Thoughts and Ideas General

Mr.Gomez

Insider
Heh, truly the sign of a struggling intellect when all you can muster are petty insults and unjustified claims.. Not worth the time really..

-Tim-

Insider
Gentlemen, this is broad thread for discussing thoughts and ideas that might have relevance to Sui Generis and Exanima. It is a potentially important and useful thread for the community and the developers. Please keep that in mind as you discuss ideas and adjust your tone, demeanor and argumentation accordingly.

Gentlemen, this is broad thread for discussing thoughts and ideas that might have relevance to Sui Generis and Exanima. It is a potentially important and useful thread for the community and the developers. Please keep that in mind as you discuss ideas and adjust your tone, demeanor and argumentation accordingly.
I couldn't agree more. Ideas are just that, ideas. We all have different ideas and there is no reason to dismiss someone's idea no matter how far fetched. We will all play Exanima and SG for different reasons, have different playstyles, etc. I am sure some of the ideas I have had don't fit into the theme of the game, but guess what, thats for the developer to decide. IMO a mod should clean up this thread and remove the arguing, so if Maddoc want's to comb this thread, he can get ideas and not have to wade through 4-6 pages of arguing per idea.

Jenn BRD

Syllabear3

I couldn't agree more. Ideas are just that, ideas. We all have different ideas and there is no reason to dismiss someone's idea no matter how far fetched. We will all play Exanima and SG for different reasons, have different playstyles, etc. I am sure some of the ideas I have had don't fit into the theme of the game, but guess what, thats for the developer to decide. IMO a mod should clean up this thread and remove the arguing, so if Maddoc want's to comb this thread, he can get ideas and not have to wade through 4-6 pages of arguing per idea.

Jenn BRD
Can't agree more with you guys. I come with an excellent idea and i only get harassed by people that barely spend time on this game.

BM about the RolePlay experience:

Yes, you start the game as an anonymous villager. The whole point here is that you create your own character and write your own story. If you want to play a named hero with a rich background, predefined personality and a clear mission ahead, then you're looking at the wrong game. Personally, we feel completely alienated from such characters.
Yes, your character does turn out to be special. If you weren't special you wouldn't stand a chance. And here comes a spoiler. Rather than providing you with this astounding power to record moments in time and return to them whenever you please (read save/load) so that you may win every battle, eventually, even by pure chance; we thought it better for it to be an element of the story. We don't just brush over this as an every day "respawn" or other mechanic. Also, to quote our project page, "not as vague mythology but actual chains of events leading to the current situation".
Yes, our world is under duress, you won't be picking daisies. As for a looming threat, you may have no idea what it is until it's too late. Nothing is as it seems. There is no evil in our world. There may be lack of scruples, ruthlessness or just genuine oversight, but motives are often complex and valid to those who hold them.
What you should be paying attention to when reading our brief summary of the premise are the "ifs" and "buts". We dislike linear story, we hate linear story, no, we truly despise linear story. If you asked us what is as pleasant as being poked in the eye, we'd have to answer "linear story".
We have not given you a story. We have intentionally lured you into thinking of this as a fairly typical fantasy RPG. Guess what? We don't like those either. We are of a skeptical nature and when faced with the usual fantasy claptrap, much like an inquisitive child, our answer is simply "but why?". There is lots of because in our world. We have taken what appears to be generic fantasy and given it a whole new twist. A lot of effort has gone into this and to reveal it would be to throw it all away. We hold it more dear than the funds we are trying to raise. If by not revealing it we fail in securing your support, then so be it.
We have been asked about character interactions and such. Well, sometimes we want to chat and sometimes we just want to kill stuff. Must be those hormones. Thing is, when the latter mood takes us, and some whining NPC decides to illustrate their sensitive nature to us, the solution is clear: smack 'em in the gob, throw 'em in the river, then perhaps evaluate whether their home looks to be a suitable place to store our booty. If this errant behaviour should upset someone, well, let them come. That, to us, is role playing. What we tend to be presented with in "games with choices" is something like this:
1) Help the distressed peasant now
2) Help the distressed peasant later
3) Help the distressed peasant reluctantly
That is not role playing. We don't know what it is, but we don't like it.
You may encounter characters with sunny dispositions that are not always genuine and heartfelt. You may find yourself trying to divine your interlocutor's true intent, hopefully you are well versed in the arts of subtlety and sarcasm. You may also encounter characters with good or even noble intentions, and yet these intentions may not be in your best interests. Our game will certainly feature moral dilemmas and ambiguities.
Very very cool =)

