T is for torch

Greenbrog

Insider
2h is better. A 2h sword is just better than a 1h sword. And the argument to not use a torch and 2h weapon at the same isn't arbitrary or gamey. It's a 2h weapon by definition. The argument for special rules for 2h swords vs the rest could be made, but BM said they don't want special rules for certain 2h weapons, and the pole-axe cannot be managed without 2h.

konggary

The best 2h player will not always win against the best 1h player. This is just historically true: if 2h swords were ALWAYS better, then why do 1h even exist? Bigger is not always better- a duel in a cramped hallway will give advantage to the short sword-wielding character.

What I mean is that the player could use the ability to have the 2h equipped and a torch at the same time- it IS "gamey" to deny this. I can feasibly hold a 2h sword, spear, pike, halberd, hammer, etc. on my shoulder with one hand (the character naturally does this...). The other hand? I guess it's chopped off or something, completely unusable until combat. During running? maybe they could balance it so the character runs a bit slower in order to maintain the one-hand grip on the 2h weapon.

As soon as combat starts, well then you need both hands for the weapon. Then what you do with the torch, that's up to the devs.

Greenbrog

Insider
I don't know how to say this stuff different . The end goal here... you're argument is valid, but not enough to out weigh everything else.

If all things are the same other than reach, reach will win. The difference between the arming and long swords are marginal other than the reach. And claiming that irl has both doesn't really pertain. I'm not saying anything in absolute, in a controlled reach wins.

You're starting to whine.
You want because it's inconvenient. It's supposed to be. And your argument that you "can" isn't universally true. Therfore everything MADOC said is still true and valid. You're not wrong, you're just not right enough.

Gsprfdude

I don't know how to say this stuff different . The end goal here... you're argument is valid, but not enough to out weigh everything else.

If all things are the same other than reach, reach will win. The difference between the arming and long swords are marginal other than the reach. And claiming that irl has both doesn't really pertain. I'm not saying anything in absolute, in a controlled reach wins.

You're starting to whine.
You want because it's inconvenient. It's supposed to be. And your argument that you "can" isn't universally true. Therfore everything MADOC said is still true and valid. You're not wrong, you're just not right enough.
Greenbrog you're starting to get disrespectful. The reason we want torches isn't because its neccesarily inconvinient, but because it just makes sense, you have two hands and while not fighting your character only readliy needs one of them to hold the sword on their shoulder. Regardless people seem to think that the ability to hold a torch with a two handed weapon while exploring would make them OP (?). In terms of ability to use the torches, one handed weapons would still hold the advantage. If an enemy attacks you and you drop your torch, its no longer in your hand its on the ground. I've had it happen before where I dropped my torch before equipping my two hander and it got kicked under some piece of furniture that I couldn't move. I hope I don't need to tell you that if you lose your torch you are fucked. If the torch is on the ground then you're also not bringing it with you and if you get attacked by too many enemies and have to back up, then you are leaving behind your light source. If you are using a one handed weapon than the torch is with you the entire time, and you don't have to worry about losing it, or being taken away from it. Finally, if we drop the torch we still have to go and pick it up. We're completely open to attack while we are trying to click on, and stuff the torch back into our inventory. This doesn't happen if you are holding it with a one-handed weapon.

I'm completely for one-handed weapons having the advantage in maneuverability and being able to freely hold the torch in battle, it makes complete sense. However, I don't think that its very reasonable for someone to just not use their other hand at all for holding a torch. The people using one-handed weapons will still be more valid while using a torch, I just don't think the people using two-handed weapons should be counted out. Two-handed weapons have the advantage in most direct combat, but as has already been said they are more cumbersome and less manueverable than one-handed weapons. Which I'm fine with because that's just how physics work. One-Handed weapons facilitate the use of the other hand to use torches, shields, and I'm going to guess other items down the line. Shields are much easier to block with than with a weapon, and I think its a good advantage for one-handed weapons to have over others. One-handed weapons are also better in close quarters compared to two-handed weapons. There have been times where I have been restricted in my movements and not been able to pull my sword back enough in a corridor to deal sufficient damage. I'm all for this as it's accurate to real life and game physics and it gives a clear disadvantage to using two-handers wherever you go.

