Uh, merchant/fisherman RPG?

So what's with people wanting to play ordinary people in RPGs? Like...fishermen and merchants?

Yes, I am kind of nitpicking about one of the comments on Kickstarter, but only because I personally find it a little strange to want to roleplay (at least in open world RPGs) anything other than someone important and whose life is high risk/reward. It's not that you can't roleplay someone ordinary, because we're all ordinary and we all know ordinary people go through trials and tribulations too, but I don't hear people talk about that. I just hear them pretty much say, "I want to play an NPC in an open-world RPG."

I don't mean any offense to anyone -- especially the person who made the original comment on the Kickstarter. I'm just wondering what inspires someone to want to do that as opposed to playing a character who can do extraordinary things. Again, it's not because ordinary people are boring, but, rather, in a video game (especially fantasy fiction), the metaphors and lessons in life are best translated through the extraordinary and the fantastical.

There are exceptions, and perhaps someone can enlighten me, but that's just how I see it. Any thoughts?

Valvar

For me it's a mix. I'd be very happy to play as a fisherman or merchant, but I'd want to be the best (or at least second best) fisherman there was! It all depends on how it fits into the the game. In a singleplayer RPG I, too, have a hard time imagining why anyone would want to play as a fisherman or shop assistant. But imagine that you are a clever, travelling merchant! You monpolize resources, and then squeeze every last copper out of the villagers who need your precious salts and knives! Or you are a Master Fisher. You provide the town with amazing catches and everyone admires you for your unmatched fishing skills!
Of course, this would work much better in a multiplayer context, where specializing is encouraged and rewarded. My favourite example is Mortal Online (which I would unfortunately not recommend anyone to buy) where you are forced to specialize, and where there are guilds of specialized thieves, crafters, animal tamers and herders and a plethora of other professions made possible through a well executed and limited skilltrees.

I understand why it works in MMOs or single-playing games specializing in that kind of experience. I just don't understand why people would want to do it in something like Sui Generis or Morrowind or Baldur's Gate or...

People tend to confuse "open world RPG" with "simulation of the mundane things in real life". Personally, I feel like this constant push towards simulation and realism could harm the video gaming experience. It's not that elements of realism don't have a place in roleplaying video games -- quite the contrary, actually -- but overdoing such aspects creates less of a story-driven, emotionally-charged game and more of a simulation.

And, IMO, if I wanted a sim, I'd play...well...The Sims.

Tony

Insider
Hmm, I have a friend who always prefers to play a regular character as opposed to an extraordinary character. He says that if you're playing as a regular Joe then when you do extraordinary feats (say taking on several opponents at once) it's more rewarding than if you do something with a hero-type badass character. I can see where he's coming from but at the same time I usually prefer a less ordinary character simply because they tend to offer more options gameplay-wise.

Well, a regular Joe performing extraordinary feats or being up against real world challenges is another thing completely, and that I can jive with.

Tony

Insider
As far as people wanting to play a regular Joe character that does nothing extraordinary in the game? I would find this incredibly boring. I suppose I can see why people would want this type of interaction in an MMO type game, where a large part of it is based upon social interaction... but I have no idea why anyone would desire to play such a role in a single player (or CO-OP) game where you're mostly dealing with AI instead of people.

Tony

Insider
As a side note... If they added realism to the extreme I think it might be fun to have the option to play a fisherman. Having to actually sail a ship, give orders to the crew, deploy the nets, fishing mini-game (say you had to actually move your mouse in a tugging gesture while reeling in the line - too fast or too slow and you risk losing the fish), sell your fish to the market, fight off sea monsters, etc. could be a lot of fun! But to add this much depth for something that isn't necessary to the main game isn't likely to happen. Especially considering how small the dev team is. Basically, unless they added enough depth to whatever role they gave you the option to play then it wouldn't be much fun.

MowLiao

Insider
I think it's mainly the people who get off on lore who'd enjoy not being so special in games.

I'd know... I'm one of them. =P

It's part of the role-playing element, where you role-play a particular person in a particular situation - not be the all-amazing person where every opportunity is magically presented to you, and suddenly you're ruler of the WORLD (why you? why not every other NPC who has been living in this world for longer than you have?).

You get a glimpse of what the world would be like if you had lived in it. It especially isn't boring if behind the setting of the world is an incredibly well constructed lore. It also means everything will have far more detail, with maximum interactivity - now that's what I look for in games.

I don't know why, but when I heard about people sweeping the floors of pubs in Oblivion or Skyrim, I immediately thought, "Ooh, can I be employed at the pub?", only to realise that: No. Only NPCs have that privilege. Is that just me? I think I'd much rather get paid for providing a service to the community in the game rather than beat people to death for their items, unless I was told to with good reason.

... I think I'm freak among gamers. o_O

EDIT: 'Think it's also for people who're slight work-a-holics - they have to play a game which is like working when they're not working. =P

Home|Games|Media|Store|Account|Forums|Contact

© Copyright 2019 Bare Mettle Entertainment Ltd. All rights reserved.