Mr.Gomez

Insider
Im not sure how relevant that information is now, that post is 4 years old, but then again they may still be aiming for that!

dabarrett

Insider
I for one love how stubborn BM is with how they make their game, they are genuinely passionate about how they want it to be and I for one am happy with what they have so far with that. I trust them to make a quality game and they have in no way disappointed with the results, they aren't so stubborn as to lead the game into ruin and they make smart decisions regarding changes. Good job so far BM and if you're reading this thanks for your effort

MikeHBS

I was thinking about one handed sword thrust attacks, I think we need a different animation when thrusting from the left-to-right.

rsdnfsdn

More a thought than an idea, but the new armours are IMO way better looking than the old stuff. The newer stuff is generally sleek and form-fitting (as good armour had to be by necessity), the old items by comparison look bulky and include mistakes the newer gear avoids, for example plate armours with breastplates that extend too far down which would render your entire waist inflexible and prevent you from foghting properly.
Basically I wonder if old assets will be updated or replaced so that all gear meets the standards of the newer stuff. Also, I think that there are a number of items that probably should get overhauled or replaced, for example the wooden round shield which IMO is way too bulky looking. A sleek metal-faced rotella-type shield could serve as a far nicer looking replacement in the role of a very robust but moderately sized round shield.

Also, I suggest the new "splint" armour gets renamed to brigandine as it more closely resembles that type of armour. In fact if you do a google image search for brigandine you will find some photos of cuisses that look just like the splint ones in Exanima.

Image comparing old and new assets:
http://imgur.com/a/nqap8
(as far as I know the heater shield isn't very new, but its thickness contrasts with the overly heavy looking round shield)
HEMA dudes using rotellas:
http://imgur.com/a/x16f0
Again, I think it would be a good replacement for the big chunky round shield. A vikingesque one would be cool too.

Last edited:

Syllabear3

More a thought than an idea, but the new armours are IMO way better looking than the old stuff. The newer stuff is generally sleek and form-fitting (as good armour had to be by necessity), the old items by comparison look bulky and include mistakes the newer gear avoids, for example plate armours with breastplates that extend too far down which would render your entire waist inflexible and prevent you from foghting properly.
Basically I wonder if old assets will be updated or replaced so that all gear meets the standards of the newer stuff. Also, I think that there are a number of items that probably should get overhauled or replaced, for example the wooden round shield which IMO is way too bulky looking. A sleek metal-faced rotella-type shield could serve as a far nicer looking replacement in the role of a very robust but moderately sized round shield.

Also, I suggest the new "splint" armour gets renamed to brigandine as it more closely resembles that type of armour. In fact if you do a google image search for brigandine you will find some photos of cuisses that look just like the splint ones in Exanima.

Image comparing old and new assets:
http://imgur.com/a/nqap8
(as far as I know the heater shield isn't very new, but its thickness contrasts with the overly heavy looking round shield)
HEMA dudes using rotellas:
http://imgur.com/a/x16f0
Again, I think it would be a good replacement for the big chunky round shield. A vikingesque one would be cool too.
It may be good but i am seeing more cliping and weird meshes like ive been posting lately.

The last armour i posted bends when the character turns, metal doesnt bend so easily... i think.

This one im talking about.

Qazlal

Ingame achievements and rewards

Hello, I know Exanima is not in that condition to think about achievements yet, but in released version of the game I would like to see well made achievement management. I was thinking about:
1. Add option "Extras" to the main menu, which will lead to: "Achievements", "Credits" (of course) and "Gallery";
2. Completing an achieve would open different bonuses, for an instance:
- killing a monstrosity would open its model in a gallery, especially useful for bosses;
- finding legendary items in the story mode would open the items in the arena mode (the helmet from the hideout, the sword before first portal, magical weapon and its crystals);
3. Level passing will open different sketches, developer thoughts and other interesting things for the level;
So that comes to my mind at the moment. I just don't want to see achievement manager as rudimentary and useless trash like Steam offers.

Peasant135

I think Exanima needs a big fighting arena. Current ones are just too small for 3v3 and Ogre fights. And the option to set a 4v4 and 5v5 matches.

Last edited:

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.