I'm just trying to state that two-handers have their own share of disadvantages while maintaining some advantages in combat, and vice versa for one-handers. If you really wanted to nerf two-handers my suggestion would be that you have them count towards the encumbrance limit in a way that can't be resisted by skills. I don't think we should be forced into using one handed weapons with a torch just to find our way around the dungeon (I know about the helmet and the thaumaturgy but those are down the line from where you start the game). As far as what madoc was saying about where we draw the line on this I think it should be decided based on when an idea stops being practical (i.e. that shield torch combination someone mentioned is very impractical for all kinds of reasons). You don't need two hands on a weapons when you are carrying it or running around with it, only when you are going to be attacking with it. So I think it's a very practical idea that you can freely hold the torch when you're not in combat mode with the two-handed sword (perhaps entering combat mode automatically makes you drop the torch, instead of adding a whole new hotkey for it?).

I'm all for the devs making all weapons viable in some way, and to an extent they already are. If I had to choose a weapon to bring into smaller confined areas I would defintely choose a one-hander, and In a large uncluttered area I would choose a two-hander. If you have to find ways to limit two-handed weapons because you think they are broken, then I'm fine with the idea of balance. I just don't think that denying the use of torches is the way to go about it. I would recommend the encumbrance idea I mentioned above, and maybe that it's easier to lose control of your two-handed weapons and over extend your swing, leaving you open to be attacked.

Also, Greenbrog I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. If you re-read my post I specifically said that the character tightens their grip on the weapon while running by using the other hand, the point I was making was that such an action isn't really needed and removes use of that hand. And as for what you said about reach winning, I'm sorry but that's just not true. It's very possible for someone using smaller weapons to block and close the distance between two people. At that point the person with the larger weapons isn't able to properly swing their weapon and is now at the disadvantage.

Greenbrog

Insider
Your text wall aside. If you read my previous example associating lacrosse, you need 2 hands more than you'd think.

And madoc already has spoken on the topic twice.

Just because you can sometimes, doesn't mean all the time, or even most. Calling me rude for saying someone is whining when they are, was an attempt to get people to say something different, and stop winning, because it is whinning after what Madoc said, twice.

I've yet to find a place a 1h is better, and Even if they exist they don't out number the places a 2h out reaching, are better.

konggary

So,
A. Torches are usable while carrying a 2-handed weapon, TBD what happens when combat mode is initiated
- Equal exploration potential for all weapon loadouts (disregarding unimplemented ranged)
- 2h weapons become too useful
- Logical/realistic

B. Torches can only be used with 1h weapons or shields
- Limits potential loadouts for exploration*
- 2h weapons become more situational
- Gives non-combat pros and cons to weapons

*You can't expect everyone to find the special helmet, it's very well hidden

PS If you can't disagree with the devs, what's the point of having these discussions?

Tyon

How about a compromise: You cannot jog or run while holding a 2-handed weapon and a torch. I think that would still give 1-handers a distinct advantage because they can run AND fight while holding a torch. It also doesn't seem too much of a meta-game thing because if I was trapped in a dark area of a run down dungeon with crap everywhere, I would not want to run and trip, possibly poking myself with my own weapon.

Greenbrog

Insider
Running and sprinting with a torch+2H weapon (say a pole-axe) isn't realistic. A 7 foot pole weapon cannot just be balanced easily with one hand, especially if you're having to manage a torch in the other. Your argument would need to be universal and it isn't.

I will reiterate the lacrosse metaphor. A defenders stick (outdoor) is roughly 6.5 feet long, and weighs next to nothing (under 3 lbs). It literally can be managed with 3 fingers. But if you want to run around a tight area with debris and darkness (yes even with a torch it's still dark, especially when you're moving quickly). Your going to have to manage the lacrosse stick a lot, and probably still get it caught on things periodically like doorways and desks and tables and chairs.

