The guy you want to do your combat

SonOfCapiz

When this started on Kickstarter, I wasn't impressed, I'll be honest. But then the combat video came up and I was blown away. I immediately told all my friends (and some who weren't :D) about it. I see the immense potential in it and think it could be the best medieval combat ever seen in a game.

Now to the reason I signed up for the forums. Iirc, you mentioned in one of these threads that you were still looking for people to sign on specially with regards to combat. There is only one guy you want to do this. He goes by Duke Patrick/spookyfx. He has had 30 years of experience with actual medieval fighting in the SCA and has used this knowledge to mod combat for Oblivion and Skyrim, and some of his implementations were adapted for Skyrim.

His implementation is simple and very intuitive (no "up + down + left + right + lmb + rmb to parry!) and creates a very deep and immersive combat system. I kid you not when I say I will not play either Oblivion or Skyrim without his mods. I do not know him personally (heck we don't even live on the same continent), he is not paying me in any form, and is not even aware I am doing this. I am only telling you about him because of the selfish reason that I want his combat system in my game of Sui Generis.

Here is the latest version of his Skyrim mod if you care to see the latest features of his WIP (although he can get frustrated by the limitations imposed by the game engine)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1425238-duke-patricks-archery-and-heavy-weapons-combat/

and here are some excerpts from the book he wrote on advanced medieval fighting:

http://www.spookyfx.com/book/tromp.html

Believe you me you want this guy if you want this game to be the best it can be.

SonOfCapiz

I've never made videos before so I don't know how. When I was playing Oblivion before, I saw a few vids on youtube of the mod in action but I can't find them now.

here's the best I could find on his channel:

Note, it's from OB. He has no Skyrim mods since he says he hasn't had time to make a vid of the Skyrim one because he is constantly developing it. It's actually not his OB combat mod per se being showcased but the weapon he made that can SHATTER SHIELDS!

However, he is using the mod in the vid so you can see features like the much smarter and reactive AI doing dodging and weaving, and I believe the shield actually blocking a hit even without holding the block button. Other features you don't see there are locational damage, the "smash of the titans" feature that allows large creatures to bat you off your feet, momentum (more force and damage) and arrows alerting NPCs you missed.

For Skyrim, for more info it's best to read the description on the forums link I posted.

EDIT: Oh yes I forgot the shield charge/bash shown on that vid at 0:45

EDIT 2: Here's another fan made vid of his double arrow shot mod allowing you to knock and shoot 2 arrows at once, either at different targets or just one.

Tony

Insider
Hmm, I don't think the Bare Mettle team needs someone to design the mechanics of combat. I think what the team is looking for is a professional animator (probably one experienced in reproducing accurate melee combat) who can do the animations for combat.

I like the first video you posted since he seems to be going for a somewhat more realistic approach than the game originally had. But I do not appreciate the second video. Shooting two arrows wasn't really practical, especially considering that his arrows seem to have heat seeking capabilities and always hit their mark.

SonOfCapiz

It was a video by a fan showing the mod in action. I don't think he'll show himself missing shots. :D You still have to aim and archery skill matters iirc.

Tony

Insider
It was a video by a fan showing the mod in action. I don't think he'll show himself missing shots. :D You still have to aim and archery skill matters iirc.
Hmm, so how do you aim two arrows simultaneously? Does the mod make them always branch off at the exact same angles or?

SonOfCapiz

I can't find the mod on the nexus anymore but iirc, you first aim at one then again at the second target then activate. If you look at the video again, you can see him move the pointer to the second target on more than one occasion. I think that's when he "activates" and chooses the second target. I did get that mod but didn't use it much as I never did get to level my archer character.

Tony

Insider
I can't find the mod on the nexus anymore but iirc, you first aim at one then again at the second target then activate. If you look at the video again, you can see him move the pointer to the second target on more than one occasion. I think that's when he "activates" and chooses the second target. I did get that mod but didn't use it much as I never did get to level my archer character.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Seems like it might have been fun for that particular game, but again, I really doubt Bare Mettle will do anything similar since they are focusing on a believable world. Shooting (and aiming) two arrows in two different directions simultaneously definitely doesn't fall under this category ;)

MrIdontKnow

Insider
I've watched the videos, I don't know about the time but I don't see anything different? I just see the normal hack and slash.

SonOfCapiz

I've watched the videos, I don't know about the time but I don't see anything different? I just see the normal hack and slash.
As I said, the only mods really being shown in those vids are the double arrow thing and the shield shatter both of which are most certainly not in vanilla OB, so the other features like locational damage and smarter AI can't be seen in those vids. And from my experience, no vids do it justice as you really have to use it to see and feel the difference.

Vanilla Oblivion and Skyrim play nothing like it to the point that I stopped playing Skyrim just a few hours in and waited for his mod to be released and absolutely refuse to play without. I remember how, despite the improvements in Skyrim combat, some of which were widely attributed to his mod, it just could've been a lot more. I'd hate for SG to be like that.

Tony

Insider
Vanilla Oblivion and Skyrim play nothing like it to the point that I stopped playing Skyrim just a few hours in and waited for his mod to be released and absolutely refuse to play without. I remember how, despite the improvements in Skyrim combat, some of which were widely attributed to his mod, it just could've been a lot more. I'd hate for SG to be like that.
I understand your concern and I think it's a perfectly valid one. But what gives me hope concerning Sui Generis is their general concept of reinventing the wheel in almost every aspect of the game. They're not cloning other games and doing things in a generic fashion. I believe they have a high standard that they are creating the game with and I don't think they'll waver on something as important as combat.

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.