing. However while the swing certainly looks more impressive and tends to lay enemies out a bit more often, you might find the actual extra damage is not that much more.

Anyone experienced at overhead swings will tell you that the most effective swing comes when you initiate it in unison with a lunge forward (some folks also use a sidestep and/or swing the mouse cursor). An overhead swing while standing dead still is often too weak and slow to do anything at all. But what about if your opponent is up in your face , already in perfect range and you just wanna cave their head in with your mace? Lunging forward is just going to get you way too close.

This is where the crouch comes in. We use it in place of a lunge forward in the overhead attack to gain some swinging energy without having to move far, if the enemy is in optimum range already. Like I said the animation is very fast, so you don't need to preempt it too much. Just tap that crouch button when your weapon starts to swing downwards and you'll be cracking heads at point-blanc range in no time.

One other use for this is when your opponent is on the ground and you're trying to pound them with a hammer blow to finish the fight. 1H weapons and shorter 2H weapons sometimes don't strike a target on the ground very well as their overhead swing arc strikes the target right at the end of the arc or not at all, so we can also add a crouch to reduce the hieght of the blow and bring it into contact with a prone opponent, as well as really make them feel it. This can also be applied to horizontal swings (see below).

Swinging attacks (horizontal)

We use the crouch during the standard swing attack not to improve the power, but to change the point of impact. Here the crouching motion works perpendicular to the weapon motion. Adjusting the height at which your attack strikes the opponent has many uses of course, the best probably being that it allows you to strike underneath their guard.

The automatic blocking animations in Exanima don't seem to function as well when your attacks strike at the hips or legs; in particular shields become much easier to avoid when you strike below the bottom lip of the shield itself. You might also notice that most enemies in arena mode generally wear less armour on legs, so even though you're attacking limbs, your hits still do plenty of damage.

To perform a swing crouch attack is quite easy also, again thanks to the fact that the animation is very fast and we don't need to preempt anything. Perform your swing as normal, ideally with a step forward towards your opponent, then (if you can see you're going to connect) hit the crouch button as your weapon is about halfway between the start of the swing animation and hitting your opponent. The fast crouch motion will swing the weapon lower and sneak underneath their paltry attempt to parry.

You'll need to practice the timing a bit to get the best results, depending on what weapon you're swinging. Two-hander swords benefit from a crouch very late in the swing and may hit the ground if you time it wrong, whereas pole weapons tend to hit higher and therefore need the crouch animation a bit earlier.
Crouching during polearm swings can sometimes be very necessary when swinging left to right, if your opponent is very short. Otherwise your giant haymaker blow might end up sailing clean over their head.

Thrusting attack
Crouching during a thrust attack is something I have only recently discovered, so I expect to update this part at some point. I used to think thrusts couldn't mechanically benefit from a crouch, as again the crouch motion is perpendicular to the weapon motion. Furthermore in a thrust, the weapon always stabs at what your cursor is aimed at. So a thrust doesn't change your point of impact much if at all.

However after a lot of trying I found one interesting use. The crouch animation is so fast due to a very rapid bend at the hip that your character performs as soon as you hit the C key. This causes you character to lean forward a small amount and if you time it correctly, actually increases the range you get out of your thrust, because your shoulders move forward. Additionally the crouching motion seems to have a significant amount of power/impact in the game engine, and I find that crouch thrusts with two-handed weapons are likely to push your opponent round as well as injure, sometimes pushing them off their feet.

To perform the crouch thrust you need to hit crouch at the very end of the thrusting animation to max out your range . Crouching during thrusts should be used very sparingly when you're not just clowning around. As thrusting is almost always done while lunging forward it is very easy to lose your balance and fall face first. I find it's only really worth doing with extra long weapons like halberds where you can thrust at the enemy from long range, then give yourself time to recover and block if you miss.

More to come!

Last edited:
Hello!

Here are a few of my findings:
- tapping shortly on the movement buttons results in shorter but faster moves. very helpful for positioning yourself precisely when attacking, thus delivering the most effective blow.
- especially with a long weapon (sword, pole...), attack overhead a little bit on the side of the enemy, then mid-course swing your weapon towards the enemy and further. For example attack a little bit on the right of the enemy, then swing far far far to the left. The enemy will most likely not parry your blow since it's going on the side. Then, by adjusting the mouse, your weapon will go on the knees/foot/leg of the enemy.
- very hard but effective if mastered: if you're able to predict the enemy attack direction soon enough, you can take advantage of it. If they hit overhead, move on the side to dodge their attack while delivering a powerfull one to their head or back. If they hit from the side, move to the other side while hitting back. Be careful because if you miss-predict their attack direction, you might end up doing nothing more than making their blow more powerful by moving towards it.
- crouch while attacking overhead to add power to it, especially for enemies that were previously knocked on the ground

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Remember your lefts and your rights. This sounds stupid basic but at least for me, when I started playing I'd always be moving the wrong direction or constantly trying to bring my camera behind myself and getting stomped in the meantime. I even made a steam guide about this but I don't think anyone took me seriously. The best thing I can recommend is do some practice rounds, and don't touch the camera controls. Once you're not always trying to fiddle with the camera, it gets a lot easier, at least for me.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.