If you want to be able to wield a torch and 2h weapon, then realistically you're stuck to walking, and that is going to be much more frustrating than whatever it is you're doing now.

Madoc said he didn't want separate rules for just a couple of 2h weapons. Sorry your 2h sword gets thrown in with the rest. So without including an automatic effect to drop a torch, you're going to have to do it manually. I'm going to have to file this suggestion/complain in with sheaths for swords, as in it does it's job now, anything else would be time spent to change something that works and isn't NEEDED.

You option B is the better one. All of those things are true.

And your option A isn't completely accurate, in that "logical/realistic" would require the fire from the torch to have it's properties, and things like falling including and landing on your weapon or the torch. or dropping the torch or weapon sometimes instead of falling. Weapons aren't equal, and shouldn't have equal viability, your argument would have the broom be as good as the 2h sword (peoples skill is equal and therefore not a factor). A man using a broom fighting a man with a 2h sword doesn't win unless he's simply a much better fighter.

As I said. You're not really wrong, you're just not right enough.

Elaxter

Insider
How about a compromise: You cannot jog or run while holding a 2-handed weapon and a torch. I think that would still give 1-handers a distinct advantage because they can run AND fight while holding a torch. It also doesn't seem too much of a meta-game thing because if I was trapped in a dark area of a run down dungeon with crap everywhere, I would not want to run and trip, possibly poking myself with my own weapon.
I agree with this. Have the players unable to run with a 2h and torch, or better yet, allow them to run but have a chance of them dropping their weapon or tripping - once disarming becomes a thing. It keeps things realistic since running with a 2h and a torch throws you off balance.

Gsprfdude

Running and sprinting with a torch+2H weapon (say a pole-axe) isn't realistic. A 7 foot pole weapon cannot just be balanced easily with one hand, especially if you're having to manage a torch in the other. Your argument would need to be universal and it isn't.

I will reiterate the lacrosse metaphor. A defenders stick (outdoor) is roughly 6.5 feet long, and weighs next to nothing (under 3 lbs). It literally can be managed with 3 fingers. But if you want to run around a tight area with debris and darkness (yes even with a torch it's still dark, especially when you're moving quickly). Your going to have to manage the lacrosse stick a lot, and probably still get it caught on things periodically like doorways and desks and tables and chairs.

If you want to be able to wield a torch and 2h weapon, then realistically you're stuck to walking, and that is going to be much more frustrating than whatever it is you're doing now.

Madoc said he didn't want separate rules for just a couple of 2h weapons. Sorry your 2h sword gets thrown in with the rest. So without including an automatic effect to drop a torch, you're going to have to do it manually. I'm going to have to file this suggestion/complain in with sheaths for swords, as in it does it's job now, anything else would be time spent to change something that works and isn't NEEDED.

You option B is the better one. All of those things are true.

And your option A isn't completely accurate, in that "logical/realistic" would require the fire from the torch to have it's properties, and things like falling including and landing on your weapon or the torch. or dropping the torch or weapon sometimes instead of falling. Weapons aren't equal, and shouldn't have equal viability, your argument would have the broom be as good as the 2h sword (peoples skill is equal and therefore not a factor). A man using a broom fighting a man with a 2h sword doesn't win unless he's simply a much better fighter.

As I said. You're not really wrong, you're just not right enough.
But we never asked for exceptions, you're putting words in my mouth again. I stated facts about two-handed swords simply because I knew more about them than I did about the various polearms in the game. In my opinion both should be allowed to use torches because both are very well handled in the game.

Now I'll admit right right now that I know nothing about lacrosse, but I think I have a good knowledge on the applications of medieval weaponry and therefore believe the examples I've given to be more valid, since the discussion is about medieval weaponry. In these pictures I'm including you can see how the character handles using both a polearm and a two-handed sword.

If you notice, despite the polearm being a longer weapon, both of the weapons held in a way that they have similar lengths above the character's head. This is true to how soldiers in the past actually handled their weapons when not in active combat, so that the weapon wouldn't smack into people or objects at its leisure. And if a weapon was still proving hard to handle carrying in one hand a soldier would just hold it closer to the head of the weapon. I.e. this is how soldiers easily balanced up to and including 7 foot poles while walking and running. You said that when moving around in the darkness one would still have to manuever their lacrosse stick (or polearm/sword in this case) around a lot. I don't really see what this would have to do with anything, because whether you're holding these two-handers with one or two hands while running it could still hit stuff (less likely if you do the stuff mentioned above...). Which I've said previously and will elaborate on further later, on why I think its good that these weapons are somewhat unwieldy. So to sum this paragraph up no, I would not realistically have to walk just to hold these two things.

Now, Tyon made the point that he wouldn't want to run around in the dark and poke himself with his weapon. I agree on the basis that if I was in the dark I probably wouldn't run at all. However I believe I've already shown that it's next to impossible to stab oneself with one of these weapons, but hey I'll clarify. The only way someone can get stabbed with anything is if the point was already facing them. At no point in any of the animations for any two-handed weapons are they ever facing the character. It's impossible for you to actually stab yourself in the game (and irl, unless you again go full retard) unless the physics or the animations screw up and your characters hand go backwards. You also cannot argue the point (heh) that you could cut yourself on the edges of the weapons either. Medieval weapons were not sharp to the degree that just touching them would neccessarily cut you. It would take considerable force (even more than just tripping) for one of these weapons to actually cut you.

You and others have made the point that you think two-handed weapons are OP, but I think this is a flawed opinion because there isn't much to base it on. In regards to just fighting zombies, yeah two-handed weapons are better because they tend to do more damage and the zombies barely block, but it's not as if one-handed weapons are denied this either. I've been experimenting a lot with different weapons in exanima (two-handed and one-handed alike) to try and find what many people are saying is unbalanced about the two. And I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with the way the weapons are balanced, just the way that they are implemented. One-handed weapons despite their lower damage and range, will still have the advantage in versatility even if two-handers can use a torch while exploring (I went over the finer points of this in an earlier post). I don't think you've thought through the advantages of actually having a smaller range, albeit it situational.

I'll try to put it in really simple terms, and then elaborate on them. Long Range beats Short Range when they are at a range, I think we can all logically agree on this. The same argument also works in vice versa, Short Range beats Long Range when they are close. The statement I've given is historically accurate as this is the entire reasons polearms existed. They were kings at a distance, but once someone got past the head of the weapon, all they could do was smack the person with the pole of the weapon. This also applies to swords. In the game its very easy to say that when you're in an open room at a distance that two-handers are better. But its also easy to close that distance with a one-handed weapon, and strike them at their bad range. With longer weapons, both irl and in the game its very important that you complete a full swing of the weapon. If you don't the relative power of the strike decreases very much, and your swing could easily be swatted away. One-handed weapons are still very viable in exploration and combat, with shields making it especially easy (here's hoping for some good shield skills) to close that distance.

As for two-handed weapons they don't really have an advantage past their range and power. They are somewhat cumbersome to use in tight corridors and can get caught on furniture in the environment (in reference purely to combat, as it's very easy to mitigate it hitting objects while running around), which I think is a good thing. Quite honestly its very logical and practical to have two-handed weapons be slightly more clumsy and hard to manage in battle due to their greater length. The reason these weapons exist is because of advances in armor. Weapons got longer (this is true for one-handed weapons as well) as armor got tougher, two-handed weapons were made to counter the very tough plate armor. But this is not to say that one-handed weapons weren't useful either, in fact they recieved new applications. The most common way for someone using a two-handed weapon to die in medieval warfare was for someone with a one-handed weapons (and usually a shield) to close the distance and you through the visor (ouch).

But I also want to elaborate some more on the disadvantages of these longer weapons. To start with the weapons getting caught during combat is a great disadvantage for them to have. Two-handed weapons are also notably worse at blocking then a shield is (for obvious reasons). Finally, their range is both their greatest strength and weakness. As already went over at a close range you can basically just swat their (now) weaker swings away while flailing you're two handed weapons around. It's a lot more noticeable in arena mode where some of the combatants will close in on you and crush your armor with a mace, or hit your exposed weaknesses. I think the reasons many have said that the two-handers are OP is because with the way the map is currently arranged (and the relative intelligence of zombies) we haven't had many chances to see these weaknesses. It becomes more apparent if you are in some of the smaller areas crammed with tables while getting zerg rushed by zombies. When you get farther into exanima and fight more than just the usual zombies, its actually quite jarring how much less effective your two-hander is when the enemey can actually, you know block attacks.

If this didn't convince convince anyone that two-handers have their own weaknesses, then I'm willing to agree to disagree in the hopes of finding an agreeable way to "nerf" them for the enjoyment of the player base. However I don't believe the concept of "light management" is the basis from which we should nerf the weapons. It's flawed for several reasons myself and some others have already gone into, and just serves to make one-handed weapons the only viable choice for exploration atm (as said by konggary, you can't really expect people to find the helm). If we had to go over this more than I would say someone make a seperate thread on how to "balance" the weapons more. Off the top of my head I would suggest that using two-handed weapons adds to your encumberance meter in a way that can't be mitigated by skills, and maybe that while swinging its easier to be "carried" by the weapon and get jostled around. But again I don't think that restricting the use of a droppable torch is either realistic or fair as already gone over.

You've said that I'm not wrong, but not right enough but I'm having doubts as to whether or not you apply that to your own arguments. I'll apoligize now for my walls of text, as its not really my style to split my points up too widely over a thread. But so far I've provided both examples, facts, and evidence as to the nature and use of these weapons. All I've seen so far from you is to the effect of "no that's wrong" but not actually providing evidence to back up your claims, other than statements about lacrosse sticks (which while I can't tell you if you're wrong or not, I still don't see how they would have more to do with a discussion about medieval weapons than actually having facts about medieval weapons). I'm not saying you have to take what I'm saying as unadulterated fact because its on topic, you are free to be skeptical, I just hope that you take it for what it is, observations from someone who has extensively researched the subject. And as for your broom argument, congrats on making a straw man argument I suppose. But I think most of us are smart enough to know that sword > broom, so I'm not sure where you were going with that.

You and others mentioned Occam's Razor earlier, and I have to say I really agree with konggary (the original poster) about it. The simplest solution is the best, correct? So then tell me whats more simple; Carrying a torch in one hand and using the other to rest your long weapon on a shoulder, or having us jump in and out of an inventory bubble just to see in the dark?

Last edited:

Greenbrog

Insider
Yeah. Text wall. Nobody wins. And congratulations you took pics of them standing still. This was never a conversation about if a person CAN hold a torch in the off hand. It was SHOULD they hold a torch with 2h when running/sprinting. Whom cares if you have a torch and 2H if you can't move.

And the argument about 1H v 2H being better, probably not really about this thread. Either way. Length is better, it's a massive advantage, or there wouldn't be so many weapons trying to utilize as much of it as they can get.

Talking in universals is universally pointless. Yes, you can find situations where reach isn't better, but reach will be better much more often than not. And you say cumbersome.... doesn't that just add to the argument that they shouldn't be used with torches.

The simple solution? Is the one that requires no change. People forget that whenever you change something you have to CODE the change. Basically at this point, you have to be dam right to change something, and that is not the case here.

I used the lacrosse reference to try and explain how something that doesn't weigh anything but is cumbersome still requires a lot of managing. But I also have practiced martial arts for over 14 years including (not exclusively) practice with a spear/staff. And I've worked construction. In all of these situations dealing with cumbersome things whether light/heavy is a lot more work and managing that you give it credit for.

When you put ALL the variables together. The current setup and the Dev's stance is much more right than wrong.

If you have the same rules for all 2H weapons then, specific weapons that might be argued more stable than others gets lumped in with ones that are really hard to manage (pole-axe).

You finding 2H weapons more clumsy is a personal issue, I have just the opposite; it weighs more, and you generate more momentum but clumsy is in the controller of the character.

1H weapons are not the only ones viable for exploration, this whole thread is trying to take some of the micro managing out of using 2H weapons. Not make them viable, they already are viable. For many, dealing with dropping the torch and switching weapons is "worth it", E.G. 2H weapons are good/better enough to warrant drawbacks.

You cannot run in this games environment with a pole-axe and torch and not expect to SOMETIMES trip or stumble and drop the torch and/or pole-axe, or get you weapon caught, thrown, or wrenched/stuck when going through narrow places or cluttered areas. POLE-AXE, stop thinking about some dam long sword. In this case you have to take the WORST case scenario and work with that. Don't even have a 8ft+ long spear yet.

At this point I hope they add the element of true realism and you go sprinting through a door way and get your weapon caught across it, close-line yourself and set your self on fire and lose your character you played for 25 hours.

Last edited:

-Tim-

Insider
Oh my. If it is at all relevant, can anyone give a quick summary of the positions in this discussion and hopefully some kind of conclusion?

konggary

2H + torch
- some weapons are too cumbersome to hold with 1 hand (Greenbrog)
- removes one of the current advantages of 1H weaponry
- exploration becomes more separate from what weaponry you want to use
- no limitations on what weaponry you can use while exploring

Otherwise
- exploration becomes more difficult for 2H-based players
- non-combat pros/cons for weapons
- doesn't require changing the game

Proponents for 2h+torch argue that it simply allows for more options for exploration without being too game changing
Opponents argue that it is impractical for some 2h weapons and that the weapons don't need the buff

Last edited:

NachoDawg

@Gsprfdude Lots of good points, but I think you are underestimating the 2h against shielded opponents. And I say that backed up only with my experience in the arena: It's easier for me to beat a shielded opponent with a 2h than a 1h

I also feel that there's a big difference between pole-arms and 2h swords. The Sword can actually hit opponent closer to you, while the pole-arm (and axes) requires you to hit with the head, and that means a lot on medium distances

And thirdly, the blocking! Yes, shields has a designed defensive function in combat, but 2 handers have the psychological advantage of basically being a 1-stick-does-all tool.. The simplicity of just having to think of that one stick your physics-based avatar is holding is probably why a lot of us feel really efficient with 2-handers, and beginners definitely prefer them. They are dead simple to use despite maybe feeling cumbersome and slow

Last edited:

Gsprfdude

@Gsprfdude Lots of good points, but I think you are underestimating the 2h against shielded opponents. And I say that backed up only with my experience in the arena: It's easier for me to beat a shielded opponent with a 2h than a 1h

I also feel that there's a big difference between pole-arms and 2h swords. The Sword can actually hit opponent closer to you, while the pole-arm (and axes) requires you to hit with the head, and that means a lot on medium distances

And thirdly, the blocking! Yes, shields has a designed defensive function in combat, but 2 handers have the psychological advantage of basically being a 1-stick-does-all tool.. The simplicity of just having to think of that one stick your physics-based avatar is holding is probably why a lot of us feel really efficient with 2-handers, and beginners definitely prefer them. They are dead simple to use despite maybe feeling cumbersome and slow
Yeah Nacho you probably have more experience than me, and to be quite honest I've never beaten expert because I get to frustrated. But I was trying to compare just how the polearms and the swords are held while not in combat is similar enough, that someone wouldn't make the argument for exclusion. And you're right about the sword distance, it's still possible to hit and deal damage to someone at close range, so sorry if it seemed like I was exaggerating.

Gsprfdude

Yeah. Text wall. Nobody wins. And congratulations you took pics of them standing still. This was never a conversation about if a person CAN hold a torch in the off hand. It was SHOULD they hold a torch with 2h when running/sprinting. Whom cares if you have a torch and 2H if you can't move.

And the argument about 1H v 2H being better, probably not really about this thread. Either way. Length is better, it's a massive advantage, or there wouldn't be so many weapons trying to utilize as much of it as they can get.

Talking in universals is universally pointless. Yes, you can find situations where reach isn't better, but reach will be better much more often than not. And you say cumbersome.... doesn't that just add to the argument that they shouldn't be used with torches.

The simple solution? Is the one that requires no change. People forget that whenever you change something you have to CODE the change. Basically at this point, you have to be dam right to change something, and that is not the case here.

I used the lacrosse reference to try and explain how something that doesn't weigh anything but is cumbersome still requires a lot of managing. But I also have practiced martial arts for over 14 years including (not exclusively) practice with a spear/staff. And I've worked construction. In all of these situations dealing with cumbersome things whether light/heavy is a lot more work and managing that you give it credit for.

When you put ALL the variables together. The current setup and the Dev's stance is much more right than wrong.

If you have the same rules for all 2H weapons then, specific weapons that might be argued more stable than others gets lumped in with ones that are really hard to manage (pole-axe).

You finding 2H weapons more clumsy is a personal issue, I have just the opposite; it weighs more, and you generate more momentum but clumsy is in the controller of the character.

1H weapons are not the only ones viable for exploration, this whole thread is trying to take some of the micro managing out of using 2H weapons. Not make them viable, they already are viable. For many, dealing with dropping the torch and switching weapons is "worth it", E.G. 2H weapons are good/better enough to warrant drawbacks.

You cannot run in this games environment with a pole-axe and torch and not expect to SOMETIMES trip or stumble and drop the torch and/or pole-axe, or get you weapon caught, thrown, or wrenched/stuck when going through narrow places or cluttered areas. POLE-AXE, stop thinking about some dam long sword. In this case you have to take the WORST case scenario and work with that. Don't even have a 8ft+ long spear yet.

At this point I hope they add the element of true realism and you go sprinting through a door way and get your weapon caught across it, close-line yourself and set your self on fire and lose your character you played for 25 hours.
Complains about text walls, says length is better, following that logic I've won several times over (funny jokes).

I'm still not very convinced that you read my posts, because you still think I'm caught up on longswords when I'm not, and I think most people already got that. The point of the pictures I included weren't to show the weapons while running. They were just meant to show that longswords and polearms at the same length, so most arguments I made about longswords would be mutual to polearms as well. I'm not hung up on longswords, I prefer them but I'm not hung up on them. Every point I made about swords still applies to polearms. They were further developed for anti-armor capabilities, they had an even bigger weakness at closer ranges, and you are less likely to injure yourself with a polearm than a sword (one-sided and longer).

I believe that my statement about the encumbrance of two-handed weapons does hold weight (heh) here. Your main reasons for not wanting torches with two-handers is
1. Realism (which I already believe I've proven to be very realistic)
2. Two-Handers are OP
So how is me trying to compromise by making two-handers less OP in the eyes of the playerbase not related if its one of your main reasons for not allowing torches?

And yeah if we go brass tacks then the simplest solution would be not to change anything, the simplest solution would also have been not to make a suggestions forum. Occam's Razor was brought up purely in regards to what the solution to the problem would be, not who has to do it. You act like we're suggesting something ludicrous when all we're saying is that the left arm has other uses when not in combat. It doesn't need to sit there, and move to hold the weapon when you run. You bring up that holding something like that is more hard than it would seem, but It's really not. I've done it myself with various weapons and tools (most being farming tools which consist mainly of poles) it's really no work at all, so I don't know what else to tell you about that, do more bicep curls? Especially since you only really hold onto the weapons while running (which you shouldn't do too often for obvious reasons), the rest of the time your character just lightly rests it on their shoulder.

As for your statement about me being set on fire...
I'm pretty sure that if this is implemented the torch will be held in the left very similar to how it is held when someone is using a one-hander. We're both going to trip at some point, mine might just come sooner (assuming I even sprint though doors, which I don't) before yours due to the weapons more cumbersome nature (didn't you say you wanted drawbacks for two-handers?). So congratulations now we're both on fire, I guess we both lose?

I'm going to end this here in the effort to keep this relatively short, maybe this time you'll get around to actually reading my post.

Last edited:

Greenbrog

Insider
We fundamentally disagree on the amount of management it takes to deal with a cumbersome object.

Honest role playing would dictate you try to account for all variables. I'm not going to make a list but the collection of variables is long, and even when naked holding a torch on a heavy short person you can easily trip. As you add in variables this chance will just continue to grow.

Tripping can and will mean death, serious injury.

You want to justify making the likelihood of falling much higher go ahead.

At this point I hope Madoc does change it, and you just constantly keep tripping, eating shit, and dieing; or losing your torch. I hope he also puts in damage for tripping, scaling with the weapon type and whether you land on the torch.

It is simply fact that trying to manage a 2h weapon and torch with be more cumbersome than one or the other.

In a game that has tried to imbue so much honest role playing You should be trying to manage risk, not justifying more.

You haven't refuted anything I've said. You haven't convinced me. I do want MORE/DIFFERENT light sources.

I truly hope you lose 20 hour save games to poor risk management, and not adapting. I admit as much as you, it is obnoxious how it is now. I played for at least 40 hours of switching. Now, I just use a 1H and torch; adapt or die.

Last edited:

Gsprfdude

We fundamentally disagree on the amount of management it takes to deal with a cumbersome object.

Honest role playing would dictate you try to account for all variables. I'm not going to make a list but the collection of variables is long, and even when naked holding a torch on a heavy short person you can easily trip. As you add in variables this chance will just continue to grow.

Tripping can and will mean death, serious injury.

You want to justify making the likelihood of falling much higher go ahead.

At this point I hope Madoc does change it, and you just constantly keep tripping, eating shit, and dieing; or losing your torch. I hope he also puts in damage for tripping, scaling with the weapon type and whether you land on the torch.

It is simply fact that trying to manage a 2h weapon and torch with be more cumbersome than one or the other.

In a game that has tried to imbue so much honest role playing You should be trying to manage risk, not justifying more.

You haven't refuted anything I've said. You haven't convinced me. I do want MORE/DIFFERENT light sources.

I truly hope you lose 20 hour save games to poor risk management, and not adapting. I admit as much as you is obnoxious how it is now. I played for at least 40 hours of switching. Now, I just use a one hander and torch; adapt or die.
The idea of us being burned and injured by our own weapons and tools seems farfetched. At that point you're getting into the territory of realistic v.s. practical. Is it realistic to assume that you might scorch yourself on your own torch? Yeah it's certainly possible, but is it practical gameplay wise to have it happen? Not really, it would more of an annoyance than anything, and I doubt you would get to terribly injured if you fell on your torch anyway.

And really? You're still going to wish ill on my save games in Exanima? You act as if I'm some rookie when I'm not, I've gotten to the end of Exanima twice now (three counting when the portal ended the game) and it definitely didn't take me even close to 20-25 hours. You're just getting sour because being stubborn isn't fun.

And if we're being clear here, using a two-handed weapon on one shoulder while running wouldn't make your chances of tripping skyrocket. It's not like I'm promoting a weapon that involves tying your shoelaces together. It's either a pole with a head, or a shaft of metal only being raised about 1-2 feet above your head. Both of which are still on average about 5lbs give or take, we're not using the buster sword from Final Fantasy. We're using realistic weapons, with realistic applications. It's not a far stretch to use both a torch and a two-hander at the same time.

If we're referring to whether or not they should use both from a role play risk management perspective I think the benefits outweigh any risks. It's been said by many people in many arguments on what someone should bring into battle, with the most common (and tried and true) answer being that whatever the person feels the most skilled and comfortable with. So what would you do? Abandon the weapon you feel most comfortable with because you feel anxious about running around with it while holding a torch? In that sense I think my role playing is going just fine.

Anyway I think I'm done, its become obvious to me that nothing else I say will really accomplish anything. I'm going to take whatever high ground is left, and bow out.

Last edited:

Mowglia

It's very possible for someone using smaller weapons to block and close the distance between two people. At that point the person with the larger weapons isn't able to properly swing their weapon and is now at the disadvantage.

One of my favourite weapons is the shortsword from Level 4, it's pure evil. I regularly use it to close the gap, especially (but not necessarily) in confined spaces and monster the opponent while they struggle to get a swing in.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.